[R&F] Berserkers, Redux

Roxlimn

Deity
Tried the Berserkers again with new Norway. I confess to using overflow here and there, but nothing egregious - only to clear forests for mines, which I was going to do for certain areas regardless of the chop output.

I was able to make use of them in a pillaging war, but the pillaging war itself solidified my impressions that it just needs one last feature buff to make it complete - have the movement buff also apply whenever the unit is embarked, even if it's in Neutral or Friendly territory. This will justify the leaf tech placement. Oligarchy rework means Knights no longer benefit from that buff, so that closes the distance, and Berserkers pillage faster. they're also cheaper and benefit from a more generic production card, so you can make an entire army under the card, whereas you're locked into Knights only with Chivalry (and you may not even want Divine Right).

Right now, they're 50 on the attack and 35 on defense. It matters somewhat less in some cases because faster pillaging means they can just pillage back their health and go back for a second attack. Tortoise means they're 45 against ranged attacks - not bad at all. The fact that they benefit from being in enemy territory means they're best when you DON'T take cities. This is somewhat different from what you'd normally do.

Normally, once you deplete a city's defenses, you take it. With Norway, you... don't. You pillage the tiles for yields and then you leave it. You need a Chaplain, farms, or the healing Great Scientist to maintain your units. The main problem here is that the AI can produce units from her depleted cities so you can lose units to sniping. Once you've decimated a number of cities, you take them all at once, on the same turn, so they reinforce each other vis a vis Loyalty.

I think the movement could remain as it is if you just let them ignore zones of control. I could easily see them not being overly concerned with enemy unit/fortification proximity, being berserkers and all.

Yes, that was my main concern. Right now, Berserkers are much better at sea than on land, and they only come into their own when they're on enemy tiles, which is a significant drawback compared to Knights, which are their contemporaries. Making them 4 movement at sea means they can keep up with Longships so you can take Berserkers with them when you raid. Right now, that's very awkward to do. Ironically, Indonesia CAN take land units with their Jongs so right now they're absolutely the best sea-going Civ once you get their UU. They can take their land army with them as they go, and it's not limited to one unit. They can take them all. Once the Jongs are past date, you have Steam Power, so embarked unit speed is no longer a limitation.

Basically, the movement buff at sea helps the Berserker tactically somewhat, but it's really more of a strategic buff, so they can arrive at the battlefield and not be facing down Infantry.

It also helps that they've apparently fixed Stave Churches to do what it says on the tin, so now Stave Churches give Holy Sites an additional Standard Adjacency (+1 output) per Woods tile, in addition to the minor adjacency every Holy Site gets from Woods. What this means is that Norway can get +3 Adjacency from 2 Wood tiles - an important breakpoint for running Simultaneum. For most practical purposes, this means Norway can build +3 or better Holy Sites in all their major cities, which is a pretty big deal for faith output. The extra things you can buy with Faith in Rise and Fall certainly helps out the value of this currency. Buying Berserkers with Faith when Carthage is your vassal? Very nice.

The problem of having to build them is still present. Upgrading is just too easy in this game, meaning anything that cannot be upgraded to suffers.

That's true, which is why I'm asking for a power that errs a bit on the side of being too powerful. A special 4-move land unit on water with Norway's Knarr ability is very strong, because it can attack city tiles up to 4 tiles away from shore by surprise. This means that once Berserkers are online, your cities one-tile away from shore that are being bombarded by Frigates are no longer safe, even if you can't see any land units. They can come from beyond your sight range and take your city just fine. Knights can't do this. They're 2-move when embarked. In fact, no unit will be able to replicate this capability, which makes it truly unique for Norway.

So in play, they're supplementary units, not your main force. They attack special targets, or enable your army to land a strong beach head where other civs would struggle. But your main army is still the usual unit mix. They're additions, not replacements, in every practical sense.

"Making them 4 movement at sea means they can keep up with Longships so you can take Berserkers with them when you raid. Right now, that's very awkward to do."

This is an excellent point. Even after you accept researching a leaf tech as well as the fact that they can't be pre-built Berserkers are so slow that they present a logistics nightmare. Increasing their embarked movement would certainly do the trick. Personally I've always thought units should be able to ride on Longships the way they do Jong. Then the Longship could get a bonus for carrying Berserkers to keep them competitive in the Medieval Era. I think that would really bring the Civ's bonuses together.

I wonder if anyone has tried beelining monarchy and building grandmaster's chapel to buy Berserkers with faith. That T2 gov building also provides faith from pillaging, which is a pretty great fit for the Vikings. With the changes to the stave church, maybe faith is the answer.

Top Bottom