Beyond Earth Factions

I have to admit Martin, you convinced me that Austronesia would be much cooler name than Polystralia :D

What if the Great Mistake didn't cause ocean levels to rise globally?

What if it just happened in some places, and in others it actually went down.

Some current countries could have become bigger and some others vanished all together.

Uhm... You sure you know how oceans work? :D

I suppose it could happen if there were a moon-sized object in geostationary orbit.

So yeah, no, not going to happen.

Let's hope so. Polyastria is unbelievably horrible.

But sure, Polystralia could be just a placeholder, Brazilia as well.

I have to admit Martin, you convinced me that Austronesia would be much cooler name than Polystralia :D

lets remember the game is still in pre-alpha and Polystralia was only mentioned in one article (one from Norway and not shown off like the Slavic Federation) so it could be a place holder name, it could be a translation thing from English to Norwegian back to English, or as the game is pre-alpha and simply the name could change between now and release.

In the end I'm just happy that we finally have an Australian Civ (so it seams or at least in some capacity) and frankly I don't care what it is called.

Thanks. And I agree, it's not the biggest issue in the world. But we know the devs do come on these forums, and on the off chance it is a placehoder and they might consider changing it there's no harm in setting out a good case.

What if the Great Mistake didn't cause ocean levels to rise globally?

What if it just happened in some places, and in others it actually went down.

Some current countries could have become bigger and some others vanished all together.

It's like a bathtub. You take water out, the level lowers everywhere. Put water in and it rises everywhere. :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Everyone said the same thing about Venice being horrible, but everyone ended up loving it.

Everyone said the same thing about Venice being horrible, but everyone ended up loving it.

What were complaints against Venice?

The difference here is people are complaining about the name sounding dumb. That's not really the same thing complaining about Venice, the Huns or any other controversial civilization that people argued against based on their idea of worthiness or abilities or whatever.

I do kind of hope that Bolivar is female and looks a bit like Col. Santiago. I'd like at least one of the warmongers to be female, but a female Russian martinet is a bit too cliche for my taste. :D

It'd be awesome! But rather unlikely to happen :(
Three of four leaders already known are female. So, probably there's just another one female leader to be revealed :sad:

It'd be awesome! But rather unlikely to happen :(
Three of four leaders already known are female. So, probably there's just another one female leader to be revealed :sad:

Which is probably Élodie, unless we have 5/8 female leaders.

The difference here is people are complaining about the name sounding dumb. That's not really the same thing complaining about Venice, the Huns or any other controversial civilization that people argued against based on their idea of worthiness or abilities or whatever.

Very much this. I am absolutely delighted that there's going to be an Australian/Pacific faction in the game. It's an under-represented part of the world that I'm personally connected with, out of the 8 fractions it's probably the one I'm the most happy to see. That's probably why I'm so disappointed to see that it's got a stupid name, I want it to be done well.

Even if Australia was included as, I don't know, 'The Kingdom of Eureka' or 'The Pacific Commonwealth' or 'Abbottania' or anything like that, at least it might show that Firaxis had put some thought into it rather than just mashing together two names from the same region.

I guess I should be thankful that the Pan-Asian Cooperative isn't called Chinasia, or the Slavic Federation is called Russoslavia. It's just lazy.

While you're probably right, Élodie is in this case being used as a surname, so it's not 100% sure that the leader is female.

Is that because Daoming and Kavitha are surnames, not given names (thus all names in the achievement list are surnames)? Judging by wikipedia I was sure Élodie was a given name.

Is that because Daoming and Kavitha are surnames, not given names (thus all names in the achievement list are surnames)? Judging by wikipedia I was sure Élodie was a given name.
Élodie is a given name, but surnames are often based on given names. However, you're correct in pointing out that the naming in the XML seems to be inconsistent with regard to given name or surname, so I'll withdraw my assertion.

What were complaints against Venice?

And, to answer this question, people mostly complained about how Venice was too small and the Merchant of Venice was similar to the Austrian unique ability. I forget if there was anything else. Maybe overlap complaints.

Elodie is a not uncommon female first name in France, but it doesn't exist as a last name. As a general rule, only male first names are also used as last names in French speaking areas.

Same goes for English surnames I guess. You may find a lot of, say, Mary James... but James Mary are probably quite, quite, rare.

Unless it's a very weirdly chosen placeholder name, I'd bet that the French speaking leader is female.

I think most of the complaining about Venice was at the point when it was still speculation. Once the mechanic was announced, I thought the response was generally positive (aside from the obligatory smattering of "that sucks I'm not buying that game" that accompanies every bit of information that's released).

However, you're correct in pointing out that the naming in the XML seems to be inconsistent with regard to given name or surname, so I'll withdraw my assertion.

I thought that at first, as the XML lists Barre and Fielding (Samatar's and Suzanne's familiy names) and Daoming and Kavitha (Sochua's and Thakur's first names). But it's possible that Daoming and Kavitha are actually family names as well (Asian rules, it seems to be like that in Chinese).

I guess we'll have to wait to be sure ;)

The names are a bit all over the place, to be honest. Samatar is a last name being used as first, and the inverse is presumably true for Élodie. Kavitha's fine for a first name, but Daoming is a last name (like Samatar, incorrectly used). I understand that family names go first in certain Far Eastern languages such as Chinese and Japanese, but it's common form to stick to the syntax of the linguistical context. In this case, English.

I'm hoping the devs will revise things like this before release. This might sound harsh, but it stinks of sloppy research.

Top Bottom