Bar lounge

Sommers, as a native speaker, can you tell me if the "mayhaps" casually attached at the end ...
Absolutely. Anytime somebody uses non-committal words or phrases like "If at all possible", "In most cases" , "Maybe" , "Perhaps", "I think so" "Probably" "Most likely will" etc... my Spidey backstab senses start tingling.:scared:

"Mayhaps" is even worse because despite being English-ish it is not a word that is used in modern conversation. So it stands out like a red flag when somebody uses it like "Wait... What? What did you just say? Who even says that?":D

Absolutely. Anytime somebody uses non-committal words or phrases like "If at all possible", "In most cases" , "Maybe" , "Perhaps", "I think so" "Probably" "Most likely will" etc... my Spidey backstab senses start tingling.:scared:

"Mayhaps" is even worse because despite being English-ish it is not a word that is used in modern conversation. So it stands out like a red flag when somebody uses it like "Wait... What? What did you just say? Who even says that?":D

Mayhaps is a pretty cromulent word, haven't you heard that yet?

Beware, there are Americans in the team, which are not USA citizens and they can say America =/= USA.

If you want to include "Canadian" in with "American" make sure to say "North American," as "American" by itself means someone from the United States.

If you want to say someone is from Brazil, they are not "American," rather "Brazilian" or "South American."

First independent country, first dibs on adjective. :p

This is weird logic of course. Canadians can be North Americans, Costa Ricans can be Central Americans, Brazilians can be South Americans and USA citizens can be simply Americans? Even those from Hawaii?

I had a friend from Nicaragua , who was teaching me Spanish and was correcting me when I used Americans for USA citizens, telling me: "I am from America too. I live in North America."

For the country Australia it is normal to have the geographical name of the continent, as it is the only country over there. But USA are not the only country on the two Americas.

For example In Spanish (Magno and Yossa can correct me), "USA citizen" sounds like "Norte-Americano".

I think they call people from USA Americans because the word "America" actually appears in the name of the country.

That is why people from Hawaii are Americans. Hawaii is not in North America, but that does not matter, because the name of their country is the United States of America

So people from Canada, and Mexico are from North America, but the word "America" is not in the name of their country. If for example, Mexico was called "The Central States of America", then it would probably be common to hear Mexicans called Americans.

Top Bottom