[NFP] Barbarian Clans Game Mode Discussion

Judging from descriptions and the calculations of the Treat With Tribe screen, it seems that making Barbs more peaceful will speed up their CS conversion, while making Barbs being Barbs will delay that process.

Judging from descriptions and the calculations of the Treat With Tribe screen, it seems that making Barbs more peaceful will speed up their CS conversion, while making Barbs being Barbs will delay that process.
Basically telling them either to have manners or to burp at the table. Dumb joke aside, I like how this Game Mode can be enjoyed by pragmatic opportunists wanting to cut down their enemies half a leg, sneering imperialists, diplomatic folk, etc.

Interestingly the ransom ui seems to overwrite the hire ui - so it seems then that you won’t be able to buy units from any barb tribe you’ve lost a builder to.

This mode sounds like a lot of fun, but I want to see that the AI doesn't just go around clearing every barbarian camp before I get too excited. They could really take a lot of the fun out of it.

Also... isn't there an inspiration or eureka that involves clearing a camp?
Military Tradition

Interestingly the ransom ui seems to overwrite the hire ui - so it seems then that you won’t be able to buy units from any barb tribe you’ve lost a builder to.

No, you can see they shift the hire unit to the left, so you actually lose the bribe option.

I think the biggest decision is that getting your builder (or presumably settler) back will wipe all progress. So you might have some tough calls - is that builder really worth losing them as a CS option? Otherwise, also whether you simply bribe them to not attack you vs recruit a unit (to probably defend against their incoming attacks) vs bribing them to attack someone else might be a curious decision process. Looks like they're showing it off on quick speed, so I'm guessing at normal speed, it will be 100 gold to avoid a bribe, and probably 150 gold to recruit an eagle warrior. I wonder how those costs scale through the game - I'm assuming it's going to cost more than 102 gold to recruit a barbarian courser. And will also be curious - I could see if it ends up being cheap, recruiting a barbarian quadrireme, and using it to kill one of their former tribe's units for the inspiration, might be a very useful tactic.

And I also wonder what I will have to do if I actually want to encourage a camp to develop to a CS. Will I have to start parking units nearby to prevent another CS or civ from raiding the camp? I can imagine more than once, a barb camp is going to get to like one turn away and then an AI will destroy it and I lose all my nurturing of it.

No, you can see they shift the hire unit to the left, so you actually lose the bribe option.

I think the biggest decision is that getting your builder (or presumably settler) back will wipe all progress. So you might have some tough calls - is that builder really worth losing them as a CS option? Otherwise, also whether you simply bribe them to not attack you vs recruit a unit (to probably defend against their incoming attacks) vs bribing them to attack someone else might be a curious decision process. Looks like they're showing it off on quick speed, so I'm guessing at normal speed, it will be 100 gold to avoid a bribe, and probably 150 gold to recruit an eagle warrior. I wonder how those costs scale through the game - I'm assuming it's going to cost more than 102 gold to recruit a barbarian courser. And will also be curious - I could see if it ends up being cheap, recruiting a barbarian quadrireme, and using it to kill one of their former tribe's units for the inspiration, might be a very useful tactic.

And I also wonder what I will have to do if I actually want to encourage a camp to develop to a CS. Will I have to start parking units nearby to prevent another CS or civ from raiding the camp? I can imagine more than once, a barb camp is going to get to like one turn away and then an AI will destroy it and I lose all my nurturing of it.

I feel dumb for missing that it moved to the left, good catch.
I think the “will lose progress” doesn’t indicate that it will lose all progress, just that they didn’t write the number with it.

It would have been perfect if the clans had historical names to represent cultures that didn't make it as full Civilizations in the game and that have been historically regarded as "barbarians". It'd be great to have the Goths, the Visigoths, the Angles, the Jutes, the Huns, the Alans, the Vandals, the Ostrogoths, etc.

I hope there is an interaction with missionaries. Getting barbs to adopt your religion should be a big step toward civilizing them. Maybe an apostle promotion that helps with it.

I'm guessing it would be just the gold options seen unfortunately. But I'd prefer a lot more options - sending a trade route, loyalty pressure, religion, etc. - that could speed up the civilizing. And the largest 'method' influences the eventually city state (i.e. if the biggest 'civilizing point influence' was the conversion - religious city state; trade route - economic city state; hiring units - military city state; loyalty pressure - cultural city state, etc.). But I'm honestly happy the mode looks to be as ambitious as it is.

I hope there is an interaction with missionaries. Getting barbs to adopt your religion should be a big step toward civilizing them. Maybe an apostle promotion that helps with it.
Like how the various barbarians such as the Ostrogoths were converted to Arianism via Arian missionaries.

Last edited:
So what's the consensus of what you guys will do with Barb camps now?

I'm undecided myself. If I plan on attacking, getting some of their units would be nifty. I'm not sure I really want barb camps to become city states. Especially if it's in territory I want to expand into (which will be the majority of barb camps I have access to that aren't destroyed by the AI). I will most likely kill the camps if they are too close. If they are far away I may may milk it for units if I need them, or if I want to have fun, pay them to attack the AI civ.

Top Bottom