[NFP] August Update Video Thread

Because while draining marshes to put up parking lots has certainly been a big thing to advance civilization, I do think that once you hit conservation they should at least flip to giving +1 appeal instead of -1 appeal, as people are appreciating more natural areas

Reyna's Forestry Management does this to a degree (+2 gold for a marsh tile and +1 appeal to adjacent tiles, offsetting the standard -1). I honestly think they could have leaned into this more with a governor fully dedicated to conservationism with promotions that boost national parks or allow them to be built on marsh and coast tiles.

I've never seen Rice appear on Marsh; since they're both features I'm not even sure it's possible.

It doesn't happen all the time, but it definitely happens. And the marsh isn't removed if you build a farm on the rice, making a scrumptious 5-food tile before accounting for adjacency bonuses or water mills.

I sincerely don't mind the fictional wonders, since it's fictions like the Fountain of Youth and Paititi that stimulated human's will and ambition to explore, and exploration it's part of the core idea of 4x games.

I do admit that Bermuda Triangle is a strange choice, but Paititi is definitely my favorite.

And if it's possible I would love to see a Mount Penglai wonder in the game (basically a more traditional East Asian version of Fountain of Youth).

I guess it's similar to having Astrology as a tech. It did drive further discoveries, even if it itself was largely wrong.
I will turn off the fountain of youth however as it's OP imho lol.

I guess it's similar to having Astrology as a tech. It did drive further discoveries, even if it itself was largely wrong.
I think the key here is that there was no meaningful difference between Astrology and Astronomy until the past couple centuries. Even Sir Isaac Newton was fascinated by the occult and alchemy, and virtually all early astronomical data was gathered by priests rather than "natural philosophers." I wouldn't even say it was mostly wrong. Even if they imputed spiritual meaning to it, Babylonian priest-astronomers correctly deduced that the moving objects in the heavens were planets, that the Moon's periods were irregular, and possibly even that the Earth is round. On top of that, coming to the wrong conclusion isn't automatically bad science. Ptolemy's model was brilliant; Tycho Brahe's refinement of it even more so--to the extent that his astronomical observations were the most accurate in existence for centuries later. In a twist of irony, Kepler actually used Brahe's data to formulate his Laws of Planetary Motion.

Maybe we'll get a glimpse at some of it tomorrow (a week out) or maybe monday.

Or most likely we'll just have to wait a week with only a few random things mentioned on twitter...

I can't recall ever seeing it on anything except Grassland or Floodplains. :dunno: I'm not saying it can't appear on Marsh, but I haven't personally seen it in 300+ hours of playing. I have seen Sugar and Truffles on Marsh before.
It's very hard not to think you must have overlooked the marsh under your rices. It almost always spawn in marshes in our (my home's as in me wife and elder kid) games.

It's very hard not to think you must have overlooked the marsh under your rices. It almost always spawn in marshes in our (my home's as in me wife and elder kid) games.
I'm pretty inclined towards detail, but it could well be I'm not remembering prior to Gathering Storm. Since GS Rice almost universally appears on Floodplains in my experience.

I'm pretty inclined towards detail, but it could well be I'm not remembering prior to Gathering Storm. Since GS Rice almost universally appears on Floodplains in my experience.

Literally just started a game and got 2 Marshes with Rice on them. And I can Farm the Rice without clearing the Marsh.

I'm betting whoever thought you *needed* to clear the Marsh was doing it from the Civ5 days because the Marsh was worth negative Food back then so it was worth more Food to remove it, and probably forgot you *could* keep the Marsh because they never wanted to. Port that thinking to Civ6 and voila.

That's the only guess I can come up with, at least!

Literally just started a game and got 2 Marshes with Rice on them.
Like I said, I'm not saying it can't happen; it just hasn't happened to me that I can recall since GS. The RNG gods work in mysterious ways. ;)

And I can Farm the Rice without clearing the Marsh.
As I presumed.

I think often the march is hidden behind the rice visual, so it can be very hard to notice the marsh underneath.
You can tell the difference when the rice is on marsh or not by the number of movements:move: a unit needs to be on the rice. If it takes 2 then its marsh.

You can tell the difference when the rice is on marsh or not by the number of movements:move: a unit needs to be on the rice. If it takes 2 then its marsh.

Yeah, usually I notice it based on the food output of the tile, but just saying that the visuals aren't too obvious.

To be honest, I am mainly interested to see the patch notes - If the balance changes are extensive or not, in particular for the government plaza. Audience Chamber, Foreign Ministry, and National History Museum all need some serious love, and could help spice up the game a lot of they were more viable choices.

And hopefully they will actually fix some of the glaring bugs, such as the production disappearing from whatever that belief is called (name escapes me atm) when a Holy Site gets pillaged.

And hopefully they will actually fix some of the glaring bugs, such as the production disappearing from whatever that belief is called (name escapes me atm) when a Holy Site gets pillaged.
Work ethic it is called. But yeah me too

I think we should wait before judging this one. I'm pretty much uninterested in the content announced this time around, but the last content patch seems to have included a LOT of Ai work that was NOT described in the patch notes. We have a pretty exhaustive thread already talking about Ai improvement, and it feels like many of those felt improvement seem to come from NFP's previous community patch. I have NO idea whatsoever why FX would not wish to advertise them in the patch notes, but let's see if this is becoming something real or if it remains only felt.

I think we should wait before judging this one. I'm pretty much uninterested in the content announced this time around, but the last content patch seems to have included a LOT of Ai work that was NOT described in the patch notes. We have a pretty exhaustive thread already talking about Ai improvement, and it feels like many of those felt improvement seem to come from NFP's previous community patch. I have NO idea whatsoever why FX would not wish to advertise them in the patch notes, but let's see if this is becoming something real or if it remains only felt.
On the other hand, one could suspect that the last community patch was "the AI overhaul patch", so we may not see additional AI changes in this patch. But we can hope. I agree with the rest you say, I have no interest in the random technology, but apparently a lot of people here are excited about it, so I guess that's good.

Top Bottom