1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice

As the Prophets foretold

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Duuk, May 24, 2018.

1. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

If we don't get DLC I don't see why we wouldn't get two more expansions since I don't expect one more to contain all previous Civs and I don't see how we would leave some of the regulars out.
    2nd Expansion:
    European Slot: Portugal
    "Turkey" Slot: Ottoman
    Americas Slot: Inca
    Near East Slot: Babylon
    Africa Slot: Mali

3rd Expansion
    European Slot: Austria
    "Turkey" Slot: Byzantines
    Americas Slot: Mayan
    Near East Slot: Carthage? Close enough :)
    Africa Slot: Ethiopia

That leaves 3 more slots for each expansion for new or possible returning ones.
    I would do Italy, Samoa and the Navajo for the second and Benin, Assyria, and Gran Colombia for the third.

2. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

Nice breakdown. I do think when they're done, there will likely be at least one of those series regulars that they do end up leaving out, as they definitely seem to be more interested in filling out new civs overall. I'm not sure which from that list it will be, but even with 1 missing, that's still 6 returning civs to add, which likely means at least 4-6 new civs to be added as well, which is too much for a single expansion.

3. PrairieDad

PrairieDad Chieftain

Wishful thinking, I'm afraid...though I'll really admit it's what I wish for, too.

Alexander's Hetaroi likes this.
  4. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

I’m really hoping we get two more expansions. It might be wishful thinking, but hopefully not impossible.

The next expansion will hopefully focus on the mid / late game, governance (governments, policy, governors, loyalty, ideaology and diplomacy) and industrialisation. I’m fairly confident we’ll get some if not all of that.

I’m hoping we might then get another expansion focusing on exploration, colonisation and de-colonisation. But I can see that might be wishful thinking, sadly.

PrairieDad likes this.
  5. Duuk

Duuk Doom-Sayer Supporter

I'm not optimistic about 3 expansions. It would be a break from Firaxis' modus operandi in a big way.

If you said "the 2nd xpac will have 10 civs instead of the normal 8" I might think that was an interesting idea, but betting on a whole 3rd xpac seems less likely than the idea of DLC was.

PrairieDad likes this.
  6. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

Sadly, I think you’re right @Duuk .

The only reason I think we might get more than one ‘expansion’ (perhaps an expansion and some slightly larger dlc) is because, perhaps counterintuitively, the base game is just so complete. The base game is so solid, it feels crazy FXS would then move to interrating a new version of civ, rather than just build on what they have.

EU4 is a good example here: a very solid base game, with a few key expansions, which has then put out additional dlc building out specific game systems.

If the next expansion basically nails the late game and diplomacy, Civ will be awesome. But at that point, it would be surely so easy to have a “colonization” dlc, or “near future tech” dlc, or “expanded governors” dlc, or whatever. I find it hard to believe a big chunk of existing players wouldn’t pay for that, and surely that would drive more sales?

But, no ... that’s probably not going to happen.

7. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

If I remember my timing, the first expansion here was quicker out the door than last time. But yeah, the fact that every civ going back to even civ 2 has had exactly 2 expansions for it, definitely hard to think of them breaking that concept.

I guess my main argument in favour of there potentially being 2 more packs is that of the missing civs, it "feels" like they would want to split up Ottoman/Byzantime and maybe Inca/Maya into separate packs (although obviously Inca and Maya are in different regions, they tend to get lumped together).

But if they do 1 more pack only, then I'd expect we'll get one of Babylon or Carthage, one of Byzantine or Ottoman, one or both of Inca and Maya, and then probably one Mali or Ethiopia, with the rest as either new civs or less used ones from the past (Iroquois/Sioux/etc...).