Battling upstart nations

zbelg

Warlord
It's been a while since I've played RFC, and I found out the hard way that it is impossible to kill off empires before they can effectively spawn now. For example, when playing as the Maya, my old strategy was to found Huaxyacac as my capital, build up a catapult heavy army in preparation for the coming of the Aztec and smash them before Tenochtitlan could eat my resources. But I found that as soon as I was able to weaken the Aztec starting army, a 6 strength Jaguar popped up on top of the stack. A similar instance happened when I was playing as the Viking and attempted to kill the English so that I could keep Inverness, right when I was about to defeat them, Longbows began to appear out of thin air. I seem to remember the same thing happening with the Spanish in fighting the Portuguese, but from my last game as Isabella it looks like I was able to take them out somehow anyway. I don't know when exactly this happened, but it's made the playstyle that I'm used to much harder. What are the mechanics of this feature, and how do you guys handle these nasty foreign capitals that are too much of a hindrance to ignore when they spawn?

I think it works like this: the first 2 turns a civ spaws any unit killed has a 50% chance to respawn, so you still can kill civs on spawn but you need 75% more troops to be sure. Also even if you kill them all on turn 1 on turn 2 cities may flip, if they are yours and you refuse an small army spawns (outside your cultural borders) and tries to conquer the cities, iirc no settlers spawn in this case.

If you want to really abuse the poor AI mechanics you can wait a turn and the AI will usually move most of its units out of its capital, and when you capture it all the units will be killed. This works best when the capital is by the sea so you can swoop in with galleys.

That's the perhaps well-known AI move. Always moves all units out of the newfounded capital on the second turn no matter what. So far nobody seems to have an idea how to change this behavior.

For example, when playing as the Maya, my old strategy was to found Huaxyacac as my capital, build up a catapult heavy army in preparation for the coming of the Aztec and smash them before Tenochtitlan could eat my resources. But I found that as soon as I was able to weaken the Aztec starting army, a 6 strength Jaguar popped up on top of the stack. A similar instance happened when I was playing as the Viking and attempted to kill the English so that I could keep Inverness, right when I was about to defeat them, Longbows began to appear out of thin air.
For the first approx 2 turns after they spawn if you attack their units, they will have a 50% chance of getting those units again. So you need a really large [compared to the defending army] army and luck too. Note: This happens even when you agree to a flip and attack them a couple of turns later[I learnt that the hard way after trying to Portugal as Spain; I gave them Lisbon and attacked them the next turn.]

For the first approx 2 turns after they spawn if you attack their units, they will have a 50% chance of getting those units again. So you need a really large [compared to the defending army] army and luck too. Note: This happens even when you agree to a flip and attack them a couple of turns later[I learnt that the hard way after trying to Portugal as Spain; I gave them Lisbon and attacked them the next turn.]

I never seem to have much luck with attacking in the first 2 turns and if it worked that well I might feel it was a gimmick. I tend to wait ten turns and then wipe them out. However, I should try that once for Portugal - somehow that particular spawn annoys me.

When I play the Maya I don't found cities in Mexico and attack the Aztecs right after 10 turns. That way I get the use of their settlers (although sometimes that backfires because of the AI's city locations). I initally go right for the choice locations in North America as soon as I have my Shock Longbows.

When I play the Maya I don't found cities in Mexico and attack the Aztecs right after 10 turns. That way I get the use of their settlers (although sometimes that backfires because of the AI's city locations). I initally go right for the choice locations in North America as soon as I have my Shock Longbows.
I prefer vassalization. My capital Huaxyacac can then get the dye, corn next to Tenochtitlan and the stone without any competition. Masters vs vassal culture battles always result in the master getting that tile, that's why.

I prefer vassalization. My capital Huaxyacac can then get the dye, corn next to Tenochtitlan and the stone without any competition. Masters vs vassal culture battles always result in the master getting that tile, that's why.

True about the vassal culture. However, the Aztec cities are so close that the upkeep is minimal and I'm usually not in a dominant enough position to ignore the -1 diplo hit for having a vassal at that point. I like my vassals a little further away and after I have 10 cities.

This is a different approach but the vassalization approach will work as well. Another advantage of the vassal approach is that after the Congresses start you have somebody to vote for you if they get invited.

That's the perhaps well-known AI move. Always moves all units out of the newfounded capital on the second turn no matter what. So far nobody seems to have an idea how to change this behavior.
Could you set the AIs starting units to have 0 movement points remaining upon spawn? That way the AI couldn't possibly get them out of the city on turn 1?

That might work, but I think the problem is that AI first moves the military units and then, when it is settler's turn, decides to settle the city. So perhaps forcing the AI to move settlers before other units might work.

it seems like nobody told you so if it still works like this i haven't played in a while but...

The AI will nab 8 units but it takes your "worst ones" so keep 8 warriors in the enemy territory ALONE with no other of your units in it's spawn range. the enemy will get those warriors, some at first, some over time. once the 8th warrior is absorbed, send in your army because it should not steal any more of your troops after that.

Top Bottom