Ask a Star Fox 64 Expert

You've started multiple threads about it, talk about it in other threads all the time, and even changed your avatar to a Star Fox theme for a little while. I would say obsession. ;)

I very frequently get into a game, play it for awhile a lot (Not continually, but the most common video game I play), and then play a different game for awhile.

That said, Star Fox is the one game I'm great at and know a lot about. But its funny I never knew there was a "Canon" path, all I knew for certain was that the canon path included Fortuna and A6 (Though I'd say its fairly obvious the SX-SZ path isn't canon, which only left two choices, but still.)

I'd rather you take the canon, CANON path (As in, not taking the warp for Meteo, not going through the rings in Coneria, etc). And part of the reason that path is the canon path is /because/ of Fichina, actually. Hard Venom is the canon path, as it paths the war for his resurrection in Adventures. However, in order to reach Hard Venom, you have to fight Star Wolf, who "got new ships after their last fight" and are show physical injuries. The only way to fight them before Hard Venom is to go to Fichnia.

@Math

It's Fichina! FINCHINA! Not Fortuna! It was a translation error fixed in the later games! (Fortuna is a unrelated jungle planet featured on the orgional Star Fox on the SNES. It is also the first level of Assault.)

I'd rather you take the canon, CANON path (As in, not taking the warp for Meteo, not going through the rings in Coneria, etc). And part of the reason that path is the canon path is /because/ of Fichina, actually. Hard Venom is the canon path, as it paths the war for his resurrection in Adventures. However, in order to reach Hard Venom, you have to fight Star Wolf, who "got new ships after their last fight" and are show physical injuries. The only way to fight them before Hard Venom is to go to Fichnia.

This makes sense. And I did remember reading this. What I DIDN'T know was that Solar was the canon path. I thought it was unknown between that and Sector X.

Also, I will take the canon path next time after I reach 2,000 kills.

Just curious, but what is your best path and your record on it?

It's Fichina! FINCHINA! Not Fortuna! It was a translation error fixed in the later games! (Fortuna is a unrelated jungle planet featured on the orgional Star Fox on the SNES. It is also the first level of Assault.)

I'm surpirsed you didn't notice that I did it too.

In any case, I've thought it was Fortuna all my life (How the heck were they stupid enough to make this mistake anyway?) so I'm trying to kick the habit of calling it Fortuna on here.

This makes sense. And I did remember reading this. What I DIDN'T know was that Solar was the canon path. I thought it was unknown between that and Sector X.

Also, I will take the canon path next time after I reach 2,000 kills.

Just curious, but what is your best path and your record on it?

Well, its Solar because if you defuse the bomb (In which you do defeat Star Fox), you can go there or X. If you don't, you must go to X.

As for my best path? IDK, I'd have to pull out my 64, replug it, etc, etc. All I know that it was most likely red path until Zoness, destroy the search lights but then going Macbeth, ram the train into the depot, but go Boise, and then Easy Venom. I can't give exact numbers or even an estimate (It was soooo long ago)

You should play again and see;)

I'm surprised though, if you went on Zonness, you are either a World Class player or you just suck at Sector X (Without an estimate of your score I have no idea which, but in general the players who go Zonness can get 300+ kills on Aquas. I, BTW, am not this good.)

Also, if you want to go to Bolse, why ram the train? When you can get more kills by just fighting the boss if you take long enough.... (You can kill like 100 enemies before killing the boss if you pay close attention, though once you reach the 500 marker, he'll insta kill you if you let him live another minute.)

Also, I ended up figuring out the Solar thing last night. That makes sense.

BTW: The best path for MOST PEOPLE (NOTE: This does not include maniacs who can get 2,500 + kills) is: Co-Me-Ka-SX-Ma-A6-Ve)

A couple of other notes:

1. Why Bolse? I mean, Easy Venom could be better than Hard Venom if you know how to play it (Personally, I SUCK at Easy Venom, and I don't believe I've ever even bothered to medal it, though I plan to do so soon), but in any case, Bolse isn't even half as good as A6 (My record on A6 is 486, compare to.... 200? On Bolse.)

2. If you play Expert, stay out of Bolse/Easy Venom if you're going for points. "Easy" Venom is actually the harder way here, and its like the only level I can actually play totally seriously (Not pushing for kills necessarily, but actually trying to win) and still die.

lol@World Class Player

Does SF64 actually have a competitive stage large enough to validate the usage of this term?

lol@World Class Player

Does SF64 actually have a competitive stage large enough to validate the usage of this term?

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/starfox64/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-38101086&pid=938858

Actually, many people compete for scores online. Though I'm not anywhere near that good. But I'm fairly certain I'm one of the best people on this site.

Also, by "World Class Player", I mean someone who has figured out how to do THIS

BTW: I suck at Aquas and can't even get 200 kills there.

My whole point though was that most people CAN'T do that, and so its not much worse for them to just go to Katina instead (If its worse at all, I myself at least are far better at Katina than Aquas, and my record on Katina is like 40 Points higher than my Aquas record.)

Sector X is also a Great level for kills, its not as good as Zonness, but for me its only like 40-50 kills less. And Meteo more than makes up for that.

But, if you can get 300 + on Aquas, well, its an entirely different situation...

I was somewhat joking, but really, it is an awesome game once you get good at it.

First off, how much do you know about the game already? (So I know how much I need to explain about what the game is about.)

You fly spaceships and there's a fox. I IS SMART!

@Omega- I did your path and I got a 1,522, which isn't really that bad, but I could probably push it to 1,600 with some practice.

My scores were:

Corneria (Easy)- 192.

Meteo (No warp)- 241.

Fortuna- 87.

Solar- 125

Macbeth- I don't remember, but it was somewhere around 200.

A6- 435 (Yes, this run sucked.)

Venom- 237 (AWESOME!)

So, I broke my records in Fortuna and Venom.

BTW- If you don't know how to get 228 + in Hard Venom, you just have to fly near the ground, use the breaks, then when Wolf passes you, use a charged unlocked shot at the ground next to him. Then you get a free point. If you kill your partners, then more people will come after you and more points.

You fly spaceships and there's a fox. I IS SMART!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Fox_64

The game isn't that hard, but getting 1,500 + kills can be quite hard.

No, I'm saying that this thread is a stupid idea. Who wants to ask you questions about playing a 14 year old game that doesn't even really have a competitive scene?

I mean I can understand an ask a Starcraft II Top 200 player, but...SF64? Really?

I suppose it's better than Tom Petty...but still!

All this, and the fact that just last week (?) he was asking around for tips on how to get a better score, and now he turns around and proclaims himself an "expert."

Nothing like standing on the shoulders of giants, huh? :lol:

Actually, I asked what people's favorite path was to get a high score, not for tips as to how to get a higher score.

Then again, my record is 1,992. I doubt anyone on here is good enough to help me get a better score.

Actually, I asked what people's favorite path was to get a high score, not for tips as to how to get a higher score.

Then again, my record is 1,992. I doubt anyone on here is good enough to help me get a better score.

Luckymoose got a 1,995, clearly you can stand to improve a little. :p

Top Bottom