Better BUG AI

@ To Fuyu

I have the BAT mod working fine now ( at last :coffee: )
I am considering installing your Better BUG AI.

On the first page, you write :
"Combining this mod with BAT 2.3:
1. Install BAT ( Done in my case )
2. Copy Better BUG AI's Assets over to BAT, overwrite.
3. Extract the merged files from this "Merged xml files for BAT + Better BUG AI.zip" to BAT, overwrite."

In order to do that I prefer to install the mod manually not with an exe.
I downloded the Better BUG AI 1.02b (2010-09-26) Setup.exe,but I can't seem to be able do install it outside of the game, the install won't take it ( the "next" option stays greyed out ).
I'm saying that because I can't Copy Better BUG AI's Assets over to BAT. The exe from the Mod probably does it automatic, but I'd like to have control on that.
Is there a Zip version of your mod, so I could pre install it somewhere first, ( I have a folder where I allways put my unzipped Mods before installing ) and then do the necessary copy manips myself.

The thing is, not beeing an expert, for the least :rolleyes:, I'm afraid that the .exe would S**** up my BAT install ( with which I already had so much hard time [including you guys. I mean you guys had a hard time with me, not Vice Versa...;)] with.

Thank you in advance.

As always, your posts don't make a lot of sense to me, I'll still try to answer ..

7zip will let you extract the files from the exe directly, but the better way to get the assets files is to simply download them from the SVN. I do hope this solves whatever trouble you have, though I don't really understand what that is exactly. If you need further help, please don't post here, send me a pm.

Thank you for the "As always"... Will remember that one...
It's not because I didn't succeed in making you understand what I mean ( those things aren't always easy to explain ) that it makes no sense...

But even in saying you don't understand my issue, you do, as you give me the right answer. I just didn't know you could do it that way, so thanks anyway. I will try not to bother you again with my silly questions...

Not everybody has your knowledge, ( and I don't have the "Science infuse" ) you know, and if now you know, you did'nt all lean it by yourself... Everything we know, we always learn it from someone ( say or text or else )...

The problem is that you made an assumption that is not correct:
The exe from the Mod probably does it automatic, but I'd like to have control on that.
The exe doesn't do anything but install the Better Bug AI mod. That is it. Your assumption that it magically knows you want to merge it with the BAT mod is incorrect. It knows nothing of the BAT mod. The merge has to be done manually. Therefore you do already have full control over the operation. Therefore your question makes no sense: "How do I get full control over something I already have full control over?" See? No sense.

On the other hand, the part where you say
I downloded the Better BUG AI 1.02b (2010-09-26) Setup.exe,but I can't seem to be able do install it outside of the game, the install won't take it ( the "next" option stays greyed out ).
is a problem. Figuring that out could be a good thing since if the BBugAI installer doesn't work then the installer for other mods probably won't work for you either.

No, you did not understand what I was saying. You misunderstood what assumption I was making. You thought my assumption was "It magically knows you want to merge it with the BAT" when my assumtion saying "The exe from the Mod probably does it automatic" meant when you deal with an .exe the .exe knows automatically where to put the files, and organise them, it's not like when you install something manually...
OK, never mind anyway if nobody understand what I say. Problem solved, and I'm not going to spend half a day on it.

For the second point, I assumed ( may be wrongly ) that it was meant to behave the way it did. So, yes may be it could be changed so that people can make an install in some folder to be able to do it manually after if they prefer... ( That's what I meant by having full control on an install ) Dunno !!

BTW, do all this merging on a copy of BAT! Go to the Mods folder that contains "BAT Mod 2.3", copy the BAT folder, and paste it right there. Rename the copy to something helpful like "Better BAT AI". Then copy the Better BUG AI assets into that new folder.

Thanks for your reply EmperorFool.:)

Whatever I intended to do, the .exe would not let me install it anywhere else than what was intended, I could not change the prechosen path. When I browse for another folder to install it to, it greys me out the "OK". (??)

Anyway Fuyu has given me a link to the "bullai-Assets.tar" which is the same but under a non exe form, so I know better what I'm doing. Didn't know there was a way to get the files like this, otherwise I wouln't have asked...

I don't know why the installer doesn't let you change the path, I didn't write it, I'm just using it. I can only assume that it was written that way because installing anywhere else doesn't make a lot of sense if a valid registry key was found. Would it really have killed you if you actually installed Better BUG AI as a mod, to its proper folder? I seriously have trouble understanding why you are making things so complicated for yourself, or if you even understand what you are doing. I'm sorry for the "as always", it just wasn't the first post you made that confused me a bit.

I installed Better Bug AI to a non-standard folder and had no problems whatsoever with that. It's of course possible that this is a bug in the installer that no one else but JMV ever encountered, but since he has a history of experiencing problems that no one else has and which later turn out to be user mistakes which could have been prevented by reading the available documentation (see here or here). There's also a history of attacking people for criticizing him (mostly here, though many posts were deleted). In any case, while of course every report should be given some consideration, don't let it bring you down, Fuyu. :)

@ To Fuyu

OK, I understand that you can be "surprised" with the way I think.

I explain :
I am new on this Forum. While I have been for 3-4 years on Subsim on SH3 and know the basics pretty well on how to install a Mod, I have huge knowledge gaps, because I am no Computer litterate. Anything beyond moving a few files, or making some really basic manips, is :crazyeye: to me.
So, yes I still understand very little how things work, so it happens what is generally typical for a "greenhorn" like me, to make things more complicated than they really are...
I understand fully that it can be aggravating for you ( that know the tricks of the trade by heart ) and must take it at a snails pace to explain things, let's say obvious...
But what is obvious for you might not be so for everybody.
In any case, sorry for the trouble, and the silly questions, but my ( hopeless ) case requires some patience, and cool nerves.

You where spot on saying: "I seriously have trouble understanding why you are making things so complicated for yourself, or if you even understand what you are doing."
The only difference is I don't do anything on my own initiative, because I know full well about myself...That's why I ask rather more often than not...

Apart from that, no hard feelings, I boil up quickly too...

@ To Psyringe

I don't know, I just tried again with that .exe, and I get the same result...
So may be I'm dreaming...

Okay, I re-downloaded the mod and tried to install it. I experienced the same thing as JMV: After clicking on "Browse" and trying to choose another folder to install to, "Ok" is greyed out and the folder can't be selected. New folders can be created, but can't be selected either. Also, when I try to manually ype in a different folder path (instead of clicking "Browse"), I can't continue installation either because then the "Next" button is greyed out.

However, none of that was actually an issue because there was no need to install the mod anywhere else than in the BtS folder, which the mod correctly read out of the registry. Actually it may be better that the installer prevents users to choose different folders under these circumstances, because it prevents further problems. So greying the buttons out prevents me from installing the mod to the wrong place. If Civ4 has a registry entry, and the info there is wrong, then clearly that should be corrected first before installing mods which depend on these entries.

The installer doesn't explain why it greys out the button though, so it's understandable that it confuses users when it happens. However, it actually shouldn't happen in the first place, unless something's seriously wrong with the user's installation.

@ To Psyringe

Your Paragraphs 1 and 3 : Thanks for trying and confirming I know I'm not completely mad
Your paragraph 2 : See my post Number 351 where I explain why a noob looks and behaves like a noob.
We will see you all when you get that 56 years old brain of mine...

As for my entry on the scene, I know I have my wrongs, but some like to stir the knife in the wound too. Anyway my anger was against the banks, and nobody else...
I have apologized already, so if you want to carry on, you carry on on your own. Everybody can make mistakes. Period.

The problem is, I think you make things very complicated for yourself. If you're new at something it might be better not to get in over your head. If it's too difficult to do something, then it might not be worth the effort it takes. Try to find easier solutions, release on your rigor demands for what you're trying to do and find a solution that is not exactly what you thought you wanted, but something that works pretty much as well.

The first steps in any domain are always the hardest. I'm not exactly new to computers, and eventhough this computer is my first one and only got it 4 years ago, I had to learn everything from scrath. Now this is a new game for me. XML and Python were not used on SH3 Forum for which I was a member for a few years.
So, will try to ask less questions. Anyway the main issues I had were because I could not install the patch 3.19 originally, and also I had not found the right explaination pages about the BUG Mod. Now, all that is solved, that should become less extreme for everybody.
Thanks all for your explanations and patience all.

Hey, I don't know XML or Python either, and I've had a computer since I was 7 years old (Amiga 500). The point is, you probably don't need to know XML or Python unless you're a programmer or learning to become one. If you think you do, you're probably doing something that has a much easier solution.

Yes, Caboose, I get your point about Python and XML, but when you say you've been on computers since you were 7 years old, that's probably the difference ( and the age difference ) with you all and myself. I said yesterday I had my first computer 4 years ago, but I had forgotten I had a 286 in 1992 or so, but unlike you I wasn't born with a PC in my craddle :lol:

Anyway to make it short, It's installed and working. Copies the assets from the bullai.tar
into C:\...My Games\Beyond the Sword\MODS\BAT Mod 2.3\Assets. Before that I had made a copy of the original BAT Mod 2.3 assets, just in case it didn't work for some reason... Now I know I can delete the original as it working OK. I did that not because I don't trust the makers of this Mod, but instead because I don't trust myself. Beeing over prudent saved me many times from having to reinstall in the past.

BTW, since I managed to patch to 3.19, my problems with "Sword of Islam", "Hundred
years War" are OK and probably now a few others that I didn't retry since are probably OK too

So, Thank you all for your help and congrats Fuyu, EmperorFool, LemonMerchant, and all the others, for those superb Mods.

Anyway to make it short, It's installed and working.
Congratulations.

To some extent it doesn't matter how you got there, as long as you did. Quickly and easily is better, but slow and difficult is OK if it ultimately works and you enjoy the result.

First I want to corroborate that I have always had the glitch during the install where the "Next" button is disabled when trying to install Better BUG AI anywhere other than the MODS folder under Program Files, ever since the first release. I am Administrator on a WinXP machine. But as mentioned, it's not a problem: both the Better BUG AI and BAT installation .exe's merely copy the files to the announced locations. You just need to go there and do the copying/merging yourself.

Now onto the possible bug. I thought that standing on top of an enemy's resource with a military unit would block that resource, but I have a situation where it's not. There's also the glitch that all her cities have access to it despite being cut off from each other. I'm using r117 merged with BAT 2.3.

So I'm at war with Catherine, and she has a single Copper resource and no Iron. I verified that she's not getting Copper or Iron from anyone else, and anyway I blocked all her trade routes too. Easy because she only has 3 cities. So, I parked an Axeman and Warrior on the Copper, but she's continuing to produce Axemen and Spearmen in ALL of her cities, which is weird because they're not even connected with each other any more. And furthermore, to experiment, I tried pillaging the Copper mine. Bingo, suddenly there's nothing but Archers being produced by all her cities. I can provide screenshots and savegames if necessary to help diagnose.

One other issue to ask about while I'm at it: I had a perma-build of Axemen going for a long time (that is, pressed Alt while choosing it). After it in the queue were a Worker and Settler. As soon as the Worker got to the point where it would start losing hammers, the Axemen suddenly moved to the bottom of the queue. When I tried hitting Ctrl while choosing Axeman again, it went to the end of the queue instead of the beginning. I couldn't get the order I wanted until I removed the Worker and Settler and did the ordering again from scratch. "Feature" or bug? :) I can see why it might be useful, to prevent hammer loss, but it caught me unawares. Would be nice to at least get a warning when it happens.

Last but not least, thanks for all the incredible work!

Top Bottom