[NFP] Barbarian Clans Game Mode Discussion

Seeing a barb camp with an early game UU like war carts, hul'che, pitati or eagle warriors will be downright terrifying though.

Not if you have the money to bribe and recruit them :groucho:. Altough be careful to spend it all (tell it to Rome)

Sounds super Venetian, and super fun :):)

Hidden desire for a last NFP Civ? ;)

I want to play Eleanor for my first Barb Mode game. I will civilize the barbarians, then flip them.

That would be Boudicca ++, love it.

I'll definitely want to try out this mode, although I need to think about who I want to play most as for it. I guess we'll have to see exactly what makes sense, but as mentioned above, Mali looks like they might be a good option to use their gold to bribe them. I also think I might try with Heroes and Legends mode on as well, since a large part of me wants to recruit the twins and use them to farm barb camp UU. Also have to think if I want to encourage more barbarian UU, and use the leader picker to explicitly avoid any AI with early game UU options. Will have to think about that, though, or whether that makes it too "easy" of a mode.

What are your thoughts, @Boris Gudenuf?

As stated in the February Developer's Thread, it's as if they read my mind - or my posts for the past year plus: d**n near everything I wanted in Barbarians, and a Permanent Mode in my playing for the foreseeable future.

As to 'affinities' of the Barbarian Clans, just some historical notes:

Forest groups like the barbaric Germans and Celts were primarily Spearmen, so Anti-Cav, but rainforest and Asian forest groups specialized in ranged weapons - javelins, blowguns, atlatls, etc, so with their Woody Barb Clan they could go either way.

The Pastoral Barbs (horsemen) were always great trading partners - middlemen across Central Asia for over 2000 years - so having one of their Camps turn into a Commercial City State would be very appropriate.

Barbarian Pirates up until the Renaissance did not attack ships that often, but raided coastal communities and were great slave traders from at least the Bronze Age on. Ships built by those Clans should really be able to pillage/raid coastal improvements and civilian units, setting up a potential Slave Ransom market, an institution which flourished all over the Mediterranean and coastal Asia from at least the Classical Era on.

And the ability to keep Pedro out of my games unless I want him as a Target! Joy, Joy.

I want to play Eleanor for my first Barb Mode game. I will civilize the barbarians, then flip them.
Playing as Germany would be interesting too. I wonder if city-states formed from barbs will still be harder to flip?

Hidden desire for a last NFP Civ? ;)
Considering the theme music playing was Phoenician, it fits them too who used the native Numidians as mercenaries for Carthage. :mischief:

Seems like there may be some cross purposes between Barbarian Mode & Secret Societies. To join the vamps requires wiping a barb camp, but with Barbs Mode, it may be in your interest to keep them alive. :hmm:

It's funny that this is 'free' but the apocalypse mode was payed. I would gladly pay for this, where as apocalypse seems like something that could have been free.

This might be the update that make me want to start up civ again! Much hype very wow :clap:

Man, this mode is honestly everything I wanted to see implemented on barbarians, I'm super excited to try it.
We know a major balance is coming for a whole bunch of civs and leaders, any chance one of them might get an alternate ability when barbarian clans is activated?
That (Gaul?) and I hope for a civ with a modified ability when economy mode is active (England? Netherlands? China? Cree? Mali?).

I think a lot of whether to allow a barb camp to become a city-state is going to come down to whether it's occupying a spot that you want to build a city in or not. If it's in a garbage position or has the potential to block a neighbor, you will probably leave it there. If it's close to a good place for a city, you will want to take it out.

I hope that they implement all city states having unique units you can levy or buy a copy of like the barb camps currently have. It would flow well from the barb camps, and give certain weaker city states/unique units more opportunities to be useful.

Ships built by those Clans should really be able to pillage/raid coastal improvements and civilian units, setting up a potential Slave Ransom market, an institution which flourished all over the Mediterranean and coastal Asia from at least the Classical Era on.

Since you can pay barbs to do things now, I wonder whether you can pay for a Settler or a Builder from other civs caught by them or not.

If so, then that is the closest thing to a Slave Market we can get.

Man, this mode is honestly everything I wanted to see implemented on barbarians, I'm super excited to try it.
We know a major balance is coming for a whole bunch of civs and leaders, any chance one of them might get an alternate ability when barbarian clans is activated?
I could see Rome getting an ability to where if they are able to successfully turn a clan into a city-state maybe they get a free trading post in that city and a road from their capital.

That (Gaul?) and I hope for a civ with a modified ability when economy mode is active (England? Netherlands? China? Cree? Mali?).

Gaul could be an interesting choice for a civ that could incorporate camps turning into cities directly into Gaul...sort of like Eleonor does for rebel cities.
Rome could maybe get a unique unit after you raid a camp. that way you are incentivized to wack your nearby barbarians in check to use them as Auxiliary troops, but wouldn't want them to turn into CS. (and a saavy oponent could then dump lots of money into camps to try to turn them all on Rome.)

Netherland could use a new ability in corporations, I mean...they kind of invented it, besides they are very boring to play besides polders.

I could see Rome getting an ability to where if they are able to successfully turn a clan into a city-state maybe they get a free trading post in that city and a road from their capital.

IDK, IRL Romans were also known for wiping out an entire "barbarian" population instead of let them grow larger and become a threat.
(cf. What happened to Samnites, Cimbri, Tuetones, Ambrones, Helvetii, Atautaci, etc.)

That too, to it sounds more Byzantine, but honestly that's what I'm loving about both corporations and barbarian clans, they open so much potential ideas for older civs.

I'm honestly begining to hope for a second NFP that tackles ideologies and colonies in the same manner.

Looks promising - some nice and often requested ideas, adding depth to the game with out adding more yields/free stuff and -as said in the dev vid- fitting naturally in the game by enhancing an area with unlifted potential.

I just hope the AI will make healthy use the modes possibilities, too. If that is true, it might become indeed a mode I would activate always.

And unless the other payed modes receive some balancing/bug fix/AI logic treatment and/or the 6th DLC mode is a complete exception in regard to theme+polishedness, NFP might easily end for me with getting most out of the two free modes :crazyeye:

Gaul could be an interesting choice for a civ that could incorporate camps turning into cities directly into Gaul...sort of like Eleonor does for rebel cities.
Rome could maybe get a unique unit after you raid a camp. that way you are incentivized to wack your nearby barbarians in check to use them as Auxiliary troops, but wouldn't want them to turn into CS. (and a saavy oponent could then dump lots of money into camps to try to turn them all on Rome.)

Netherland could use a new ability in corporations, I mean...they kind of invented it, besides they are very boring to play besides polders.

Rome could get a +1 to population every time they destroy a camp.

IDK, IRL Romans were also known for wiping out an entire "barbarian" nations instead of let them grow larger.
(cf. Samnites, Cimbri, Tuetones, Ambrones, Helvetii, Atautaci, etc.)
Well with a free road and trading post (for diplomatic visibility) who says who says you need to keep them around? :mischief:

Though I do like the idea of Gaul automatically turning clans into their cities as a way to "unite the tribes", though it might mean less city-states if Gaul might be in the game. :shifty:

Top Bottom