[NFP] Barbarian Clans Game Mode Discussion

I (vaguely) recall a barb city in one of my games even building the Pyramids.
If I am not mistaken barbs could capture cities in civ 4. So whether they build wonders or captured them, I don't know...

There are many things in this game mode that I have been longing for:
Negotiate peace even if it is momentary
Negotiate hostage release (captured civilian units)
Pay to attack opponents.
Barbarians evolving into city-states.

This game mode is amazing and I will use it in all my matches.

But just one curiosity: will the ability of Sumerians be changed with this game mode?

Just a bet:

Coastal - builds ships, gets sea uniques, turns into commercial city state.
Hills - gets archery (or anti-cavalry) uniques, turns into militaristic city state.
Woods-Rainforest - does not build horses, power on uniques builds anti-cavalry (or archery) uniques, turns into scientific city state.
Rover (plains, horses) - builds mainly cavalry, gets heavy cavalry uniques, turns into cultural city state.
Desert - gets heavy infantry uniques, turns into religious city state.
Tundra - gets light cavalry uniques, turns into industrious city state.

I would make the bet that hills is anti-cav, as a subtle nod to the Greeks (and even romans) and their use of spearman.

This would also leave jungle/forest with archery, which fits my internal bias or elves/rangers as now and arrow focused and in that region.

Looking at all the changes brought by this mode in detail, they ironically seem to make barbarians less barbaric...

But if that means I'm not constantly sighing in frustration when I see a barb scout emerge from the fog, that's a step in the right direction.

They said that in the video?
I might have misread the bar on top of the Encampments as they might actually be indicators toward their progress to becoming City-States.

Just a bet:

Coastal - builds ships, gets sea uniques, turns into commercial city state.
Hills - gets archery (or anti-cavalry) uniques, turns into militaristic city state.
Woods-Rainforest - does not build horses, power on uniques builds anti-cavalry (or archery) uniques, turns into scientific city state.
Rover (plains, horses) - builds mainly cavalry, gets heavy cavalry uniques, turns into cultural city state.
Desert - gets heavy infantry uniques, turns into religious city state.
Tundra - gets light cavalry uniques, turns into industrious city state.
I'd switch around Roving plains (being industrious and spawning both cavalry uniques) and Tundra (being cultural and mainly spawning anti cavalry units) but otherwise I think you might be correct.
I'm still not 100% sure if they spawn into other types besides militaristic though.

I mean does certain terrain clans will change into specific CS like Hill Clans will become Industrial CS, or certain clans will spawn certain types of UU like Rover Clans cavalry units? else?
Not sure. We saw a hill tribe in the video spawn into Valletta at least.

And what if the last NFP Civ mechanic will be like "can convert barbarian camps into your City"?
Honestly that should be an ability for sumeria’s ally of endiku. That or - gain a ruins bonus each time you interact with a barb camp, barb camps that become city states within 5 tiles of one of your cities will join your civ instead.

Looking at all the changes brought by this mode in detail, they ironically seem to make barbarians less barbaric...

But if that means I'm not constantly sighing in frustration when I see a barb scout emerge from the fog, that's a step in the right direction.

Seeing a barb camp with an early game UU like war carts, hul'che, pitati or eagle warriors will be downright terrifying though.

Seeing a barb camp with an early game UU like war carts, hul'che, pitati or eagle warriors will be downright terrifying though.
Instead of "run toward the hills" let's run away from them. :mischief:

Oh... oh no... that new bribe feature is going to prove very helpful.
Mali buff. :cool:
Edit: Literally just got beat to it.

Early game gold civs like mali will gain some small buffs from this mode - gold being used to hurt your neighbors and keep barbs off you can help them a ton in their vulnerable period. Won’t make them meta, just a bit more viable.

edit: wow double ninjad

It's a double-edged sword. You can always buy these units or turn its military power against the AI :) Sell AI luxury resources for gold improving diplomatic relations and then pay the barbarian clan with this gold to attack AI. Sounds super Venetian, and super fun :):)

Top Bottom