1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Battering Rams suck

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Hammer Rabbi, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Babri

Babri Emperor

Not really. Spears would die before they can do much due to high HA :c5rangedstrength:

My point was that HAs can not only kill units but can be effective against cities, infact much more effective than horsemen.

However HAs can kill units more effectively & they are better even against cities compared to spears.

I only play singleplayer so can't comment about multi. I can imagine that u will need to think more when fighting against humans but u will still have a huge advantage early on.

I'll run a test in spear Vs HA & then I'll post screenshots to prove my point. :)

2. Babri

Babri Emperor

HAs win against spears 1 on 1. No moving HAs, they stand & fight spears & still win by a significant margin.

Spoiler :

3. softcactus

softcactus Chieftain

Nevermind

4. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I want to add something to this that I forgot before. The final Roman city was situated at the end of a 2 hex wide peninsula. This presents a novel challenge to the Hunnic rush as the ram can't attack units and the HA can't melee, so it's very hard to attack and move into a tile before another unit gets sent in to block you.

That's what Rome did, they just sat a couple spearmen there and blocked my advance. To get around this, I had to employ a novel (for me at least) tactic: the strategic trireme suicide. (STS)

I built 3 triremes before I attacked so that I could send them against the city. Ordinarly, triremes do so little damage that I would never use them to actually attack a city unsupported. But in this instance, sending a trireme to attack caused the trireme to suffer enough damage that the AI's city and catapult targeted them instead of my vulnerable land units (it tends to prioritize damaged units over all others).

I lost a trireme every turn until they were gone, but this distraction bought me enough time to push through the enemy units and take the city.