Better City Specialization

Better City Specialization 1.5

That has already been implemented ;)

Nice.

I am an avid fan of your mods I think omnibus is a grand idea BUT (there is always a but right?) please retain the modularity as well. It grants flexibility.

Oddly enough my next suggestion flies directly counter to my previous advice.

Have you seen https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/quos-pre-patch-tile-yield-and-building-cost-adjuster.603053/ ?

I'd advocate a similar approach to tiles if not an outright incorporation / collaboration with this mod.

Thanks for being awesome.

@Buni0ns I'll do my best to retain modularity :)

For everyone: I've been playing quite a few games with this mod, and have a few questions for you all.
  • Are district adjacency bonuses now overpowered? For example, does the Factory provide too much production when the district is placed well?
  • Do you find yourself using the policies which increase district adjacency bonuses by 100% in every game, almost regardless of situation?
  • Do you find yourself building a greater diversity of districts as compared to vanilla?
Since creating the Buffed Resources mod component I've been considering ways to address some of the shortcomings (as I see them) with this mod by essentially combining the two. I fear that the adjacency bonuses are now running the show, as it were. Perhaps all that is needed is a revamp of those policy cards. Not sure yet. Comments, suggestions?

Power creep and the AI being unable to use these advantages are certainly 2 major concerns for these mods. I haven't tested enough to comment yet but will be having a look.

• Are district adjacency bonuses now overpowered?
The biggest problem with this is that AI will be at a disadvantage since it does not place districts well.
  • Do you find yourself building a greater diversity of districts as compared to vanilla?
To force player to build different districts you can do this:
Code:
UPDATE Districts SET CostProgressionModel = 'COST_PROGRESSION_PREVIOUS_COPIES' WHERE CostProgressionModel='COST_PROGRESSION_NUM_UNDER_AVG_PLUS_TECH';
[/user][/user]

The biggest problem with this is that AI will be at a disadvantage since it does not place districts well.

To force player to build different districts you can do this:
Code:
UPDATE Districts SET CostProgressionModel = 'COST_PROGRESSION_PREVIOUS_COPIES' WHERE CostProgressionModel='COST_PROGRESSION_NUM_UNDER_AVG_PLUS_TECH';
[/user][/user]

Does that just increase the production cost to build another district of the same sort??

I'm trying to run this mod to get a feel for it, and it doesn't appear to load at all. I'm getting this from the Database.log:

Code:
[2556076.399] [Gameplay] ERROR: Database::XMLSerializer (TCS_Specialized_Cities.xml): Cannot parse file.

And this in the Modding.log:

Code:
[2556076.399] Status: UpdateDatabase - Loading TCS_Specialized_Cities.xml
[2556076.399] Warning: UpdateDatabase - Error Loading XML.

This appears even when running with no other mods (other than Aztec DLC). I'm not certain why this is, as I didn't change the XML file and I looked at it and it appeared fine, but this is the only mod I'm having an issue with, so maybe someone more experienced and familiar with the file can tell me what's going on?

@Magil Ugh...there must be an xml error in the file (like a stray <Update> with no mate). I'll take a look at it sometime tonight or tomorrow. I'm very surprised no one else found this error before this as it is the sort of thing which prevents the mod from loading entirely. Sorry about that.

@Magil Ugh...there must be an xml error in the file (like a stray <Update> with no mate). I'll take a look at it sometime tonight or tomorrow. I'm very surprised no one else found this error before this as it is the sort of thing which prevents the mod from loading entirely. Sorry about that.

With that in mind, I looked and found a stray </Update> on line 87. Removing that allows it to run. Hopefully that saves you some work.

With that in mind, I looked and found a stray </Update> on line 87. Removing that allows it to run. Hopefully that saves you some work.
That saves me some very frustrating staring at the screen...thanks so much! I'll update the mod as soon as I get a chance...still doing Thanksgiving stuff now.

thecrazyscot updated Better City Specialization with a new update entry:

Update 1.5

-Fixed major bug preventing mod from loading
-Grant free Cistern when starting in Industrial or later eras
-Halved the effects of the following policies which buffed district adjacency bonuses for the Campus, Commercial Hub, Industrial District, and Theater
Aesthetics, Craftsmen, Economic Union, Five Year Plan, Natural Philosophy, Sports Media, Town Charters​
-Reduced Power Plant production to 3 (was 4)

Read the rest of this update entry...

Here's some comments: I finished a game with the mod, and largely I like it. I do have a few concerns, however:
  • Workshops feel really weak, especially compared to the Water Mill, a cheaper, earlier building that gives +2 Production as well as Food and Housing. Granted it has the river requirement and Workshop gives a Great Engineer point, but it still feels off to me. Maybe the Workshop should be improved a bit? Maybe it could interact with Lumbermills or something? I dunno, it has that graphic of wood planks.
  • Museums doubling theming bonuses seems kinda weak considering how hard it can be to get a decent adjacency bonus on the Theater Square. Maybe you could re-examine either the building or the adjacency bonuses for the Theater Square?
  • Germany's pretty crazy with this mod. Not really a concern, just a comment. That extra district matters more, and the Hansa adjacency is much more relevant in this mod than it is in the base game.
It's pretty interesting, certainly makes most district adjacencies feel more relevant. I do think I like it better than the base game's approach, and the adjusting of the district adjacency policies feels right.

I just discovered this mod, way too late.
Does it still work correctly despite not bring updated since last patches?
Just launched a game, seems to work at first sight.
In the tool tips the workshop( and factories) have regional effects, but I can't see it here. How is it?

Thanks a lot for bringing back the percentage bonus and making the adjency matters!

Top Bottom