Ask an atheist (the second coming)

True that. Of course, does not mean that said balance vindicates religious thought.

It needs not your vindication. Do you need my blessing?

Outside the realm of democracy, nothing needs anything from anyone.

The truth is not democratic, anyways, neither is it a matter of opinion.

Nevertheless, AFAIK, vindication is something you acknowledge, not something you concede; quite unlike blessings.

Ah "truth." That old rag. I trust yours about as much as I trust the people who capitalize the whole word. Praytell, what other personal understandings of how to approach the world do you think warrant your magnanimous judgement on what is healthy? Care to pathologize some more?

Ah "truth." That old rag. I trust yours about as much as I trust the people who capitalize the whole word. Praytell, what other personal understandings of how to approach the world do you think warrant your magnanimous judgement on what is healthy? Care to pathologize some more?

As much as I think we disagree on some things, Farm Boy, you've thoroughly grasped philosophical pluralism, and as a result I can't help but have tremendous respect for you.

As much as I think we disagree on some things, Farm Boy, you've thoroughly grasped philosophical pluralism, and as a result I can't help but have tremendous respect for you.
what're you on about

And yet, not capitalizing it does represent a tremendous step in the right direction, regardless of how much you try to paint it all as hubris.

Isn't asserting that no truth can ever be achieved also an attempt at delivering a truism?

In a more elaborated state of things, while evidently the pursuit of the best aproximation of truth is an eternal work in progress, it's both cynical and nihilistic to imagine that the fact we do not know everything also means we do not know anything. Some doubts are reasonable, some aren't.

In my experience, all arguments trying to vindicate religion with the "truth is relative" trope have a noticeable problem with this distinction. A rather false middle ground between what's firmly stablished and what's patently incorrect... what ironically goes right back to the argument you originally replied.

Last edited:
Top Bottom