[NFP] August Update Video Thread

Things about Bermuda Triangle is that I don't think it can generate any science.

On the other hand we already have Mt. Kilimanjaro yeeting out foods and Torres del Paine magically doubling anything by its side like a cornucopia.

So on a second thought, maybe it's more of an implementation problem. If Bermuda is a wonder that constantly generating hurricanes that's more like it.
If they wanted to do bermuda triangle, it should have been something like giving bonus to trade routes going through it or something like that. The reason people think there's something crazy going on there is just because it's one of the busiest areas for water traffic. More boats=more sunken/missing boats. Coincidence? Yes.

Things about Bermuda Triangle is that I don't think it can generate any science.
I've gotten about 30 science from turn from it once; it can spawn close to shore.

If Bermuda is a wonder that constantly generating hurricanes that's more like it.
Eh, if they wanted a negative mid-ocean Natural Wonder, I would have suggested the Sargasso Sea that infamously becalmed so many trans-Atlantic voyages.

I've gotten about 30 science from turn from it once; it can spawn close to shore.

I mean that part of the ocean IRL doesn't seem to generate lots of science discoveries.

Eh, if they wanted a negative mid-ocean Natural Wonder, I would have suggested the Sargasso Sea that infamously becalmed so many trans-Atlantic voyages.

Yeah, the Sargasso Sea is a far more realistic choice, and many myths about the Triangle are initially about the Sargasso Sea.

I mean that part of the ocean IRL doesn't seem to generate lots of science discoveries.

Yeah, the Sargasso Sea is a far more realistic choice, and many myths about the Triangle are initially about the Sargasso Sea.

It's at least got a unique effect, love it or hate it, which for gameplay reasons makes it somewhat interesting. While there are a ton of other wonders in the game that I'd love to see, I do like how they chose a lot of new natural wonders this time around, a lot I'd never heard of before they were included, so I can't complain too much that they can't seem to fit any of the waterfall or canyon or cave natural wonders from the world into the art style of the game.

It's at least got a unique effect, love it or hate it, which for gameplay reasons makes it somewhat interesting.
Maybe, but if I wanted wormholes in my 4X game I'd go play a sci-fi 4X game (because really the Bermuda Triangle is functionally a one-sided wormhole). :p

Reading through this thread, I get the feeling I'm the only one who likes natural wonders like the Chocolate Hills and Pantanal for their synergy with Darwin.

Reading through this thread, I get the feeling I'm the only one who likes natural wonders like the Chocolate Hills and Pantanal for their synergy with Darwin.
I like workable wonders, too. I don't like Pantanal and Chocolate Hills specifically because they're ugly, but I love Ubunsur Hollow, Sahara-el-Beyda, and Gobustan.

I think Pantanal (and the the Ubsunur Hollow) is/are the only useful wetland in the whole game, you can work it or put up a national park, so I like it. It also constantly show up in my game. For the other type of wetlands - I mean marshes - the only thing you can do about them is remove them. What's even the point of that.

For the other type of wetlands - I mean marshes - the only thing you can do about them is remove them. What's even the point of that.
It's historically accurate. The draining of marshes and wetlands has been a major feature of the advancement of civilization, just like deforestation.

It's historically accurate. The draining of marshes and wetlands has been a major feature of the advancement of civilization, just like deforestation.

There are also many other cases about marshes - historically you can also turn them into a fishing area, flood them to have a good lake, forced them to dry up and producing salts, growing rices (but in order to improve rices in-game you need to remove the marsh first...), build floating farms like the Aztecs, or even design a national park such as Everglades. Only able to drain them to create a normal greenland is simply too narrow.

I do with there was something you could do with them when you got to the modern era. Because while draining marshes to put up parking lots has certainly been a big thing to advance civilization, I do think that once you hit conservation they should at least flip to giving +1 appeal instead of -1 appeal, as people are appreciating more natural areas. The small bonuses they get from zoos helps a little bit, but they're still generally speaking bad tiles from the mid-game onwards, so would be nice if there was a real reason to keep around a few of them to the modern game, other than laziness about using a builder charge earlier to clear them.

As for the natural wonders themselves, More often than not, the ones like Chocolate Hills or Pantanal I find are just meh tiles overall. So like, sure, they're nice to put holy sites near them for some adjacency, but they're worse even than regular tiles. They might have some situational use - I've used the Chocolate hills as a minor production centre at times, or working Gobustan or the Pantanal for some culture, but they're not ones I usually rush to settle. I much prefer Torres or Roraima, wonders which if you see them on the map, my #1 thought is "okay, how fast can I get a settler there?"

Uh, no you don't? At least I don't remember ever doing that...

Now you have me doubting my own sanity.
I've never seen Rice appear on Marsh; since they're both features I'm not even sure it's possible.

Uh, no you don't? At least I don't remember ever doing that...Now you have me doubting my own sanity.
I've never seen Rice appear on Marsh; since they're both features I'm not even sure it's possible.

A Rice appeared on a Marsh in my first game as Maya. Also, Oil sometimes will appear on Marsh as well.

The corresponding improvement for Rice is Farm, and a Farm cannot be built on the Marsh.

Oil sometimes will appear on Marsh as well.
Resources often appear over other features--Coal and Uranium in Woods seem to be particularly common. I've just never seen Rice or Wheat on Marsh.

The corresponding improvement for Rice is Farm, and a Farm cannot be built on the Marsh.
Are you certain? I've never been required to remove Woods to build a Coal/Uranium mine. :dunno:

Are you certain? I've never been required to remove Woods to build a Coal/Uranium mine. :dunno:

I am not exactly certain since that's a game two months ago.

Still, if you don't have a Rice on the Marsh - which is usually the case - the only way to "improve" its yields is to remove it and put a Farm on it.

Rice is a Resource, Marsh is a Feature. They should be able to appear together if Rice is allowed to spawn on Marsh specifically, which I think it is.

Also, Mines are allowed to be built on any clear Hills, or on mining resources. If building it on a resource, it doesn't matter what other conditions the tile has (ie: it doesn't need to be clear or Hills). I think Farms are the same for Farm resources.

lol does rice appear on any terrain that isn't marsh? I'm sure I haven't seen it anywhere else, other than grassland floodplains.

lol does rice appear on any terrain that isn't marsh? I'm sure I haven't seen it anywhere else, other than grassland floodplains.
I can't recall ever seeing it on anything except Grassland or Floodplains. :dunno: I'm not saying it can't appear on Marsh, but I haven't personally seen it in 300+ hours of playing. I have seen Sugar and Truffles on Marsh before.

Top Bottom