1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Best YouTube playthroughs?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by tobiasn, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

I haven't written that anywhere, so no :D

It's simply just the amount of video to go through, which is a lot independent of how great it probably is. Look forward to it being released though. Should be an interesting watch. I'm reading the last Replay btw, but it's taking a silly amount of time because I have so much else on the plate too.

2. auagxa

auagxa Warlord

56 hours is quite a lot for someone watching AbsoluteZero's Deity Plays. Like to watch it though since I still screw some openings and mid-game management for me to confidently move up levels.

3. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Would be ace to get it out soon. Short of having nukes to launch at my arsehole neighbhours, watching some good Civ 4 would be good.

4. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

It's very nice, that you're awaiting the video with initial tension, but I want to make something awesome out of it, and at the current rate at which I'm progressing with its production, this might become an event that will take up to 3 months, which is the maximum time-limit that I've set myself for this, as April is the month where Elder Scrolls Online will be released, and as I'm going to change the game and play that game exclusively from that point onwards, this video might become something like "a Legacy" from me in CIV.

It's possible that I can speed up the production of the video, once I'm really comfortable with the programs with which I'm working, but recording 1h of audio-commentary alone takes me at least 1h, more likely 2 or 3. Arranging the soundtrack towards that part, again takes me at least 1h, and then I want to think about what I'm actually talking, because as I said: What I'm trying is to give away the way with which I beat Civilization on Deity, so I basically want the viewers to be able to beat Deity after having watched my video!

So it'd be good, if you could see this as the kind of event that it's going to be, something like "the hugest Civilization IV movie ever made" , or like "a TV-series about Civilization" that is produced live currently, and where the episodes are released in single one after another, at a rate of maybe 3-4 episodes / weak, which I find is very very very much already!

Be patient. If I'm as good as I think, I'll be able to cut down the time for the production to maybe 2 months, and that would mean that you could maybe see something like 1h Civilization / day. I'm sure that you have enough other things to do, and appreciate me producing the video with highest quality standards more, than simply making a "Let's Play" , where I talk some $hit that nobody wants to listen to anyhow.

5. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

Omg. It took 'til today, but I just recently finished the production of the 1st part of Replay #9.

I hope you'll find it having been worth the wait. I personally think its brilliant and quite epic at some times, but very slow.

I'll only continue it if the reactions will be good, then I'll definately ensure that the next parts are going to be faster. I personally think only 1 person in the whole world could watch the 56h of raw video material, so I'll cut and fasten up the video of the game as much as possible, hoping I'll maybe get it down to something like 10-15h. Not sure if that's possible, but I'll do my best.

6. marjen

marjen Chieftain

@Seraiel

Great!! I'm looking forward to seeing this new video series. I could really use the help with my game.

7. sinimusta

sinimusta el capitano

@Seraiel

Great news!:goodjob: When will it be on youtube?

8. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

I calculated that the upload is going to take about 2-3h, so with encoding currently still taking place and with Youtube also needing time to publish the video (?) I assume it's gonna be something between 3.5 and 5.5h from now?

If I succeed with what I'm planning btw., you're going to be able to beat Deity after having watched it. That's the main reason why it's also taking so extremely long to produce it, it's no "Let's play" but more sort of a fusion to give skills to you that'll enable you to beat Deity. That's btw. also the main reason why the production of the 1st part already took something like 10h of work, not to mention that I had to do things like fill out application forms for hours of Music in order to get a permission to use that Music for the soundtrack of the "Replay" .

9. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

10. cseanny

cseanny Emperor

11. marjen

marjen Chieftain

Excellent Video Seraiel. I really liked the tip about Horizontal Expansion vs. Vertical Expansion. :) I never knew that city spacing and population could affect (or lower) the AI's chances to DoW you. :woohoo: That's certainly a tip I'm gonna remember in my games. Can't wait to try it out. Keep the great vids coming.

12. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

So far so good, Serial. Your English is excellent. Music not so bad this time. I'd still prefer it a little lower, but the music is pretty good and subtle so I don't mind so much.

It's better for the viewer if you keep resource bubbles and tile yields on.

13. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

Next parts will probably go online faster and easier. I had to solve various problems which made producing the 1st part very hard. I hope you appreciate that the video and audio of the "movie" therefor are and will be very good.

TY for that kindness :) .

I already have some great ideas on how to improve the upcomming episodes. I want to bring more action into the movie, want to give more tips, and also want to fasten up the speed of the video greatly, which will involve a lot of cutting and working with the raw-video-material.

It's a lot of work, but leaving this kind of legacy to the CIV community also makes a lot of fun, and comments like that really help going upwards.

14. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

Thx for the compliment on my english, and glad you're enjoying the music more this time :) .

The video itself I cannot change, because what most aren't aware of, is, that I recorded the video live, but record the overlaying audio-commentary a lot later, and tbh, I neither could play with resource-bubbles being turned on the whole time (would totally disturb my focus because when i. e. clicking on a bubble, the screen wouldn't move like when clicking on the terrain) , nor do I think that it's actually needed to see those bubbles all the time.

Don't forget that the video is in 1080p full-hd and recorded with 8000 kbps x264 quality.

I hope you didn't play it in 480p, so standard Youtube setting :eek: .

15. lymond

Yep, I've assumed this was added audio to a pre-recorded video.

While it may not be your personal preference, it is better for the viewers. It's your videos so do what you want, but it does improve the experience for your viewers. The point being is that "ideally" your first considerations should be toward your viewers, although technical limitations can sometimes not oblige.

Yep, I have YT set to auto-update to the highest rez. I think most frequent YT users know to do this.

Gems:

Spoiler :
    Jems :lol: - small English lesson for you. As for Espionage, I love the way you say it so I won't correct it.

16. Nials

Nials Prince

Looks interesting!

I agree with lymond about the music being a little too loud.

17. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

Playing with the resource-bubbles on for the whole time, would have greatly annoyed me, because I couldn't have clicked like I usually click. That would have disturbed my focus, so I wouldn't have been able to play as well as I did, and the result would have been, that the game itself would not be as good as it got.

Thinking towards my viewers when playing the game I record, I found to be a very disturbing experience, because it makes me rush moves in order to keep the video moving, it hinders me to think clearly and i. e. take 1h for 1turn, so while I really respect and love all of my viewers when recording the audio-commentary and when finishing the video itself, the game which would be seen again would have been completely different.

What you're going to see, is a game, that was recorded without any major mistakes. I think even minor mistakes are either very rare, or, what's also possible, is, that the game shown is truely perfect - Now I remember that I once whipped a city 1T earlier than I wanted... But that's about it, for 200+ T and thousands of decisions!

I think that this is actually worth a lot, showing an almost flawless and perfect game, and I think the viewers will see that too and wil appreciate.

Thx for the correction, but just to be sure, there isn't an "english" form of "Gems" with a hard G instead of the spoken J, right?

And I'll look up how espionage is truely spoken.

Seriously? :(

I turned down the music by 14 db. From what I learned about Physics, I know that that is incredibly much already, I think that's below 20% when it comes to the loudness of something.

I listend myself into the video at least several times, and will again now... I just cannot believe that I'm so hard understandeable. I know I'm sometimes difficult, but I believe that what I say can actually be heard very well. Maybe the last is a wish.

18. RedKi-rr

RedKi-rr Prince

I also agree that volume of music is a little bit high (there is a big jump from the voice volume to the music volume). Also now your voice become more cheerfull than it the first video:goodjob: What about else? I would say - it's great! Very interesting, educational and very well done. Just waiting for the next video.:king:

19. sinimusta

sinimusta el capitano

@Seraiel
    Thanks for the video, I enjoyed it. I had no problems with the music being too loud, the commentary was still clear.

I hope you will get a Great spy in the cap despite that mids and maybe oracle could lead to GE or GP. Seeing how you choose use esionage in this game will be interesting. But don't spoil whether or not this happens. ;)

20. lymond

The voice volume is perfect. Music started a bit loud but that was just the intro anyway, so no problem. The music became much softer and subtle later, probably in part to the type of music. The point though is that viewers don't watch Civ LPs for the music. We watch it for the gameplay and educational experience. Loud music can be very distracting and it's hard to really understand..I guess..unless you are the viewer. Again, it was fine for this video.

Spoiler :
    Not that I'm aware. The different sounds of "G" in our mutt language can be quite confusing. Who knows....centuries ago it might have been pronounced with a hard "G", but I don't know the etymology of the word.. I don't think there is a rule to go by in terms of the G sound. I can easily see how non-native speakers can confuse the usage. English is a core Germanic language, but just has so many influences from other languages and even American English has its own evolution

Since you mentioned it, you basically have Espionage right except for the "i" sound, but your pronunciation makes sense and sounds good. The "i" is pronounced "e" as in "we"

I've played all my many years of Civ IV with resource bubbles on and have no idea how they cause the issues you describe. Maybe the requirement of windowed-mode messes it up. I forget..haven't done an LP in a long time. I always moved using the mini-map in windowed-mode and resource bubbles would not impact that. At least give us tile yields.

other feedback

Spoiler :
    Please take this in the friendliest way possible, but I notice that you tend to get a bit defensive by some of the comments, whether that is intended or not, it comes off that way. Everything is positive here. People are watching your videos and enjoying them. Getting some constructive feedback is always good and should be encouraged. You don't even have to acknowledge certain feedback if you don't want or just say that is not my style. We're just trying to help you make the experience better for all viewers. It increases your views, likes and subscribers. If you don't care about that, that is fine too.