1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] Based on the new features - which civilizations and leaders should be introduced in R&F?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Absolution, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Wingednosering

Wingednosering Chieftain

Personally I liked when the barbarians were wild animals (Civ IV). Provided the same gameplay deterrent, but wasn't offensive to anybody. I think City States capture the feel you're talking about. Minor nations with less global influence, but still a lengthy history, artifacts and an impact.

I'm starting to think civ VII is going to have to radically change up the formula. Eurekas are a good move in the right direction, but the linear tech/civic trees make inclusion difficult for certain nations/cultures/civs. They seem to be aiming for diversity and inclusion these days, so it may be time for a rethink of some core mechanics. It's pretty common to see Industrial era civs with Ancient era powers at the moment. That isn't a commentary on that civilization, more the game's mechanisms and how specifically they tie themselves to European advancement.

Phoenix1595 and Duuk like this.
  2. Duuk

Duuk Champion of Colorblindness Supporter

China's impact on the "world" also goes back a long, long way. China was known during the Roman Empire and has been relevant, even if not "powerful", the entire time. So not a great comparison.

A better comparison would be the Minoans or Etruscans, who existed, had a basic civilization, and were conquered/assimilated before we knew much about them.

Siptah and Zaarin like this.
  3. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

China hasn't impacted the world in the same way as America, England, or Spain did. Maybe influenced the world in some aspects, like God of Kings brought up below.

4. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

If it weren't for the Chinese, how do we get wood-based paper (and by extension, banknotes), a functioning compass, gunpowder, or the printing press? See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Great_Inventions

MooFreaky and Guandao like this.
  5. Wingednosering

Wingednosering Chieftain

Not the purpose of the thread, but personally to me 'civilization' is about survival against overwhelming odds. The fact that humans have come this far is nothing short of amazing when any one of us could still step outside our home towns and die of exposure in days.

To me, duration of the people is a big part of that definition. The Native Americans have tremendous respect from me. They had some pretty difficult environments to survive in without many domesticated animals and still lasted thousands of years.

China is the longest lasting civilization in history. That's worth a lot to me.

It's part of why I don't love the Aztecs or modern nation depictions. Australia, Aztecs, America and Brazil are all so young (or died out so quickly) that it's unclear how 'successful' they'll be long-term.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Ever Adrift likes this.
  6. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Warlord

I thought the wild animals were kind of silly to be honest. I always took the barbs as roving bandits and outsiders.

CPWimmer and Duuk like this.
  7. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Warlord

America was the first/only nation to bring a man to the moon and the first/only to explode a nuclear weapon in wartime. I think they've already made their spot in history books.

8. Guandao

Why the Aztecs? Seems like a strange choice, they at least existed before Australia, America, and Brazil. One can even say their culture has survived to this day. Nahuatl is still spoken in Mexico by a decent (but probably decreasing) number of people.

Zaarin likes this.
  9. Wingednosering

Wingednosering Chieftain

Technically they lasted 150 years as an empire. This was because of the Spanish rather than a natural decline, but still...

10. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

Meanwhile the Inka are certainly worth inclusion, despite a very brief existence. Additionally, we don't know much about some Native North American cultures. What we know is when the Spanish first arrived, they reported a fair bit of populated areas, had brief introductions, and lost some pigs. Then a hundred years passed, several plagues struck back to back or simultaneously against a fairly homogeneous set of immune systems, and when Europeans next explored they found almost none of those populated areas. The lost knowledge of these peoples (who they were, what they knew, etc). severely hampers our ability to depict people from North America.

Meanwhile, if we want to talk about lasting impact, evidence suggests that much of the Amazon and the Great Plains may have been influenced by human efforts (spreading of the particularly fertile soils allowing the rain-forest to grow, control of the spread of the forests to maintain extensive graze lands for particular species of prey).

Guandao likes this.
  11. Vahnstad

Vahnstad Chieftain

Aztecs are a no-brainer imo and also a civ mascotte. The same does apply for the Maya's and the Inca. I think those three civilizations are all known more in Europe than all native American civs tbh. I remember we had to dress as Aztecs once at school for carnaval.

12. Phrozen

Phrozen Chieftain

It is actually the opposite. Usually rainforests and forests grow in rather poorer soil, hence the ubiquitous use of slash and burn farming in such areas to restore nutrients to the soil. Trees having a deep root system let them gather more nutrients from soil but they are slow growing in comparison but not needing as much nutrients as other plants. Plains have rather good soil. In good soil a fast growing, shallow rooted but nutrient intensive grasses and scrub plants out compete the much slower growing trees.

13. Wingednosering

Wingednosering Chieftain

I would argue that the Inca were about 1197 - 1572. Much longer. The maya were also longer. I agree that the Aztec and Maya are probably the most well known Native American civilizations.

pgm123 and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  14. Phoenix1595

Phoenix1595 Lord of the Two Lands

Oh dear, the perennial debate on what constitutes a civilization. At the end of the day, this is a game, and I have always applauded Firaxis for introducing new cultures to the game, both on an entertainment and educational level. I trust Ed and the other designers on whom they deem to be a "civilization."

Xandinho, Ondolindë and Guandao like this.
  15. Guandao

To change the topic, given that Ed Beach has a strong interest in Renaissance Europe, is some form of Italy likely to make it as a Civ in this expansion?

16. DWilson

Perhaps I am mis-remembering, but I recall some notion that the plains v. forests were heavily influenced by the natives in North America; while the Amazon growth was promoted to areas it might not have covered otherwise. That said, I surely haven't done enough research to give specific details.

17. Phoenix1595

Phoenix1595 Lord of the Two Lands

I say yes, but I get outvoted by many here. I agree it is a hard task to create a civ that represents either a beefed-up city-state a la Venice, or a multi-state existing in an specific time period without creating a "blob" civ, like the hideously offensive Native American civ from way back, but I think the evidence is clear that the Italian Renaissance will be represented in some way.

Guandao likes this.
  18. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Not to mention that the Inca were closer to Europeans technologically than any other culture in the New World. Nearly all the New World could cold-work copper. The Mesoamericans could work gold and silver. But the Inca were able to smelt bronze.

Zaarin, Duuk and DWilson like this.
  19. DWilson

While generally agreeing with you, I want to state that a blob-Italy civ (representative of the mildly diverse Italian culture) is far more reflective of real life than a blob-native american civ, a blob-celtic civ, etc.

20. Ondolindë

Ondolindë Chieftain

My two cents on the previous subject and I do agree with @Phoenix1595 that this is something that has been: :deadhorse:.

According to the dictionary, civilization is defined as the stage of human social development and organization that is considered most advanced (i.e. they equated the railroad with progress and civilization.)
    • the process by which a society or place reaches an advanced stage of social development and organization.
    • the society, culture, and way of life of a particular area: the great books of Western civilization | the early civilizations of Mesopotamia and Egypt.
    • the comfort and convenience of modern life, regarded as available only in towns and cities: the fur traders moved further and further from civilization.

So using the most broad part of the definition: any society, culture and way of life of a particular area, that is considered a civilization.

I think where we get conflicted here is that we have preferences based on what we consider ideal and this is a place no one will ever win, if winning is your purpose, simply because preferences are biased and include whether we think the lifespan of such civilization is optimal, or its accomplishments, impact or notoriety and knowledge of it around the world. The franchise has opened its doors to civilizations that are not as popular which I think is a great thing. They are indeed civilizations in their own right, period.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018