Beta 5 Talk

Yes, we all don't like them so we make sure they collapse early on.

Now seriously, other than a stability buff, what else do you think they need.

Now in monarch, AI Byzantium usually is tech leader until 1100s (AI French is another leader), and usually get education and drama first. They also get gunpowder around 1000.

In human hand, I can lead Byzantium all the way, build every orthodox wonder. The strategy is religious law - cottage economy. Tech: manorilism, engineering-vaulted arches->plate armor, then philosophy-education, then sailing line to clockmaking, found Hanseastic League -- this is too important. After paper switch to limited monarchy then we are good.

Turn 1 switch to religious law, then sign 2 priests in Jerusalem, and Tyre make a settler , both can finish before Arab spawns. First 3 GP join capital. Keep a merchant in Alexandria and Constantinopolis. Capital build Marco Polo's Embassy right after work boat and a worker. Alexandria build settler after 2 work boats and 1 worker. Settle Sicily(Agrigentum). Build a spy and focus on Papal state, we can steal money from Rome. I Also conquered Neapolis by initial swordsmen, although it declared independence once. With Neapolis and Sicily we can get a good foothold in middle of the map.

Before Arab spawns, make roads between Tyre and would-be Dimashq, starve Tyre and Jerusalem to 1 and empty garrison. Let their horse archer capture Type in turn 1, Jerusalem in turn 2, so there won't be flip, and our swordsmen can retake Levant when stability is good.

Found cities in Anatolia and Greece, fill all blanks before 1000, Seljuks spawn in emply space. Send a unit to where Mus would be too. There are 2-3 decent city sites in Anatolia like Trapezus, and inland XXX on iron near deer, copper. Then go for UHV or domination.

Yeah, I also don't find Byzantium underpowered
On the contrary, maybe we should increase some of their civ specific modifiers...

They are not exactly penalties, each civ have modifiers to be easier to balance them.
It's needed because of the different starting dates

But yeah, I agree on the Polish. It should be rather 120 or so
Btw I would increase these for France too, not just for Byzantium
They have so huge advantage because of their early start
Anyway, all of these will have to be rebalanced again after all UHV's are final and properly working

What is the problem with Joan? England spawns in 1060AD and it totally makes sense to have them meet Joan and not Charlemagne. We cannot put every leader for every nation, but we should be able to partition history in periods, Frank Empire - Charlemagne early on, French vs British conflict - Joan.

Also, how big of an issues is the early culture? Every civ should get religion within 5 - 10 turns after spawn with the possible exception of the Norse and Kiev?

What happens is Joan of Arc starts out as the Franks, then switched to Charlemagne around 1200. Yeah, it's a bug.

It will be fixed in the next version

Hey 3Miro!
Do you plan to upload something to the svn tonight?
If not, I will finalize my changes, merge in the latest svn updates, and upload all the changed files in a rar to megaupload
Then you or merijn can easily update svn

Hey 3Miro!
Do you plan to upload something to the svn tonight?
If not, I will finalize my changes, merge in the latest svn updates, and upload all the changed files in a rar to megaupload
Then you or merijn can easily update svn

I am currently making changes and I will update the svn in the next couple of hours. If I know correctly, you should only be changing the art files, Leade-head XML and const.py. Of those, I have only changed consts.py.

Post those files here (or somewhere), I will manually merge consts.py and upload to the svn.

Yeah there were only 2 files changed by both of us recently. The const.py and the CivilizationInfos.xml
I already merged both of those

I'm afraid it won't be that easy to update everything, I changed quite a few files (40+)
This is my not-too-detailed "changelog":

Spoiler :
Todo with my update:

Update all the changed files to the svn of course :)
Move the magyar_intro.mp3 and magyar_theme.mp3 to Assets/Sounds/Diplomacy/ (from Assets/Sounds/Soundtrack/)
Rename the Matthias_Early.mp3, Matthias_Middle.mp3 and Matthias_Late.mp3 to Pope_Early, Pope_Middle and Pope_Late
Also you can delete these xml backup files: BasicInfos/CIV4BasicInfos (copy).xml_mbackup, Civilizations/CIV4LeaderHeadInfos.xml_light, GameInfo/CIV4CultureLevelInfo (copy).xml_mbackup
(I checked them, nothing there is important anymore. And if someone really wants them, they are in the previous Betas anyway)
This xml file is unneeded too, should be deleted: Text/CIV4GameText_DynamicCivNames_99INDY.xml
Rename the CIV4GameTextInfos_RFCE_Pedia_Bonuses.xml to CIV4GameTextInfos_RFCE_BonusPedia.xml to uniformize files

Changes:

Sounds: Now DiploMusicPeace is _early, _early, _middle, _late and DiploMusicWar is _early, _middle, _middle, _late for the 4 used eras (both was _early, _early, _middle, _middle)
Only exceptions are Suleiman and Oranje, they have _early, _early, _middle, _middle right now
Added Matthias' new music to the Pope, Matthias reverted to the way he was before
Better music still needed for: Simeon (3Miro), Barbarossa, Philip the Bold, Simone Boccanegra, hungarian leaders (Absinthe)

XML: Fixed quite a few typos
Made two new xml files - CIV4GameTextInfos_RFCE_Civilizations.xml and CIV4GameTextInfos_RFCE_Leaders.xml
Moved all the civ and leader entries here - this was a mess before, it will be much easier to keep track of everything and improve this way
Added civilopedia entries for Moscow and Norse (they are just temporary from the vanilla civilopedia, but better than nothing) - will have to update this along with many leader entries anyway
Already added/updated pedia entry of Harald, Barbarossa, Gustav Vasa, Casimir and Stephen
New or greatly updated diplo text for Afonso, Abu Bakr, Matthias, Stephen, Barbarossa, Philip II, Gustav Vasa, Yaroslav, Ivan IV, Joan, Casimir, Sobieski and Harald

Art: Addded some unique hungarian buttons, updated a few leader buttons
Updated the art of Abu Bakr and Philip II
Temporarly added George III, Andrea Dandolo, Haakon Iv and Maria II - they will be further updated later if we want to keep them
A little cleanup in the art of the leaderheads and units (removing a few unused files)

Many of my updates are still uncomplete (art, diplotext, etc).
So I will keep improving the leader and civ xml entries, the diplotexts, and the leaderhead art

I have only changed the .dll and some python files this time. I have not changed any XML.

How long do you think it will take you to complete the art changes. I have some time to work on the mod Saturday, but I have to do other things on Sunday. I want to get the next Beta tomorrow.

You can give whatever you have either today or tomorrow (before noon preferably, so I can have some time to test the graphics and upload it). Or we can wait until the next Beta, when changes will be complete.

Sounds good to me
Do you want to update the cordoban citymap?

I'd love to, but right now the RFCEMaps.py file looks extremely cluttered. I've had a lot of success modifying the maps for base RFC due to the fact that when I open the file in excel, each element of the array has its own cell. The RFCEMaps.py file has everything squished in the leftmost column. Because each entry can be of a different length, the rows become out of sync by the time one moves eastward. This makes it extremely difficult to update the map. SOI was originally like this as well, but the recent versions have made improved it. If you can fix this, I'll be able to update the maps.

I have only changed the .dll and some python files this time. I have not changed any XML.

How long do you think it will take you to complete the art changes. I have some time to work on the mod Saturday, but I have to do other things on Sunday. I want to get the next Beta tomorrow.

You can give whatever you have either today or tomorrow (before noon preferably, so I can have some time to test the graphics and upload it). Or we can wait until the next Beta, when changes will be complete.

This is a more or less a long term project. I want to update all the leaders, civs, etc as much as possible
So I would rather see the already done improvements in Beta 6
I plan to upload the rar for you within an hour

This is a more or less a long term project. I want to update all the leaders, civs, etc as much as possible
So I would rather see the already done improvements in Beta 6
I plan to upload the rar for you within an hour

That is fine. Send me whatever you have. I will wait (even though it is pass my bed time ;) )

That is fine. Send me whatever you have. I will wait (even though it is pass my bed time ;) )

Hm, somehow my upload is quite slow tonight
Anyway, it's almost ready, should be up in 10 minutes
In the meanwhile I tested it on the latest gnu tarball from svn, and everything seems fine so far :goodjob:

I'd love to, but right now the RFCEMaps.py file looks extremely cluttered. I've had a lot of success modifying the maps for base RFC due to the fact that when I open the file in excel, each element of the array has its own cell. The RFCEMaps.py file has everything squished in the leftmost column. Because each entry can be of a different length, the rows become out of sync by the time one moves eastward. This makes it extremely difficult to update the map. SOI was originally like this as well, but the recent versions have made improved it. If you can fix this, I'll be able to update the maps.

Yeah, it's really annoying to update the maps manually
I'm working on the hungarian one for weeks now, but always got sidetracked by something more interesting

Sedna had an easy way porting every name directly from WorldBuilder, but unfortunately he is not around that much nowadays
Anyway, here is the link to the thread if you are interested

If I get a chance I can write a script that converts name tags from the WorldBuilder to Python arrays, but this will probably not be any time soon.

The changes look good so far. I am including them and making a commit.

Uploading does take a while and I am uploading as fast as my connection allows.

Here is a short list of the new changes so far:

Spoiler :

- merijn_v1 updates some text on the new Manor House/Civic
- art and text changes by merijn_v1
- fixed Hungarian spawn units (2 Axes, 3 Horse Archers)
- fixed Hungarian UU, now it accurately replaces the Heavy Lancer
- removed the Congress.py file, it wasn't used at all
- removed the first strikes from the Konnik
- moved the Heavy Lancer Icon to Blast Furnace
- Blast Furnace now requires Feudalism
- The Pope no longer collapses due to bad stability
- Changes Burgundian UB to Winery (extra culture, extra health from Wine), art has not been changed
- Various Religious wonders now give Faith points
- Increaded the FP bonus form Cathedrals to 3
- Increased the requirement for Bulgarian UHV to 60 points
- Faith points are capped at 60, can be adjusted for every individual religion
- Pope AI now avoids the Printing Press
- Added AI cheat code, now some players get bonus for AI to AI battles. We can use that to boost some Ai players and get more historic game (like Ottomans vs Byzantium and Bulgaria)
- Dutch gets a "hidden" buff on the Faith Points, with only couple of cities, they can never accumulate enough
- lots of leaderhead and XML text changes from AbsintheRed
- Bugfix - Manor House used to not give Stability
- Bugfix - Spanish UP now gives Espionage points
- Bugfix - Genoa Bank and Corp UHV
- Bugfix - Human now gets only +1 Faith from prosecuting (the AI gets +1, Human used to get +2)
- Bugfix - Norse get Manorialism as a starting tech
- Bugfix - French leaders now follow correctly Charlemagne, Joan, Jouis
- Bugfix - Updated the starting years on the autorun Popup screen (Bulgaria, Hungary, Kiev and Cordoba were off)

AbsintheRed, since you are working on the Leaderheads, can you update the leaderhead light file. All you have to do is copy the current .xml file and then replace the graphics of all the leaders with leaders form BtS (one line per leader). Istvan used to be Hanibal, Simeon was Darius and so on. Doesn't matter what you put really, so long as it is something that people with weaker machines can handle.

Oh so that was the point of the leaderhead light file :)
No prob, I will update it for Beta 7

EDIT: Just saw the svn
Did you forgot to move, rename and delete those files, or is it still coming? ;)

Top Bottom