[Beyond the Sword] Necro Cristi

I started another game on a Great Plains map. With this one, it also crashes to desktop. I have attached a save file for review. Good luck!

Attachments

• Keisha AD-1645.CivBeyondSwordSave
    262.7 KB · Views: 92
I tested out your save file on my rig, and it played just fine. I get some random CTDs when I exit to the main menu, but other than that I played a good 12 turns w/o issue.

I loaded an all-new Civ 4/BTS 3.13 on a different PC (Vista SP1 this time) and it still crashes when I end the turn. What version of Necro Christi are you using? I downloaded the latest File Front March 18 version. I be :confused:

Just to add to the general confusion, I tried starting up the saved game and got a CTD before it had even loaded! This has really thrown me, as to be honest I'm not sure how to proceed given that I can't even open up the save file to poke around in worldbuilder.

Sorry to be so defeatist but I can't help on this one.

As far as I can tell, it's the latest 0.14 version. I'm also using BTS 3.13 and the 3.13 unofficial patch (available on this site). I have the fortune of still having XP, so no Vista issues. It seems odd that you'd get the same problem twice.

On a side note, that unofficial patch might make a difference. If my memory serves me correctly, it's merely a .DLL file that replaces the official Firaxis one. You just backup the original, and replace it with the new. That way, if you have problems with it, you can just restore the old one. Not sure whether Colin is using the unofficial patch or not.

I've experienced a couple of end of turn CTDs in the past, but haven't seen one in awhile. I'm definitely able to play your save w/o crashing though. I have a theory that it might have something to do with the events dialogue at the top lagging (i.e. enemy spotted near x town), which sometimes happens when you get a bunch of undead/barbarians in your territory.

This is an excellent mod! I love how much thought you've put into it. Some suggestions i have:

1. Since its gonna take a while to comprehensively script a zombie infection, it'd be cool to have some zombie infested cities. You could do this by having a zombie civilization with only zombie units available to them, and making it at constant war with other civs. This may or may not help, but using BarbarianCiv from Revolution mod might achieve the desired effect.

2. Make more than 1 kind of zombie unit. like other said before you could use the drown, also the Scaverous from FFH2. Also, it would be cool if you could make zombies pick up guns eventually Halo style. Or maybe zombie grenadiers.

3. Make survivors weaker than zombie units. They are a little weaker already, but for civilizations that are supposedly "in terror" of the zombies, the weakest units are pretty capable of taking them out. This would also force players to either research some military or create alot of survivors.

4. See if you can borrow the religious skinned cities from FfH. It would add some cool flavor to the game, and also demark the zombie cities if u decided to make them.

Culture is very confusing currently. It took me a long time before I researched beacons, yet some of my cities' borders would spread without having culture generated. I agree with the other posters idea of having a "broken radio" +1 :culture: early in the game that later becomes obsolete.

Either you just didn't get around to it, or i downloaded it wrong, but there are no effects for some of the civics, especially the dealing with undead ones. If you just need something to put there in the meantime, i have some suggestions:
Information Gathering: +:science:, maybe access to a national recon unit like the airship.
Destruction: +unit experience.
Worship: + :) w/ religion, + :yuck:
Enslavement: + :hammers: from improvements (mines, farms, plantations), + :yuck:
Co-Existence: Can't enable peace with zombies w/o working on the python, so I'd just suggest + :gp:, + cottage growth, + city growth, + :yuck:
The idea of all the yucks is that living with walking corpses everywhere is gonna spread disease. could be useful for later infection models.

Hows this mod coming I haven't checked it in a long time?

Thanks for all the comments, and just to say that while development is slow at the moment, all suggestions are noted and will go towards making the next release (whenever that may be) a more balanced and fun experience.

I saw the revolutions mod was named in this thread.

Some suggestions:
If you have modding skills it would be really great if you could borrow that "revolution" part, where there's a "stability" and cities with low stability may revolt and units in the city become independant.
I see this as the best solution for zombie infection: replace unstability with infection and let different factors affect it: i.e. number of troops and a hospital increase "health status" while number of population, distance to capital and different factors like some buildings increase infection (laboratories for example, they give you 25% boost to science but increase chances of infection, you don't know what are your scientists doing under the city).
And when "infection" rises high enough, the city will revolt, joining zombie nation, and some units will be removed from city, other will recieve "zombified" promotion. I think any kind of unit can recieve it (well maybe not air units), and while undead cannot pilot planes the stories about ships full of undead/zombie armymen are common. Imagine the attack of zombified ship this way: they do not shoot from cannons, but attacked ship sees a lonely vessel with no crew and comes aboard. And then they begin to die, one by one. Like in those old good films => damage to enemy.
The same can be done with other units. Just don't do zombified helicopters =). It's too hard for me to think the situation where it could be possible.
And zombified promotion is something like "+10% heal in neutral/hostile land" and some neat bonus, not overpowered though. It's mainly to mark the unit as zombie, and you don't need to boost it much more, because it still has its base strength (while army zombies don't shoot or ride tanks, here we imagine that the lack of skill/equipment is balanced by increased superhumanly abilities and "horror-film" dramatic plots in each fight).
Also there should be a function which heals zombie unit when it defeats an opponent (not fully). Check the bone golems from FFH.
And there can be a chance that defeated unit will regain some health and instead of being killed will switch sides to zombie nation.
And after each fight the unit which fought zombie unit could recieve an "infected" promotion (-5%/10% health regen, is removed when the unit is fully healed), if that unit dies it turns to zombie side.
This adds a lot of competition, so you won't need to make zombie units overpowered in strength - they will be cool in the way they act.

Also I think it would be not too bad idea to give zombie leader a "brainlust" trait (or think of some better name), which will increase points needed to promote the unit (anti-charismatic) but give the units "combatI" promotion. This will indicate that zombies are fierce and dumb.

How reliable and stable is this mod? I'd love to try it out but I'm running into bad CTD problems with the mod I'm currently playing... and after 474 turns that's utterly heartbreaking. I don't know if I could handle getting my heart broken like that again.

How reliable and stable is this mod? I'd love to try it out but I'm running into bad CTD problems with the mod I'm currently playing... and after 474 turns that's utterly heartbreaking. I don't know if I could handle getting my heart broken like that again.

Reasonably. So far the only recurring issue is a crash on water based maps - play on highlands or great plains to avoid this. However it should be noted that the mod is still in an early stage of development and while you will (hopefully) be able to ooh and aah at the new technologies, units, etc. by turn 474 the lack of balancing and playtesting will have become apparant. So approach with an eye on getting a feel for what I'm hoping to achieve rather than playing a finished product, and leave some feedback if possible - I am on sabbatical at the moment but still keep in touch with the forums.

it crashed on me around turn 350 or so.

Its starting to look good however I feel zombies need to play a more important part of the game. zombie infections and perhaps if possible to get them to make their own cities quickly infect others and allow them to turn defeated troops into fresh undead. if possible to give undead a powerful cultural slider so undeads culture can work as infection and if it reaches your cities it can cause undead uprisings.

Very interesting. I've been playing on a "Big and Small" map and I haven't had any crashing problems.

I can't wait to see this mod all fleshed out.l

I am also working on a post-apocalyptic desert mod. Please see the thread in my sig. Our two projects are completely unrelated from the code standpoint. But, astonishingly, I am also having a CTD problem on water maps. Actually whenever the AI has a city near the water. It is really p**sing me off. See my thread here.

My concept is to focus more on the "limited ammo and fuel" theme rather than zombies; so there is not much overlap except a little in the setting. I have been able to work out map scripting, so I can generate maps which are mostly desert and have ruins. If I can work out the CTD problem, I'll upload my version 0.2 and you are welcome to use the script. (It does require a ruins "feature" rather than an "improvement" but that is in my XML.)

cfkane - in the current version the zombie is the reskinned warrior by C. Roland. While this is an excellent model I hope in the future to have a greater diversity of undead and zombies with a more 'modern' look.

davidlallen - I would be very interested to hear anything if you manage to isolate your water map problem as I have run into a dead end and will grasp at any straw at this point. I think you are right that beyond thematic influences (and really, I wouldn't trust any mod that wasn't influenced by Mad Max in some way) we are probably aiming for different gameplay styles, while I certainly plan to simulate limited resources somehow in the early game it is not really a part of the core gameplay in my mod. I will happily pinch any map script you have that gives dusty hellhole style maps btw ;)

Top Bottom