Art of the Possible: Backgrounds

All right, so here's the basic format for stats. This is not quite finalized, but close. As this implies, the ruleset is very nearly finished, and at the moment, I'm going for a more streamlined approach to units and resources like in BOTWAWKI, rather than the massive amount of black-boxing used in Capto Iugulum. My latest brainwaves have been dedicated towards resolving the tech problem and the issue of manpower/reasonable army sizes and strengths. For those interested, here's the reasoning on those two issues so far:

1. The Tech Problem: Initially I was simply going to use the EU4 technology model for advancement. I decided instead to toss technological control completely from player control, with several exceptions. I am keeping the Special Project format from Capto Iugulum, wherein occasionally players will receive IC messages from independent research teams requesting funding for a technological project. Some of these may be good ideas, some may be bad ideas that sound good. A basic rule will be that you will be more likely to receive a special project with a high IC to EP ratio, as that represents a more developed and educated economy. Of course that may apply for most types of projects, but Special Projects will not only be exclusive to Great Powers (though admittedly, they will receive more). When it comes to more day-to-day technology used by military forces and civilians, these are not modeled directly in stats. Instead, for the military, the level of technology you use will be represented in Doctrine section, which I'll go over more at a later date. Throughout the game, other key technologies will emerge from civilian interests in suitable countries, with exception of those that come from Special Projects.

2. Army Sizes. I am aware that the size and strength of the Russian army in CI has become a bit notorious. In order to fix that, I have made some serious changes to the way armies work. First of all, we have the new supply/fuel usage system. The amount of supplies used by your forces will be substantial deterrent to a massive army. But, I hear you ask, what about someone who has banked or borrowed an abhorrent amount of supplies? Rather than have manpower as an individual stat to track, all nations will have a set cap on numbers of divisions they can field, based on their population. Added to this, losses will no longer be calculated in terms of individual units lost. Instead being calculated in loss of total army strength over the course of a campaign. Exceptions will be made in extreme cases where entire divisions are annihilated through various means, but this will be a comparative rarity. Having losses calculated by total army strength will take an enormous amount of updating pressure and energy off of me, and make updates go more quickly. On your end, building individual divisions will be substantially more costly, and during war time, more expense will go instead to replacing losses in total Army Strength rather than replacing lost brigades. I believe that will mean less micromanagement required by players in this particular game when compared to CI. Exact calculations for replacing lost Army Strength have yet to be finalized, but they will be included in the ruleset when complete.

Nation Name: Player Name
Government Type: Head of State
Head of Government [If Applicable]: Name
Legislature [If Applicable]: Majority Party/Coalition (Ideology)
Dominant Issues [Always at least one, never more than five]
-Issue #1
-Issue #2
Economic Points: Bank (Per Turn)
Industrial Capacity: #
Supplies: #
Fuel: # (Per Turn)
Army Size: # Infantry Divisions, # Cavalry Divisions (Total/Maximum)
Army Strength: % Intact
Army Doctrine:
Navy: List of Units
Navy Doctrine:
Colonies: Total EP/IC Production of Colonies
Spoiler :

Colony Name: EP/IC Production
-Governance: What type of rule is had over this colony
-Garrison: Local Units (Included in Army Size Section)
-Colonial Issue: Single Dominant Issue Only

Expeditionary Forces
Spoiler :

Expeditionary Force Name
-Theater of Operations: Location
-Unit Makeup: List of involved units

1. The Tech Problem: Initially I was simply going to use the EU4 technology model for advancement. I decided instead to toss technological control completely from player control, with several exceptions. I am keeping the Special Project format from Capto Iugulum, wherein occasionally players will receive IC messages from independent research teams requesting funding for a technological project. Some of these may be good ideas, some may be bad ideas that sound good. A basic rule will be that you will be more likely to receive a special project with a high IC to EP ratio, as that represents a more developed and educated economy. Of course that may apply for most types of projects, but Special Projects will not only be exclusive to Great Powers (though admittedly, they will receive more). When it comes to more day-to-day technology used by military forces and civilians, these are not modeled directly in stats. Instead, for the military, the level of technology you use will be represented in Doctrine section, which I'll go over more at a later date. Throughout the game, other key technologies will emerge from civilian interests in suitable countries, with exception of those that come from Special Projects.
I'm very happy with this. Scientific projects that arise from challenges were one of the coolest things in BOTWAWKI for me. Will we be also choosing between several proposed special projects (like scientific research in BOTWAWKI) or just choose whether or not we want to allocate any spending to a particular proposal?
2. Army Sizes. I am aware that the size and strength of the Russian army in CI has become a bit notorious. In order to fix that, I have made some serious changes to the way armies work. First of all, we have the new supply/fuel usage system. The amount of supplies used by your forces will be substantial deterrent to a massive army. But, I hear you ask, what about someone who has banked or borrowed an abhorrent amount of supplies? Rather than have manpower as an individual stat to track, all nations will have a set cap on numbers of divisions they can field, based on their population. Added to this, losses will no longer be calculated in terms of individual units lost. Instead being calculated in loss of total army strength over the course of a campaign. Exceptions will be made in extreme cases where entire divisions are annihilated through various means, but this will be a comparative rarity. Having losses calculated by total army strength will take an enormous amount of updating pressure and energy off of me, and make updates go more quickly. On your end, building individual divisions will be substantially more costly, and during war time, more expense will go instead to replacing losses in total Army Strength rather than replacing lost brigades. I believe that will mean less micromanagement required by players in this particular game when compared to CI. Exact calculations for replacing lost Army Strength have yet to be finalized, but they will be included in the ruleset when complete.
Lots of good stuff here, but the system of total army strength raises some questions.

1. How is it going to work with geographically sprawling (Russia, China, the US) and intercontinental (the UK, France) countries? For instance, if the metropolitan French army gets badly beaten, will the lowered army strength affect its colonial forces as well? If Russian forces get mauled in Eastern Europe, will its Far Eastern garrison be affected as well?
2. How does the army strength transition to its expeditionary forces?
3. When demobilized, will the country's military strength be reduced, and grow to 100% when fully mobilized?
4. Does the army strength affect, say, air force?

I'm asking these questions not to object the new system, but just to work through some gray areas.
Dominant Issues [Always at least one, never more than five]
-Issue #1
-Issue #2
I think this system appeared just before the end of Capto Iugulum, and I liked it a lot. It was very helpful and transparent, since any player could quickly learn what's going on in the country.

Will those issues have any sort of "severity" stat, indicating how heated the discussion on the issue is? I'm okay with "no," if you don't want to be too slammed with data updates, but I think it could be very helpful as well.

1. Yes, while the garrisons would not be affected immediately (as in, in the update the losses take place) the rules would assume that soldiers would stripped from those other garrisons to reinforce losses in more essential areas. So yes, other divisions in further reaching areas will be affected by total Army Strength losses.

2. Expeditionary forces are included in the total army strength, and are otherwise equal as stated above.

3. Mobilization status will not affect military strength, but the increased costs of supply production in peacetime will encourage players to demobilize some divisions to save on supply production or risk falling behind economically.

4. No, Army Strength does not affect navy or air force. Navy, due to its nature, will be calculated in more standard units and losses. I.e., you will have Destroyer Squadrons, Carriers, Battleships, etc, and they are sunk rather than a total damage. Air Force will have its own separate "Air Force Strength" stat when it comes up 10-15 updates into the game.

As for the domestic issues, namely if it's a serious matter, it'll be in the Issues section. If it isn't serious, it won't be there. If it is critical, you should be able to tell that from the previous update, because if you reach a critical stage, it sure won't be a silent matter. On that note, freer societies will have a lot easier of a time recognizing the escalation of a issue through protests and what not. In an authoritarian regime, people are less likely to visibly act out until it becomes a more severe issue. On the other hand, more protests in a free society also allow for more possibilities of anarchy and turmoil. So pick your poison.

In other news, I have made some changes to Reus' map. The Dominican Republic no longer exists and has been returned to Spain, along with Cuba and Puerto Rico. Spain's background will be respectively updated to reflect this.

Spoiler :

I know what I'd do if I were Spain.

All backgrounds are 100% complete and so is the map, now provided below:

Spoiler :

Over the rest of this week I'll be working on stats and finishing up the rules, so we should have a launch date of Friday at the earliest, next Tuesday at the latest.

You are a machine EQ.

It is a slightly different color, and after further review, I'm going back to the vicky2 map because the borders are more accurate and I like Golden France.

It is a slightly different color, and after further review, I'm going back to the vicky2 map because the borders are more accurate and I like Golden France.

Sad Face.

Die.

Watashi Mexicano desu! XDDDd

The map looks great.

All backgrounds are 100% complete and so is the map, now provided below:

Spoiler :

Over the rest of this week I'll be working on stats and finishing up the rules, so we should have a launch date of Friday at the earliest, next Tuesday at the latest.

I agree with Christos, this is a decent map.

It's interesting how, in Asia, history appears to have gone exactly according to the original timeline. No chance you'd be willing to mix things up a bit?

I agree with Shadowbound. It seems like Napoleon butterflies only affected Europe.

Not quite sure why, but Portuguese and British (?) treaty ports in China are Hailing and Chuanshan islands respectively instead of Macau and Hong Kong. Is this intentional?

We're going back to the Victoria 2 map, because I like it better and it's more accurate across the board. MY WHIM IS LAW. Also, Golden France, because Five Nights at France.

There are definitely butterflies in Asia, but I went with slightly more subtle ones than the obvious changes elsewhere in the world. For example, you may notice the Boxer Rebellion was earlier, and the Taiping Rebellion lasted longer, among other small things. China as a whole is substantially more unstable than it was in our timeline. As a result, Korea is far more influenced by Japan than they were historically, and are closer as nations. The consequences of these minor divergences, based on my research and books, are far more likely to be felt in the 20th century than in the period the background events cover. Though they may appear to be roughly similar to OTL at the moment, I am confident that the early 20th century will be extremely different thanks to the divergences that took place and ones that will inevitably be caused by players.

Top Bottom