1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Banana resources.!

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by rsadiwala95, Jul 19, 2012.

1. GhostSalsa

GhostSalsa Emperor

In my last jungle start I snagged Sacred Path and left all Banana, one Gem and later one Oil unimproved. It was an interesting game.

I had no problem leaving banana unimproved, instead I kicked out a granary as fast as I could. Plantation is NOT required for the granary boost to banana.

2. Koiranputki

Koiranputki Prince

Yeah...this is sort of how I do it....but it is situational and will depend on many different things...sometimes it makes sense to develop a banana tile; other times it will make sense to leave it alone. Mostly I leave them alone at least until later in the game... But...always a caveat...if food isn't too much of an issue I might still not bother... But, if low population is an issue, then .....whatever...;)

3. PostConsumerWat

PostConsumerWat Chieftain

the jungle can be used as cover too, or a break to stagger attackers... used by woodsmen and Iroquois roads..

of course if the jungle is blocking ranged attacks then it may have to go.

4. Heinage

Heinage Khan

Can you still build TP on unimproved jungle bananas?

In my last game as Arabia I took hamburg as a puppet. It had unimproved jungle bananas which I wanted to build a trading post on rather than plantation, but the build option wasn't there!
    I looked closely for it. I was in modern era, it didn't already have TP. so what gives? Am I missing something?

5. mintcandy

mintcandy King

I don't have Gods and Kings, but I do know that you CAN'T put a Trading Post on a Jungle tile with bananas in Vanilla Civ V.

6. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Can't do it in GnK either.

7. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

Which is ********. Why don't the developers let people have choice? After all, if you luck out and oil is later uncovered in that jungle tile, the trading post you put on top still remains....very inconsistent and illogical, imo.

8. Aaron90495

Aaron90495 King

You can only build the appropriate improvement for a resource tile. For example, you can't build a farm on gold, a lumber mill on silk, etc.

9. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

That is a statement of how it is, but not an explanation as to why.

As for the whole Banana/jungle issue, I agree that it is ... inelegant, for lack of better words. I guess that if there is a thought behind it, the philosophy would be that if you have a special food resource, building a trading post would make you unable to have that resource growing there - thus, if you had the ability to build a trading post, it should reduce the yield of the tile to that of a normal jungle tile. One can say that this logic is flawed by the fact that building a TP makes normal jungle remain, but ...

From another pov, I can accept that this is one of those odd features that comes from having two independant systems for tile yields and improvement placement, and that it is fortunate that there is only this one case where they aren't completely compatible. I do sometimes leave my Bananas unimproved if I don't have a lot of jungle to reap the science (and if I don't need the food badly), even more so if I have the culture-on-jungles belief, but other times I'll put down the plantation to boost growth in that city.

10. Heinage

Heinage Khan

ah ok thanks!
    I must have just been mistaken thinking it was possible. I've never actually done it before but thought that's what people were talking about doing as a strategy over here on the forums.
    I'm just getting things muddled up :crazyeye:

11. bcaiko

bcaiko Emperor

I agree with kaspergm that, while that may be true, it seems a little silly not to have the choice.

12. elijahfire

elijahfire Chieftain

+2 I know it's old but this still bugs me.

13. Fastrada

Fastrada Chieftain

never understood why jungle would produce science anyway.

14. guinsoo

guinsoo Warlord

The problem is, they take 13 turns on Standard to make for something that's not even a clear upgrade, it has a tradeoff (food now vs science later). In that time you can make 2.5 riverside farms, which provide more food after Civil Service. Unless I have literally nothing else to work on with my workers, I think any other improvement provides more value per turn spent to improve. And it's not like the banana is a bad tile unimproved... it's a fantastic tile by itself with Granary.

15. PurpleHaze34

PurpleHaze34 Chieftain

Fastrada, I had a similar question but then I rationalized the universities would dissect the bugs found in the jungles in an attempt to cure cancer.

16. VilePilot

VilePilot Warlord

the science represents the population for the uncontacted village tribes running around in the jungle

17. plast

plast Chieftain

It makes sense that it gives a science boost. Research into new species, understanding plant life and medicine, etc. IRL there are a lot of research being done in jungles.

18. Red Pearl

Red Pearl Warlord

from a game play prospective I really like the fact that jungles produce science. as for bananas I leave them unimproved :c5food: + :c5science: :D.

19. smileyy90210

smileyy90210 Chieftain

I suspect this is a retcon/balance thing to make jungles a desirable part of your civilization at some point.

20. MatthewT

MatthewT Chieftain

I think that +2 science is a bit too much for jungle and medieval university. +1 would be more balanced with +1 more added after Scientific Theory.