Best Tank of WW2

Hellcat was a funny design. Fast, sod all armor, would probably be great in Russia on the offensive.

........... Lack of armour makes the Hellcat extremly vulrenable, even Anti tank rifles, fighter cannon fire, anti aircraft cannons, 20mm cannons on armoured cars.
Hellcats are pretty much mobile anti tank guns and should be used on the defensive.
In addition to thin armor, the M18's flaw was that the engine sucked in air through the open roof for cooling. In winter, this made the M18 brutally cold. The US only had to deal with one winter, the unusually bad winter of 1944-1945, but in the USSR it would have been pretty nasty.

........... Lack of armour makes the Hellcat extremly vulrenable, even Anti tank rifles, fighter cannon fire, anti aircraft cannons, 20mm cannons on armoured cars.
As mentioned, they were open-topped too, which would have given them 360-degree visibility but left the crew vulnerable to any fire from an elevated position.

Hellcats are pretty much mobile anti tank guns and should be used on the defensive.
The Hellcats in Battle of the Bulge were used as ambushers, flying up a paved road that ran parallel to the panzer division's advance, then hitting them from a flanking position. I think Arracourt was a meeting engagement, though, and the Hellcats ripped the German Panthers a new one. iirc, the day was foggy, which may have allowed the Hellcats to close the distance before everybody spotted each other, but also prevented US aircraft from playing.

At any rate, the US Army's armor doctrine was obsolete from the moment they came ashore, they just didn't know it yet (although their turreted TDs probably had more shelf-life than the German and Soviet casemate TDs). That they rebounded as well as they did was a feat. I think a small handful of armies still used tank destroyers after WWII, but the major countries abandoned the idea pretty fast. I think the British were the first to field an actual "universal tank", the Centurion, development of which began even before the invasion of Normandy. I don't know if Centurions saw any action before the war ended, though. The Germans were also developing the E-50 Standardpanzer (which you can see in the online game World of Tanks), which would have been their version of a universal tank. Because of the Allied bombing of their factories and the pressure on their armies in Russia, they never even got a prototype, but it still illustrates that the European armies were looking beyond the lifetime of the tank destroyer before the US Army had even gotten its boots tied.

For reference: The Tank Killers: A History of America's WWII Tank Destroyer Force, by Harry Yeide (2010) (link goes to Amazon)

On the topic of surviving WWII vehicles, I remember reading that a Panther was found in a French family's barn in the 1990s, and that a Soviet SU tank destroyer was pulled out of a bog somewhere in Eastern Europe even more recently than that. The theory was that both were abandoned intact by their crews and then forgotten.

For reference: The Tank Killers: A History of America's WWII Tank Destroyer Force, by Harry Yeide (2010) (link goes to Amazon)

On the topic of surviving WWII vehicles, I remember reading that a Panther was found in a French family's barn in the 1990s, and that a Soviet SU tank destroyer was pulled out of a bog somewhere in Eastern Europe even more recently than that. The theory was that both were abandoned intact by their crews and then forgotten.

There's a lot of YouTube videos about various tanks being found in bogs and rivers in the former USSR.

The German stuff is worth a lot more and they found a panther in someone's basement in Germany.

A relatively large number of ex German stuff turned up in Bulgaria in the 90s. They had been used in static defense emplacements. Some got stolen.

Last edited:
I like the look of the casemate TDs, even if their useful lifespan was about 10 minutes.

According to this fascinating interview with Soviet Sherman tank commander Dmitriy Fedorovich Loza, the M4 was overall quite a good tank. He praised its radios, easy battery charging, smooth and quiet ride on the road, and comfortable faux-leather seats, but also its armor, which didn't spall when hit, and its safer ammunition compared to the T-34. He stated that its HE ammunition did not explode during fires, while the T-34's did, which saved his life on one occasion.

Overall the Sherman has been the subject of a lot of myths. That it was nicknamed the "Ronson," after a lighter brand, for its flammability. That five Shermans were required to defeat one German tank. That its armor was weak, and its gun useless.

First, as far as I can tell, there isn't much evidence it was called the "Ronson." The slogan that allegedly gave the nickname - "Lights the first time, every time" - wasn't even used during the war. The majority of tank fires were caused by ammunition rather than by fuel, and the Sherman, unlike the T-34, received "wet stowage" in later models that greatly reduced the chance of ammunition fires. Sherman crews had a better chance of survival when the armor was pierced than many other tank crews, and it's not like Panzer IVs were any better.

Second, the five-to-one myth stems from the fact that Shermans were generally deployed in units of five in US service. If they needed to engage a German tank, the platoon was ordered after it, not just one tank.

Third, the armor in front was actually well-sloped and generally comparable to that of the T-34. It was especially good when the Sherman first entered service, and while not enough to defeat the best German anti-tank guns, few tanks could, let alone medium tanks. The gun was quite good when the tank came out, and was more than enough for the majority of German tanks. Later models featured the British 76mm gun or the American 3" gun, both long-barreled, and improved AP, APCR, and APCBC ammunition further improved anti-armor performance. They were sometimes not enough to defeat Germany's best, but again, this was a medium tank. And the German Tiger commander "ace" Michael Wittmann was killed in his Tiger by Shermans. This article does a decent job introducing and dispelling these myths.

I
n general, the Sherman's positive traits, like decent armor and firepower, excellent turret traverse, good radios, and excellent adaptability, tend to get overlooked, while it is held to the standards of heavier tanks.
That entered service around 1950.

M26/M46 was produced from 1943-1953. Same basic tank with upgrades as time went on. It was used in the battle of the bulge.

I like the look of the casemate TDs, even if their useful lifespan was about 10 minutes.
The Stug III was Germany's most useful tank with the highest kills and some of the easiest construction/maintenance/logistics

M26/M46 was produced from 1943-1953. Same basic tank with upgrades as time went on. It was used in the battle of the bulge.
Even if you retroactively consider the M26 an M46, only twenty arrived in Europe in time for the war, and then only in February 1945, after the end of the Battle of the Bulge.

So? It was still the best tank fieldedand served in combat in WW2. The OP didn’t put a qualifier on it talking about numbers deployed. Oh, and, yes, M26/M46 series was the same basic tank just with upgrades over its service life.

So? It was still the best tank fieldedand served in combat in WW2. The OP didn’t put a qualifier on it talking about numbers deployed. Oh, and, yes, M26/M46 series was the same basic tank just with upgrades over its service life.

Well they lost 44 000 of then, another poster put in a Soviet tankers opinion vs the Sherman and in Korea they lost 2-1 vs the Sherman.

It's a big symbol of course to the people of the USSR like the Spitfire is to the British.

The Stug III was Germany's most useful tank with the highest kills and some of the easiest construction/maintenance/logistics

Stuggs are generally deployed on the defensive which explains there high kill ratios, and the Germans tend to overstate tank kill.
Apart from that its a pretty ingenious design, making use of Panzer III production
It was also cheaper to produce then a Turret Panzer4 tank

Not really suitable for offensive, the Germans used them of course because they had no choice and these took heavily losses when used in place of a turreted tanks.

Last edited:
Stuggs are generally deployed on the defensive which explains there high kill ratios, and the Germans tend to overstate tank kill.
Apart from that its a pretty ingenious design, making use of Panzer III production
It was also cheaper to produce then a Turret Panzer4 tank

Not really suitable for offensive, the Germans used them of course because they had no choice and these took heavily losses when used in place of a turreted tanks.

It wasn't just cost it was a way to use factories for early war lt tanks could be used to manufacture effective weapons.

Hetzer used Czech chasis, StuG III used PzIII. They couldn't upgun them to 75mm, didn't have time to retool the factories,didn't have a command economy love me the Soviets who also had a 4-5 year head start on building tank factories.

Germans didn't have Tankograd or the resources. It's why they they went for bigger and better if they built more tanks they couldn't fuel them anyway.

Baku produced something like 10 or 15 times the amount of oil than the entire German fuel industry.

my god that thing looks like an artillery gun on a tank

90mm gun I a medium tank with extra armor strapped to the front.

Germans couldn't get an 88mm on a medium tank.

Allies were happy to use German tech after the war but virtually nothing got carried over from Panther/Tiger design. Maybe Coppola and put high velocity AA gun in tank but all the western allies figured that out before the end of the war along with the Soviets.

Sad to say .... Tiger was best :(

It wasn't just cost it was a way to use factories for early war lt tanks could be used to manufacture effective weapons.
Hetzer used Czech chasis, StuG III used PzIII. They couldn't upgun them to 75mm, didn't have time to retool the factories,didn't have a command economy love me the Soviets who also had a 4-5 year head start on building tank factories.
Germans didn't have Tankograd or the resources. It's why they they went for bigger and better if they built more tanks they couldn't fuel them anyway.
Baku produced something like 10 or 15 times the amount of oil than the entire German fuel industry.

Well the Germans knew that they would not be able to match the mass production of the Allies, they just went overboard in their pursuit of best and over engineering everything, multiple designs, chasing super weapons
The other thing is if you build enough cheap Assault guns then you dont need to keep shuffling Panzer divisions everywhere burning up fuel and wearing out engine, etc

was just about to rant about Xenforo killing my subscription again , but then ı discovered this was a seperate thread . So , all the Western tanks since WW II are Panthers , learning and stuff , especially how it could cope with larger numbers of enemy tanks , when it could be made to move . Centurions made it to occupation duty , they might hve missed the war by weeks or even days . German casemate tanks happened , because Guderian concentrated all possible capacity for HIS panzer divisions so Mantstein , Infantry at the time , had to invent a mobile armoured gun post , which was really on the way by the end of WW I . They are cheap , they allow a larger gun for the weight of the vehicle and like when necessary to choose between Hetzers and ATGMs , which were really happening at the time , ı would say Hetzer chassis or something with a missile rack .

and actually am like fond of this "flawed" US Anti-tank doctrine that got them disaster to disaster . Imagine what would you be personally doing in WW II , if your enemy had 200 mm armour on a 40 ton chassis and a 88/90 or even post war 105 class gun . Super fast that he can't hit you , suicide companies to attack even one single and yeah , flank attacks and stuff .

Top Bottom