1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Balance of Power and the Next Reallignment

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by nc-1701, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Commodore

Commodore Technology of Peace

Well the world is pretty much waging open economic warfare on Russia right now as punishment for their recent aggression rather than dealing with them militarily.

That is just the most recent example. A cursory look at the post-WW2 world shows nations increasingly relying on economic warfare rather than actual warfare to defeat their enemies.

2. Pangur Bán

Pangur Bán Deconstructed

This is what you meant by 'modern trends on global conflict resolution'? Even if what you're saying were true, not really sure how this argues against what I said. Economic warfare ultimately relies on military power. If you don't believe me, go up to Mike Tyson and demand his wallet. The USA can blockade Iran, but woe betide Iran if it blockades the Strait of Hormuz.

3. Commodore

Commodore Technology of Peace

I don't think you really understand what economic warfare is. It has almost nothing to do with blockades or embargos and more to do with what we are seeing going on with Russia right now. The world has sent Russia's currency into a freefall by essentially pricing Russia out of the oil market.

Tell me: What military power was needed to drop the price of oil so low that it has caused catastrophic damage to the Russian economy? And if Russia were so inclined, what could their military do to stop the world from ruining their economy? Military strength has become nothing more than the crutch of those who have no economic strength to throw around.

4. Pangur Bán

Pangur Bán Deconstructed

The power to deter Russia from retaliating or stopping it. Seriously, already explained this, it's not rocket science, I even gave you an everyday analogy that made it easy to understand.

5. NetGear

NetGear King

it's easier to demand mike tyson's wallet for me by going to court than trying to take him on. Mike tyson isnt going to fight everyone at once. Similar thing is happening in a world stage for nations. Russia isnt going to invade the world because they don't like what the world is doing t them either.

6. Pangur Bán

Pangur Bán Deconstructed

And? You're just making my point.

7. LoneRebel

LoneRebel Emperor

Ah, so the only thing preventing Russia from, say, invading all of Europe right now in retaliation for the crippling sanctions is the fact that the US military is stronger than Russia's? That sounds to me like what you're saying.

8. Tolina

Tolina trust the pillars with your s e c r e t s

The only reason Russia hasn't invaded Europe is because it's easier to hold several bordering countries by completely dominating their politics, rather than setting up satellite states and then having to upkeep them for the next 50 years.

The Russians are learning, as you can see.

9. Pangur Bán

Pangur Bán Deconstructed

Sort of, LoneRebel. Here, Russia's relative military power vis-a-vis the people attacking it just now, a US-led alliance ('the world' as guys like Commodore would call it), is not sufficiently strong to make using military force in retaliation politically attractive. By contrast, if Iran were to close the Strait of Hormuz, the relative military power of the US (or 'the Cosmos' as it might be called :lol: ) and the economic losses suffered would make destroying the Iranian government forces attractive.