Better BUG AI

Queue reordering is not a feature of BUG or BULL. They display :hammers: loss, but they shouldn't do anything about it. And yes, please post saved games for the resource issue so we can take a look. I don't think jdog made this is change intentionally to BetterAI, and I've never seen or heard it reported for BUG/BULL.

I thought that standing on top of an enemy's resource with a military unit would block that resource, but I have a situation where it's not. There's also the glitch that all her cities have access to it despite being cut off from each other.

So I'm at war with Catherine, and she has a single Copper resource and no Iron. I verified that she's not getting Copper or Iron from anyone else, and anyway I blocked all her trade routes too. Easy because she only has 3 cities. So, I parked an Axeman and Warrior on the Copper, but she's continuing to produce Axemen and Spearmen in ALL of her cities, which is weird because they're not even connected with each other any more. And furthermore, to experiment, I tried pillaging the Copper mine. Bingo, suddenly there's nothing but Archers being produced by all her cities. I can provide screenshots and savegames if necessary to help diagnose.
I always thought in Civ4 you actually had to spend one unit's turn to pillage to cut off a resource, but if that's not how stock BTS works (not sure, I play my own mod too much) then that would be a bug, and I suspect it could be some faulty caching for "efficiency" from the CAR mod which jdog incorporated into Better AI. Same would go for connection between cities - if there really is a bug there too. Remember cities can be connected in a multitude of ways: roads, rivers, coast, ocean, airports, or a combination of those. A military unit standing on a road doesn't cut off a trade route afaik .. though I could be wrong there too.

I had a perma-build of Axemen going for a long time (that is, pressed Alt while choosing it). After it in the queue were a Worker and Settler. As soon as the Worker got to the point where it would start losing hammers, the Axemen suddenly moved to the bottom of the queue. When I tried hitting Ctrl while choosing Axeman again, it went to the end of the queue instead of the beginning. I couldn't get the order I wanted until I removed the Worker and Settler and did the ordering again from scratch. "Feature" or bug? :) I can see why it might be useful, to prevent hammer loss, but it caught me unawares. Would be nice to at least get a warning when it happens.
Very astounding. Unless that's a standard BTS feature I hadn't heard of yet, I have no clue where this behavior is coming from.

I always thought in Civ4 you actually had to spend one unit's turn to pillage to cut off a resource, but if that's not how stock BTS works (not sure, I play my own mod too much) then that would be a bug, and I suspect it could be some faulty caching for "efficiency" from the CAR mod which jdog incorporated into Better AI. Same would go for connection between cities - if there really is a bug there too. Remember cities can be connected in a multitude of ways: roads, rivers, coast, ocean, airports, or a combination of those. A military unit standing on a road doesn't cut off a trade route afaik .. though I could be wrong there too.

Pretty sure you need to pillage a resource to cut off access. It isn't trade route dependent or anything, so the game seems to be working fine.
Very astounding. Unless that's a standard BTS feature I hadn't heard of yet, I have no clue where this behavior is coming from.
The auto-queueing behavior with control is a standard BTS feature.

The auto-queueing behavior with control is a standard BTS feature.

Not as jray described it. Unless my brain is totally failing today, CTRL + CLICK on a build item inserts it at the front of the queue and SHIFT + CLICK adds it to the end. According to jray--without clicking any build buttons--one item in the queue magically shifted positions with another item. On top of that, CTRL + CLICK on an item was adding it to the end of the queue. Neither of these are BTS behavior AFAIK.

Just to clarify, if you hold alt while adding something to the queue (with ctrl, or shift, or neither) it will add it with a star next to the name. The star means that every time that item is built, it gets added again to the end of the queue. So if you hold alt and click an axeman, then hold shift and click a worker then a settler, I'd expect that your list would be: axeman*, worker, settler. And after the first axeman was complete, the list would then be: worker, settler, axeman*. and then settler, axeman*. and so on.

I wouldn't expect it to ever switch from building one thing to another mid-build, but there may be some special cases I don't know about where that is possible. (aside from building wonders...)

could anyone tell me how to remove the 100 turn limit?

Are you asking about the free Civ5 demo? If so, you're in luck! The full game doesn't have a turn limit. :D

Are you asking about the free Civ5 demo? If so, you're in luck! The full game doesn't have a turn limit. :D

no, I mean for this mod, sorry for not specifying.

edit: just tried a scenario.... no turn limit.... is it something in the map file? It also seems the turn limit increases/decreases as the map size does...

:lol: I assumed you meant Civ5 because its demo has a 100 turn limit. I think you're talking about the Time victory where whoever has the most points at the end wins. When starting a CUSTOM GAME, uncheck the Time Victory box. Now you can play on and on until someone wins for real. :)

:lol: I assumed you meant Civ5 because its demo has a 100 turn limit. I think you're talking about the Time victory where whoever has the most points at the end wins. When starting a CUSTOM GAME, uncheck the Time Victory box. Now you can play on and on until someone wins for real. :)

*facepalm*

I knew that! xD

Can't believe I forgot it. Thanks :D

Hey all. Long time CIV 4 player, first time poster. First: Thank you very much for this mod! I have it installed on Linux under Wine 1.3 and it works beautifully. Second: I am a fan of the Next War Mod, and I was always a fan of Terraforming going all the way back to CIV II. I was originally upset that Terraforming was removed from the game, but I took one of the early terraforming mods and further tweaked it to work with Next War.
So: I have the BUG + Better AI mod, and I have my modified Next War + Terraforming Mod... the next logical step was to bung them together... and I have! Later on tonight I will post instructions and a (small) mod-file that you can apply overtop a copied version of the BUG + Better AI mod and Next War mod.
Here's the new features:
1. Next War is integrated with BUG + Better AI.

2. New "Terraforming" technology is added after Radio in the tech tree

3. Upon getting Terraforming, you have access to 2 Terraforming units:
a. Regular land terraformers that operate similarly to Workers except that they can terraform land plots
b. "Sea" Terraformers that can sail to any water plot (including going overland to hit inland lakes) and turn it into a normal plain for use or further terraforming.

4. I made a few other minor tweaks. The Mobile SAM unit (the mechanized one, not the SAM infantry) is now able to carry 2 guided missiles or tactical Nukes, making these units more interesting and making guided missiles a lot more fun too.

5. There (hopefully) won't be any major bugs, but the merge process I did removed the new leaders that were in the Next War mod (Mr. Big,, The Lady, His Excellency, etc.). I might do more XML magic to put them back in later.

6. Once I post the mod & instructions, I will be eager to get feedback to see if there is anything else I can do. I'm not a very accomplished Modder but these seemed like some fun additions that some people might like.

OK here's the attachment saved as a 7zip file.

Install instructions:

1. Install the BUG with Better AI Mod normally, my upload is based on the version released on Sept. 26, 2010.

2. Go into your mods directories. COPY the "Better BUG AI" directory to a new directory named "BB_NW_Terra" --> This way in case my instructions are fubarred you don't lose anything ;)

3. Now, copy the "Next War" mod directory over-top the "BB_NW_Terra" directory. IMPORTANT: If using Windows explorer, make sure to say NO to overwriting any files during the copy! We only want Next War files that do not exist in the BB mod. Linux users: "cp -ai" and say "n" to all prompted overwrites.

4. Finally: Place the the BB_NW_Terra.7z file INSIDE the "BB_NW_Terra" mod directory, and extract. UNLIKE step 3, you SHOULD allow all the files to overwrite in this step. This archive includes all of the files that I had to modify in order to merge Next War with the Bug and Better AI mod. (actually it includes a lot more since I put in the full Assets/XML directory and Assets/Python directory)

5. Run BTS and load the BB_NW_Terra mod!

More Notes:

1. Terraformers: You will need to research Terraforming (after Radio) first. Due to a weird bug, the only way I could make Terraformers get rid of (normally impassable) peaks was to have them build roads, so if you want to eliminate a peak, simply put a Terraformer on the peak and build a road there.

2. Normal land Terraformers operate much like workers, and ganging up a bunch of them speeds up the build process. There are 2 exceptions: 1. Forming a peak or 2. turning land into water are INSTANTANEOUS events... but there is a price: the Terraformer is consumed in the process.

3. If you want to flatten a hill, put the Terraformer on the hill in question and click the icon that looks like a hill.... a little counterintuitive, but think of it as a hill on/off toggle.

4. Sea Terraformers: These guys are weird. They can travel over land or water (in order to reach inland lakes). They only have one function: when activated, the See Terraformer turns water into land instantaneously, and is also consumed in the process. The land is always a normal plain, but if this bores you, just have a bunch of Terraformers handy to get to work. One caveat: I'm pretty sure that Sea Terraformers can only add land to existing land masses, so you can't just start an island in the middle of nowhere. However... you could build out from an existing land mass, then use land Terraformers to cut your new land off from the old land mass to produce the same effect.

5. Try playing as the Holy Roman Empire.......

Hope this works and is interesting to you guys! Lemme know if you have feedback.

Attachments

• BB_NW_Terra.7z
    1.3 MB · Views: 58
Can you apply BBAI over the latest BAT 3.0 ? Slightly confused if I can give this a go.

Better BUG AI uses some slightly different build options that I'm pretty sure make it incompatible with BAT unless you remove the assets for those extra features. To see what they are, grab BULL and look in the Optional folder. There are files in there where some are replacements and some are modifications, but note that they are deltas to the vanilla game. If BAT has made other changes, it might be tough to work out.

I'll let Lemon elaborate as she may have looked into it already.

Can you apply BBAI over the latest BAT 3.0 ? Slightly confused if I can give this a go.

Better BUG AI uses some slightly different build options that I'm pretty sure make it incompatible with BAT unless you remove the assets for those extra features. To see what they are, grab BULL and look in the Optional folder. There are files in there where some are replacements and some are modifications, but note that they are deltas to the vanilla game. If BAT has made other changes, it might be tough to work out.

I'll let Lemon elaborate as she may have looked into it already.
I'm not sure that it can be done easily. BAT 3.0 is a bit of a departure from previous versions in that its' dll is more unique because of some added mods. If BetterBUGAI's python, or XML has changed any of that, it will need to be merged.

I'm looking into making this possible. :)

Is the source code of your unique dll uploaded somewhere? Merging this BAT into Better BUG AI is probably easier than the other way round.
I don't touch python, and the xml differences are minimal.

Unless I'm forgetting something, Better BUG AI already has the special BAT stuff. ;) The female great people changes work fine without the extra XML. There may be no actual SDK merging to do.

Is the source code of your unique dll uploaded somewhere? Merging this BAT into Better BUG AI is probably easier than the other way round.
I don't touch python, and the xml differences are minimal.
EF has the master copy. I uploaded my changes to him.

Unless I'm forgetting something, Better BUG AI already has the special BAT stuff. ;) The female great people changes work fine without the extra XML. There may be no actual SDK merging to do.
In that case, all I will have to do is to try Fuyu's dll in my current copy of BAT 3 and see how it goes. This might be tres easy, after all! :D

Keep in mind that I enable all of the optional components when building the DLL for BAT. If Fuyu does the same for Better BUG AI, you're done! :)

Top Bottom