Bindy's Road to EQM -- Round 3

Bindamel

Call me Bindy - mel
Welcome back!

As I mentioned in this thread, I have devised a plan to achieve all the requirements for four of the six legs of the Elite Quattromaster Challenge.

I will try to post a thread around every two weeks with the game conditions, and then some highlights of my game, and encourage others to do the same. I also open the floor to discussions of strategy, as the regular HoF'ers never cease to amaze me with their insight into the game.

Round 3: U.N., built by the Americans, sort of!

Back to Vanilla/Warlords for round 3, with a diplomatic victory (U.N.). Who better to lead the U.N. than an American?

"Required" Settings:
Expansion: Vanilla/Warlords
Era: Ancient
Civilization: Aztec
Victory Condition: Diplomatic (U.N.)
Game Speed: Quick
Map: Inland Sea (Note: Only Flat Inland Sea maps are eligible for submission.)

I'm still playing at Monarch, even if the Khmer Rainforest made me seriously consider stepping down to Prince, and I'm happy to say that we've seen submissions in the first two rounds ranging from Noble to Immortal!

I'm pressing on, even though the EQM requirements seem to be more unknown each round. I am definitely staying with a standard map.

Here again are the opponent requirements for various map sizes.
Code:
Mapsize    Minimum     Maximum   
  Tiny         2          4  
 Small         4          7  
Standard       6         10  
 Large         8         14    
  Huge        10         17
Remember, Duel Maps are definitely ineligible for the Elite Quattromaster Challenge.

Checking the HoF, I only found one Monty Diplo win, on a Great Plains map, so it's not a popular combination. I can't imagine why, he seems just perfect for it! :D

Monty is Spiritual, which is always nice, and Aggressive, which can be useful, but may not be as much so given the victory condition. His UU is a gimp, resourceless swordsman, great at defending in the jungle! For warlords players, his UB is a sacrificial altar (courthouse), which reduces whip anger duration.

If you're interested, the current best dates for a standard map are:
Code:
Deity      WastinTime        1190 A.D.
Immortal   CliftonBazaar     1904 A.D. (Modern Start)
Emperor    Contraflexure     1670 A.D.
Monarch    CliftonBazaar     1904 A.D. (Modern Start)
Prince     Denze, Pious_Pete 1710 A.D.
Noble      Infantry#14       1810 A.D.
Warlord    sanabas           1595 A.D.
Chieftain  LangeGeschichte   1435 A.D.
Settler    archphoenix       1130 A.D

All hail Supreme Leader of the U.N. Monty!

Results:
Our two big winners:

ozbenno won in 1650 A.D. on Immortal
Conquistador 63 won in 1475 A.D. on Emperor

And two latecomers:
shuyhe won in 1475 A.D. on Immortal
Bindamel won in 1830 A.D. on Monarch

Two were played in BTS, so we'll give them an honorable mention:

Thrallia won in 1854 A.D. on Monarch
bestje won in 1870 A.D. on Prince

I'm definitely going after the immortal date. 1904 shouldn't be hard to beat on vanilla/warlords. Thanks for putting this together Bindy!

i think i will give this a go at monarch, though those could be famous last words diplo victory is one of the ones i'm reasonable at

ah, my favorite victory type :)

I'll attempt to find time to do this one at least, I'll go at monarch, and likely on BtS again.

I submitted my first ever UN win today, although it was in BtS with Pericles. So I am an expert at this victory condition now ;)

I'll definitely give this a go, although I have a win as Monty already (GMinor18, Oasis domintion on noble, Aztec was required - my first gauntlet game! 11th/12 with a 1970AD finish). I also need the Inland Sea map.

My Pericles UN win was my first win at Emperor in BtS, since ths is warlords (for me, I haven't got my vanilla disc) I may drop down to Monarch perhaps, since the AIs REX very fast in warlords.

I quite like the jaguar (in warlords anyway, it was terrible in vanilla), just place your 2nd city right next to an AI capital and build barracks there while teching Iron Working, then spam jags.

The UB is one of the best I think.

My Pericels diplo win was a bit domination-lite, although Washington and Wang both voted for me at +10 and in BtS you can't vote yourself the winner neither. Wang only voted for me because I sudddenly decided to become Buddhist after building the UN (I only had about 2 Buddhist cities). That and 2 shared wars with Tokugawa was enough to get the vote. Even my rival was pleased with me at +5.

well, as I'm aiming for Monarch EQM, and the only civ I have at monarch EQM is Egypt, I'm ready to go for any civ :p

I'll take a run at the Noble date. Undecided on a civ, I have lots of options. Monty sounds interesting but I haven't had a lot of luck with him. Inland Sea map was going to be my choice as well. Off we go!

We need more World leaders with skulls as part of their headgear. I'd vote him in for diplomatic victory.

After having missed the 1st 2 challenges, I'm definitely giving this one a try. I'm thinking of going Emperor as I'll be able to use it for regular Vanilla/WL QM. Aztec is also missing in my list. Btw in a game I just finished Monty was one of my rivals and guess what he was elected UN SecGen (which I had built) for a couple centuries! Go figure. :crazyeye:

i think i may have overestimated how hard it is to level up and have a faster game speed at the same time... so back to prince for me, maybe next time

is it usual at monarch for the AI to be friendly with you with no -ve modifiers and yet still vote for the other civ? who they have a pile of -ves with and are only pleased towards or am I having a bad day?

in my first attempt i had spent ages building up a nice jewish bloc who liked me and making everyone hate the french. then he goes and starts a war, gets dogpiled and becomes a vassal, then when i build the UN i'm up against someone who other people like and i can't even get elected secreatary general

i miss being able to use monty to ensure that everyone hates the same person as well, am tempted to turn this game into an RPC, attack everyone and just vassalise the votes i need

You need at least +8 (there are hidden modifiers to this you can't see as well) with a civ to vote for you, and they must like you more than the other guy. Vassals always vote for their masters, unless one builds the UN.

This link might help a bit too...

http://www.civfanatics.com/civ4/strategy/diplo_victory_notes.php

I'm going to just go for a diplomination I think. Maybe I'll get 1 or 2 other civs to vote for me...

No one likes Ganhi most of the time as well...

I'll go random opponents as always though.

When I tried a deity cultural (way out of my league), I went with peacemongers club, Hatty, Fred, Asoka (not Gandhi, wonderspammer), Mansa (essential for good tech speed), Cyrus and Roosevelt.

Might be good to go 5 peaceniks and 1 warmonger though, hope/help the warmonger gets a large pop to be 2nd (or gift him the UN city, lol), but with vassals on that could be a nightmare.

my first attempt was 1845AD on Monarch...I may try again, as that was a horrible attempt.

It was entirely diplomatic though, I only had 15% of the votes I needed to win! I got Frederick, Gandhi, Churchill, and Justinian to vote for me, while Qin was my opponent and Huayna was his voluntary vassal.

If I hadn't won in 1845, I probably never would have...the turn after the vote, Justinian declared war on Churchill(payback for an earlier war)...and since Churchill was currently at mutual war with me against Huayna and Qin(thanks to Qin declaring on Gandhi, I got everyone in my bloc into mutual war against them except Justinian, who said he had too much on his hands :rolleyes:), Justinian would have fairly quickly rolled him up and then as Qin took cities from Gandhi, and Justinian and Churchill argued over my support, my game would have fallen apart.

I went with a hybrid CE/SE...SE on floodplains cities, CE everywhere else...all 3 of those cities lol. I settled all my GS though, I'm not sure if that's the way to use them if I'm running a combo strat though, I might have finished faster by bulbing with them. UN was built in the mid 1700s, took me the rest of the time to get Justinian and Churchill up to +8 with me(Frederick/Gandhi having the same civic, Churchill and Justinian having labor/religious civics!) I was able to adjust all my civics to match with them all at the same time.

In my opinion on this map size winning via diplomacy requires a bit of luck as well

after yesterdays sulk i regrouped and had another go

my opponents were from right of me around to my left roosevelt, asoka, fred, liz, issy, hattie and sal
i had got the hindu bloc of hattie, sal and issy to friendly, roosevelt and asoka had formed a buddhist clique and liz had gone confucian by herself and so everyone except fred hated her. fred couldn't make his mind up and kept switching between the 3

techwise i got the worker techs then alphabet and maths before starting a beeline for mass media, trading to fill in what i missed

i also built the AP in this game because no one else did and it proved quite useful in making everyone hate liz even more, by stopping everyone from trading with the infidels, it also gave a nice preview of how everyone would vote

when i was getting close to the vote i could see i wouldn't have enough votes to win, so with the army i had built earlier i went after a diplomination (where you vassal the extra votes you need)

i vassaled roosevelt and was halfway through vassaling asoka when i built the UN

saladin won the initial election and wasted his 4 votes with changing the civics around, then once asoka was vassalised i had enough votes to win the secretary generalship but again my opponent was Sal who was friendly with me so first try i didn't have enough votes

this was the point i gave up last time, but this time around i was more determined
liz wasn't too far behind sal in pop so i gifted her biology and hoped that she'd get bigger fast enough and by the next election liz was my opponent

then...
i still didn't win, whilst i'd been busy doing that hattie had adopted free religion and sal was abstaining because he'd slipped back to merely pleased... aaargh
it was getting to be early in the morning now so i gave it one more go
I got hattie out of free religion and gifting sal loads of stuff (not biology though, i was still half awake) they were both friendly again

and the election results
Spoiler :

:king: :D :band:
At this point I was very happy

so i got to use some nice diplomatic victory techniques but overall my strategy was messy and not well planned, but i was playing as mad monty so...

apologies for the long post and yes it does say 2 am in the corner of the screenshot, civanon anyone? :D

good luck with your games and thanks for running these games Bindy

Nice one Bestje! It's good to earn the votes and do some sneaky trades (biology to Liz) to swing it in your favour.

Busy with minor36 at the moment, will probably give this a go next, don't fancy doing another rainforest map (GMinor37) straight away, and the major is open for a month and the same as GMinor36 but on Emperor (so the minor is good practice) so I'll try that at my leisure, axe rushes make me feel dirty.

I just got my arse kicked on immortal. I completely forgot how much faster the AI techs in vanilla/warlords :lol: I just lost to an SS launch by Liz in 1660 AD. I also had terrible GP luck as I was going for the MM beeline but I kept on getting GE's and GA's (at less than 20% odds!). I had 1 GS all game for the academy :( And the odds for a GS were over 50% for most of the game :mad: It would have been hard to win the diplo vote playing as Monty against peaceniks though. I may have to reconsider my opponent selection.

Top Bottom