Beyond the Sword Interview on Strategy Informer

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
StrategyInformer, one of our affiliate sites, has posted an interview with Alex Mantzaris, lead designer of Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword. The interview consists of 15 questions and covers topics such as random events, graphical updates, new Wonder, new leader, return of privateers and paratroopers, scenarios, moddability improvements, AI improvements, and demos.

Here is a list of new info from the interview:
  • The title “Beyond the Sword” suggests that the expansion gives more depth to the second half of the game, and also implies players will have more options when it comes to building up their empire through peaceful means.
  • There are large numbers of random events in Beyond the Sword. They don’t all occur in every game, so each game feels unique. Some events simply ask the player how to deal with a situation that has arisen, but other events are quite intricate, sending the player on quests in order to receive some reward, for example.
  • The graphics will be more polished and the look of the game has been completely transformed for some of the scenarios.
  • Space race now allows you to customize your 3D spaceship before you send it off to Alpha Centauri.
  • Apostolic Palace, a new Wonder, allows you to leverage your diplomatic standing to manipulate the world like never before. Build it and civilizations sharing your religion can vote on resolutions you put forth, like stopping and starting wars, enforcing trade embargos, or even assigning cities to their "rightful" owner.
  • Queen Boudica (Traits: charismatic and aggressive) of the Celts is one of the new leaders.
  • Privateers and Paratroopers have returned, and the AI knows how to use them.
  • The scenarios are not part of single-player campaigns and have very high replay value. They range from fantasy to hardcore WWII simulations and range in time from the Renaissance to centuries into the future. Some are played on random maps, while others are played on historical maps.
  • In multiplayer front, it's now possible to select any leader-civilization combination. This new option likely will give Civs and leaders that were previously unpopular in multiplayer new attention. The traditional sequential turn play mode has been improved so all players on the same team take their turns simultaneously.
  • More game mechanics have been exposed to XML and Python, making it possible to do things that you couldn’t previously do with just Civ4. You can now completely alter the look of the interface, and have civilization-specific graphics for the same unit.
  • The AI has been improved and no longer needs hefty bonuses to compete with a smart human.
  • Firaxis will release demos showcasing two of the scenarios.
  • The expansion has been in development since the release of Warlords last summer.
It's a good read! The only bad part is no new screenshots. Thanks to Ori and Jamie for the news tip.

>> Related forum thread

EDIT (5/8): StrategyInformer has taken down the interview and said it will be back on June 16th. Apparently they published it too early...

Thorn said:
It's going to be a long two months :mischief:

:lol: I'm thinking the same thing. That's surely a sign of addiction.

I'll hold any further peanut gallery comments and just pre-order it.
This new info puts lots of mod ideas in my head, like Space Race requires a viable Alpha Centauri colony

Two months is nothing, I will have to wait until I go back home in October to get it. Anyone else in Brazil wanting a copy should let me know.

I like the idea of the random events...if they are along the lines of RT2, then that is great.

The AI part looks encouraging. Let's hope it delivers. If these changes can lead to less anti-human bias, it would be a good thing too (for instance: demands of tribute and/or help between AIs would help straighten the anti-human diplomatic bias).

I don't know how it will turn out, but, from what is written here, the Apostolic Palace seems too powerful. It sounds like a game breaker. The person who builds the wonder seems to wield too much power. If it is that powerful, every player should be able to use the new abilities. Maybe it could be turned into a national wonder...

An example of random events would have been nice.

Privateers: Oh Yeah!!!!
Still, I hope it will be possible to "upgrade them" or at least convert them back to regular vessels, once their use has gone out (it would be a shame to lose a highly promoted unit because it's impossible to upgrade it). There were still pirates in the 19th century... Heck, there are still a few pirates here and there nowadays. Therefore, there should be at least two types of privateers: one for the early Renaissance period (Can kill Galleys and Caravels) and one for the Industrial period (more powerful in order to compete with Galleys and Frigate, it could last until Steel ships comes in). One for the ancient times would be nice too. The seas were never really safe after all...

There are large numbers of random events in Beyond the Sword. They don’t all occur in every game, so each game feels unique. Some events simply ask the player how to deal with a situation that has arisen, but other events are quite intricate, sending the player on quests in order to receive some reward, for example.

Quests? Can't say I think much of this...

Space race now allows you to customize your 3D spaceship before you send it off to Alpha Centauri.

Great! I love pointless add-ons; they make the game feel complete. :goodjob:

Apostolic Palace, a new Wonder, allows you to leverage your diplomatic standing to manipulate the world like never before. Build it and civilizations sharing your religion can vote on resolutions you put forth, like stopping and starting wars, enforcing trade embargos, or even assigning cities to their "rightful" owner.

I agree with UnspokenRequest: this looks like it could be a game-breaker if implemented incorrectly. Good thing I still have faith in Firaxis!

Queen Boudica (Traits: charismatic and aggressive) of the Celts is one of the new leaders.

If it means more of that great Celtic diplo music then I'm all for it.

In multiplayer front, it's now possible to select any leader-civilization combination. This new option likely will give Civs and leaders that were previously unpopular in multiplayer new attention. The traditional sequential turn play mode has been improved so all players on the same team take their turns simultaneously.

Now I'm not an MP player, so I wouldn't know, but won't this lead to the advent of 'one best combo' that everyone is playing? If every player in the game is using Praetorians, then why bother with strategy?

The AI has been improved and no longer needs hefty bonuses to compete with a smart human.

Thought it was smart enough already... *sulk* ;)

It still doesn't answer the question: Is this mod dependent or independent of Warlords?

I'd love all the new exposure to XML and Python that Beyond The Sword promises to provide, but I'd like to keep them with the Warlord units and Vassalage, etc.

If this was an addition to Warlords, that would be the greatest thing of all :)

Privateers and Paratroopers have returned, and the AI knows how to use them.

QUOTE]

Uh oh, it's going to be a tough time to defend those coastline resources! :crazyeye:

If these new things are properly balanced and implemented, this is very encouraging news.

My guess is that the random events will be a lot like those in GalCiv2---spontaneous rebellions and minor civs forming, temporary modifiers (international economic boom, plagues), as well as regional natural disasters--mountains becoming volcanoes, hurricanes, and even a dreaded meteor or two.

I'm thinking a Privateer / Mercenary is easily a kind of a civic, at least a military civic if there is one. So naturally it could be upgraded throughout time. The coolest aspect is this allows the Civ3C assassin / Ronin-- no civ identity units.
Also think the pirates of 19th C. died brutally as criminals, without any state sponsors. :crazyeye:

I'm doubting the Apostolic wonder could be a game breaker, but kind of a way to avoid playing another 1000 years of dominating just to get the last percentage point. I'd see it more as a reward for over-the-top diplomacy, and skillful Classical era play. Normally its hard just to acquire a 1/3 of the civs powerblock of the same religion, given the three early religions. Though if it is easy to abuse by founding all the early religions, it's just as easy to push back a religion or two in the tech tree to avoid a combo religion-Apostolic wonder rush.

An example of random events would have been nice.

Privateers: Oh Yeah!!!!
Still, I hope it will be possible to "upgrade them" or at least convert them back to regular vessels, once their use has gone out (it would be a shame to lose a highly promoted unit because it's impossible to upgrade it). There were still pirates in the 19th century... Heck, there are still a few pirates here and there nowadays. Therefore, there should be at least two types of privateers: one for the early Renaissance period (Can kill Galleys and Caravels) and one for the Industrial period (more powerful in order to compete with Galleys and Frigate, it could last until Steel ships comes in). One for the ancient times would be nice too. The seas were never really safe after all...

I'm with GIR, that part was the best news for me, EDUs rock!

Still this looks to be really good stuff, and perhaps this will finally lead to me finishing games....

[*]More game mechanics have been exposed to XML and Python, making it possible to do things that you couldn’t previously do with just Civ4. You can now completely alter the look of the interface, and have civilization-specific graphics for the same unit.
>> Related forum thread

You know what this means...slower, more python checks.

Kael needs to get his speed mod to work with this when it comes out.

The return of the Privateers is a bonus... hopefully, they will be more useful this time around.

As far a the spaceship being customizable, I wonder exactly what they mean.

While others may sculk (sp?), I am actually perking my ears at the random events (quests) addition. Definately interested in how this will play out.

YAY!! This looks awesome. I hope they do this right, quests and random events sounds cool, apostolic palace sounds incredibly fun and better AI. Best civ expansion so far if they do it well. Definitely a buy for me.

It all sounds good, but what really struck me was that Boudicea is Charismatic and Aggressive. Interesting, since that has long been held up as the most powerful of the "Forbidden Trait Combos."

I hope the scenarios will be better this time round, because the warlords ones made me cry. (Other than Chinese Uni)

About the Apolistic palace I wonder if Rhye has helped with that? (There is a congress system in RFC.)

The return of the Privateers is a bonus... hopefully, they will be more useful this time around.

The privateers will be more usefull, even if they are implemented the same way as in CIV3. Now you'll have to protect your coastal resources carefully, if not your opponents can pillage them without declaring war.

I hope they finally fix the MAF, that's all i concern about..no MAF fix, would definatly kill the game since the more xml tags added, the faster you run into a MAF

Top Bottom