1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] August Update Video Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Aug 17, 2020.

1. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

On the other hand, one could suspect that the last community patch was "the AI overhaul patch", so we may not see additional AI changes in this patch. But we can hope. I agree with the rest you say, I have no interest in the random technology, but apparently a lot of people here are excited about it, so I guess that's good.

tedhebert likes this.
  2. oSiyeza

oSiyeza Prince

It could also be that a small minority of the players find the patch good and talk about it, and the vast majority are pretty much ignoring it as it seems totally incomsequential, or are giving up on the NFP entirely.

3. MrRadar

MrRadar Emperor

I wish, they would implement an option to save a random shuffled tech tree and reuse it in further games. Chances are, a considerable part of them will make more sense that the current default one :)

Karmah likes this.
  4. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Idea Fountain

Unit management has improved, but the decision making in general is still very much subpar

- An AI should NOT spend 6-7 votes worth of diplomatic favor to ban luxuries from the other side of the map. They will do it EVEN IF THE LUXURY WAS SOLD TO THEM. It literally accomplishes nothing of value. So frustratingly stupid
    - An AI should NOT attack city states that their friends and allies are the suzerain of. It should not PERSIST in the war if, after 100+ turns, they still haven't captured the city yet.
    - An AI should NOT be demanding 4 flat gold per turn of a much more powerful human player
    - An AI should NOT be delaying the construction of Walls in their cities, given how broken Fortifications are, especially in cities with Encampments
    - An AI should NOT build wonders in suboptimal locations (Petra, St Basils, Huey, Sankore) just because they can

An AI should be able to plan out their strategy more clever, ie: planting down a campus in the desert for a future university of sankore. A Scottish AI should build their entertainment complexes two tiles away from the city centre, so it can build a Golf Course between them. A Nubian AI should settle adjacent to one desert tile whenever possible and build a Nubian Pyramid on that tile. A Malinese AI should be settling inside desers, as opposed to avoiding them entirely.

Certainly, the AI have become better at managing the 1UPT rule and that has definitely made the AI players more annoying and occasionally even threatening. Agenda's also help, as they encourage the AI to make decisions that benefit their abilities... however, the fact that good AI behaviour seems to be tied to the agenda, rather than general programming is a major point of concern.

The Civ VI AI cannot plan ahead and as such is incapable of making weighed decisions. In part this comes because the design of certain aspects of the game are AI unfriendly (too many variables to take into account) or just poorly designed (anything w/r/t diplomacy), at a certain point Firaxis will just have to admit that their AI sucks :-/

5. Stilgar08

Stilgar08 Emperor

Or vice versa...

8housesofelixir likes this.
  6. bitula

bitula Prince

I think the undocumented AI improvement mostly came from NFP itself. Or at least I have experienced improvements immediately after the first package (apocalypse). I believe it is objectively true that deity games are much harder with the optional mods enabled now (not sure if it matters, but I always play with all optional mods on).

RohirrimElf likes this.
  7. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Livestream on Wednesday.

bite, Meluhhan, RohirrimElf and 6 others like this.
  8. Myomoto

Myomoto Prince

Great, I was expecting Thursday. Hopefully they give some more hints to the upcoming NFP content.

9. Vixxypixxy

Vixxypixxy Chieftain

Well.. I have tried starting the game 6 times now with the Shuffled tech tree box checked. It simply doesn't work, I can still choose tech/culture path.

10. Myomoto

Myomoto Prince

Of course you can still choose your tech path, it's just the position of the techs and civics that gets shuffled around :confused: