1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Aspiring modders, some essential software

Discussion in 'Mod Creation Help' started by sclera, Nov 14, 2017.

1. sclera

sclera Chieftain

http://prgrep.com/download.php?lng=en

This is PRGrep - you can use it to search for specific strings within any kind of text file of a directory. I have no idea how I'd mod without it. Search for anything you're looking for within the Assets directory of your Civ 6 install location.

Just figured I'd share, since I've seen a few instances of people saying "open up your x.xml file and search for y". This software makes that process so much easier because it searches entire directories - very useful for reverse engineering the game, and even using existing mods as a reference for your own work.

2. Deliverator

Deliverator Graphical Hackificator

I use Agent Ransack for the same purpose. I agree that this kind of tool is pretty much essential to modding.

3. PotatoMcWhiskey

PotatoMcWhiskey Chieftain

Also worthwhile to shoutout that Notepad++ has this built into it:
    upload_2017-11-15_12-13-40.png

4. sclera

sclera Chieftain

Oh wow, I feel dumb. I've been using Notepad++ for years!

5. Mopafid

Mopafid Chieftain

Holy s*** - I've also been using Notepad++ for years and have been craving a feature like this. Can't believe I never saw that tab! You're a godamn magician you.

6. criZp

criZp Chieftain