Avrora

Refar

Deity
Cruiser Avrora <<< Link
The most devastating warship ever ;)

This one i started long ago, mothbaling her half-done. Now finally came back to it.
The textures could be better (i.e. the wood and the damage map) nut i will call it done now.

Animated with damage textures.
FX and NonShader version inculded.
Teamcolored.
There is a alternative texture in the archive replacing the Andrejevskij flag
with a plain team colored one.

1350 Polys.
The main texture is 512x256 - its better for painting. Scaling it down to
256x256 does loose a bit detail, but not a lot.

The fScale in the attached pictures was 0.9. Seem a bit too small in game (tho there are no other ships to compare in the screenshot), so maybe 1.0 or 1.1 is right.

Use it as you like and give proper credit.

AWESOME! I have been looking for new ships all day and low and behold an awesome one is uploaded while I browse! :thumbsup:

haha i dreamed to make that unit :)

now we need stairs and pram and we can start revolution ;)

I'll use this unit as early cruiser in 1939 thx :) it's very nice and well made unit

Very nicely done Refar!

The textures could be better (i.e. the wood and the damage map) nut i will call it done now.
Don't know about the damage map, but I toyed a bit with the wood deck... maybe it's my monitor or my old eyes, but the wood deck was giving me some sort of "shimmering" effect... I tried a new wood deck and it seems to have eliminated that problem... it's roughly the same tone as the original deck.

I've also given some choices to the team color version of Refar's ship... he's got a green keel hull, which is accurate for Russia at the time (and Austria too), but most fleets used a red keel... and since it was a "team color" model, I redid the keel to red (and I also kept the green team color version for the nations that used a green keel like Austria).

Attached are three reskins... all with the new wood deck, two team (one green, one red) and the Russian flagged version with the new wood deck.

I was also wondering if it would be possible to get a "no ropes/wires" version of the NIFs for this model (Russian and Team)... I saw the DDS for the ropes was listed separately, so hopefully this is an easy NIF fix?!?!?

Anyways, here's the redecked Aurora...

Attachments

• AuroraNewDeck.zip
    219.5 KB · Views: 108
It is indeed an easy fix.
BTW, what kind of ship would this be classified as? And what's with the "most devastating warship ever" joke?
Thanks Xeno... to answer the question, the Aurora would be classified as a "Protected Cruiser"... of the type commonly found amongst European powers from the 1890s to very early 1900s (ie: most were built during the age of the "Pre-Dreadnoughts").

Most, if not all, protected cruisers were pretty much obsolete by the start of WWI (though like many Pre-Dreadnoughts, they did see service in WWI).

Thanks, the new wood texture is a lot better - as Geo pointed oput my original texture was too sharp with too small planks, causing kind of a interferrence on some angles.

And what's with the "most devastating warship ever" joke?
Its a very old, obsolete and unfunny in the first place revolution-joke.

Thanks, the new wood texture is a lot better - as Geo pointed oput my original texture was too sharp with too small planks, causing kind of a interferrence on some angles.
No problem... in case you haven't noticed, I kinda got a thing for old ships. I love tinkering with these ships!

Well, it helped to keep the Wehrmacht at bay, so in a way it was devastating to them. ;)
It did? I gotta throw out my history books! They all say Russia surrendered to the Germans in WWI (WWI was when it was actually an armed ship... during WWII the guns were removed and it was sunk in 1941). Then again, maybe you just meant the guns from the ship, because the ship itself didn't do much in WWII other then collect bombs. I guess "devastating" is all in the eye of the beholder!

:p

Like Refar says... very old ship... it first saw action at the battle of Tsushima in 1905... this was a relic from the age of the Pre-Dreadnoughts, but it makes a good companion for Refar's Bronenosets pre-dreadnought. :goodjob:

It did? I gotta throw out my history books! They all say Russia surrendered to the Germans in WWI (WWI was when it was actually an armed ship... during WWII the guns were removed and it was sunk in 1941). Then again, maybe you just meant the guns from the ship, because the ship itself didn't do much in WWII other then collect bombs. I guess "devastating" is all in the eye of the beholder!

Jeez, it wasn't obvious I talked about the WWII era? Really?
As far as my history goes, the German army during WWI wasn't even called the "Wehrmacht".

Jeez, it wasn't obvious I talked about the WWII era? Really?
As far as my history goes, the German army during WWI wasn't even called the "Wehrmacht".
Jeez, well yeah, and I thought I was obvious in my answer that the Aurora was disarmed during WWII... WWI was the last time the Aurora was used as a fighting ship, so your mentioning it helped hold back the Wehrmacht was a little odd to say the least. :mischief:

In my book, guns are quite an important part of the ship, where ever they might be stationed. :mischief:
I see you suddenly kept quiet about the "Wehrmacht" stuff. :D

In my book, guns are quite an important part of the ship, where ever they might be stationed. :mischief:
I see you suddenly kept quiet about the "Wehrmacht" stuff. :D
I know damn-well who the Wehrmacht is, which is why your original post makes no sense... because to ME, a ship contributing to defense means the ship actually does something besides meet the scrapyard's torch.

Your statement that it contributed to any defense could only refer to WWI when it actually fought... I think you're out of bounds to say the ship did anything just because the guns were ripped off of it and the remaining hulk collected a bunch of bombs.

I see you suddenly kept quiet about the ship not even doing a single sortie in WWII.

That's not contributing... you might as well say the earth contributed in the defense of Russia since the metal to make the Aurora's guns came from the earth. The ship was out-of-commission as a fighting unit during WWII... so your initial boast is meaningless, hence I mentioned WWI... the last time the ship actually sortied for any war.

:lol::lol:
Poor wolf, so uptight. ;)
I even never mentioned ship sorties, that was all in your head. :D

Meh... I'm a stickler for sorties equaling contributing. You also referred to the ship contributing, not just it's disembodied guns. Whole thing threw me off talking about WWII when the ship was stripped and all but out of commission.

To me, this ship served in the Sino-Japanese war and in WWI... It's a has-been for WWII purposes. :dunno:

Top Bottom