Bindy's Road to EQM -- Round 3

I'm going to play on Emperor for my first try, see if I can jag-rush a neighbour, if I can do that I should be OK. If I get my botty slapped, I'll move down to monarch and the spanks will be on me!

Never tried immortal (played deity for a couple of gauntlets with bad results), I hear it is a big jump from Emperor (which is hard enough in warlords).

well, I've yet to win a game on Emperor that wasn't a modern/future start, so I'm sticking to monarch, as that's where I plan on competing in the EQM.

I'm going to play on Emperor for my first try, see if I can jag-rush a neighbour, if I can do that I should be OK. If I get my botty slapped, I'll move down to monarch and the spanks will be on me!

Never tried immortal (played deity for a couple of gauntlets with bad results), I hear it is a big jump from Emperor (which is hard enough in warlords).

my inclination would be to forget the jag unless you have neither horses or copper; both axes and charitos are better units to rush with

what does everyone think of ICS to boost vote counts?

sorry for the double post but missed a couple of posts when i looked throgh

Nice one Bestje! It's good to earn the votes and do some sneaky trades (biology to Liz) to swing it in your favour.

Busy with minor36 at the moment, will probably give this a go next, don't fancy doing another rainforest map (GMinor37) straight away, and the major is open for a month and the same as GMinor36 but on Emperor (so the minor is good practice) so I'll try that at my leisure, axe rushes make me feel dirty.
thanks, it was one of the games i most enjoyed winning :)
minor 36 is my next project, also didn't fancy the jungle

I just got my arse kicked on immortal. I completely forgot how much faster the AI techs in vanilla/warlords :lol: I just lost to an SS launch by Liz in 1660 AD. I also had terrible GP luck as I was going for the MM beeline but I kept on getting GE's and GA's (at less than 20% odds!). I had 1 GS all game for the academy :( And the odds for a GS were over 50% for most of the game :mad: It would have been hard to win the diplo vote playing as Monty against peaceniks though. I may have to reconsider my opponent selection.

unlucky with the GP
the AI can launch by 1660 on immortal :eek: i don't think i'd even built the UN by then

I just got my arse kicked on immortal. I completely forgot how much faster the AI techs in vanilla/warlords :lol: I just lost to an SS launch by Liz in 1660 AD. I also had terrible GP luck as I was going for the MM beeline but I kept on getting GE's and GA's (at less than 20% odds!).

I just lost a 1600s Immortal game as well. I'm pretty sure I would have won in the 1500s when I built the UN except that Frederick (+11 realations) overtook Asoka (+5) as my opponent literally the turn I built the UN. I also couldn't get Washington to get a +ve relations for adopting Universal Sufferage, even though the manual says its his favourite civic. I had everyone else votes but Fred/Asoka/Washy had enough to block me until Fred won. I also had terrible luck in GPs, except for the first I had over 60% odds of scientists and ended up with 6 Prophets and 1 Artist, only got 3 scientists.

I also forgot about the golden "don't ever trade for Chemistry" rule in this type of game. When the trade offer was made, I had the thought but then went "oh, I didn't build Parthenon, so doesn't matter". I finally got my 3rd GS just after and found I couldn't bulb Radio, as I was offered Biology and then Fission :mad:

Only takes an hour or so, will try again.

I also have a Monty diplo win (had to use him for something) on Deity, Terra, but it's my third or fourth game in that table which is why it doesn't show up in the HoF list.

I would suggest either OCC or building/capturing only enough cities to get Oxford. More will just slow you down. CE/SE/HE doesn't really matter since he's neither Fin or Philo. Tech strategy depends mostly on difficulty level.

Ideally you want one GS for academy, then early forge for the GE, then GS's until Radio, then GA's for MM. Lib should ideally be used for Radio (prince+below), Electricity (emp/mon) or Physics (immortal). Don't forget to trade up to Music so your GA's will bulb MM.

Right, time to dust off my warlords disc and give this a whirl.

Electricity from liberalism on Emperor? Sounds tough.

EDIT: 790AD, the game doesn't look winnable via UN so I might give up and start again. Best buddy Saladin is also #1 in pop. Had an early war against Capac, could only take 1 city with Jags. We are getting along OK now, Saladin, Capac, Peter and myself are all Jewish. Izzy isn't happy. But she is far away, as are Mansa and Brennus.

Hopefully Saladin will convert to Islam which he founded so I can bribe Capac into a war (if I can get a tech to bribe him with).

Missed the Great Library by 1 turn after Mansa asked me for literature and I decided to accept when I was 8 turns away from building it :( Now my capital and National Epic city has produced 2 artists in a row, used a Great Scientist to bulb philosophy for pacifism instead of making an academy. Not good.

Just for the record, I have one ongoing game. WL, Emperor. Still in the late 1100's, a few turns away from Radio and just got a GS with 70%+ odds for a GE.:(

Anyway, while I am confident the UN will be mine eventually, the diplo environment is not so promising. My rival (#1pop) is prolly one of my friends, Vicky. Even if I get votes from other friends (Mansa, GW, Gandhi) I doubt it will be enough for the win. Unfortunately, the warmongers I picked to spice up the game (Genghis, Ragnar) have done little to help me with mutual military struggle bonus with my peacenik friends. Genghis did build a few cities for me, though. :)

@ Ozbenno: staying away from Chemistry is not enough. You need to stay away from Gunpowder as well. BTW I just wish I could play a game like this one in 1h! It's more like 4~5h for me :crazyeye:

how far ahead in pop are they of the person you want to be in second in the vote?
if its too much and you can't gift cities vassalising enough people to win might be your best option

Luckily enough, Gandhi did overtake Vicky in pop eventually. I also managed to get Mansa, Vicky and Washington to friendly thanks to shared wars (real one vs Genghis then phony one vs Ragnar) and right civics. I got my win in 1475AD, hopefully it'll get accepted. In the end I had 124 votes myself (13% of the total). My total votes were 629 out of 959 (594 required).

Thanks for the game setup, Bindy!

bah, you always seem to beat me C63 :p One of these days I'll catch you...I just need to learn how to tech faster...

Lol I didn't mean to imply that! :p
But, let's get back to the topic before we get accused of thread-hijacking: in my game tech-trading was insane and by the time I won, at least 3 AI had rocketry and industrialism researched, so a space launch wasn't too far away, like in the immortal level losses reported before.

ah, well I was #2 in tech in my game, and no one had advanced past rifles....not sure why the tech pace was so slow. I may try a OCC for this if I find time around GMinor37.

Well in an attempt to actually finish one of these before an update, I went back and had a second go at Immortal. 1650AD win :goodjob:

This time I avoided Gunpowder until after Mass Media (thx Conquistador).

Played OCC, with gems, 3 dye, corn and banana in BFC. Mining, Agriculture, Polytheism, Priesthood, Writing, Code of Laws, CS slingshot, Alphabet, Literature, Paper, Education, Philosophy, Liberalism (Printing Press), Astronomy, Sci Method, Physics, Electricity, Radio, Mass Media was all I researched, traded for everything else (had +4 trade bonuses from all AI).

Mansu was my opponent from early on. Made sure I had shared civics with everyone else (except Cyrus) and had a resource trade with every AI as early as I could. Everyone except Mansu was Friendly with me (Lizze was +15 or something ridiculous like that) and voted for me at the end. Was worried that Asoka would overtake Mansu at the end but Mansu stayed ahead.

:goodjob: ozbenno. You killed the current hof entry for that slot :lol: (1904 AD). I finally have some free time so I'll be giving this a shot again shortly.

:goodjob: ozbenno. You killed the current hof entry for that slot :lol: (1904 AD). I finally have some free time so I'll be giving this a shot again shortly.

The 1904AD date was with a modern start. 1650AD is OK for Monty I think (I could have shaved a few turns off) but I'm sure you'll give it a good nudge ;)

Well, with the update looming, it looks like I'm the only one who hasn't succeeded yet. :blush:

Two attempts have gotten me into situations where one of my best friends has overtaken the other voting spot from my groomed opponent :mad:

I'm trying a little bit of diplomination now, but warring is extremely difficult for me on quick; my units are obsolete by the time they get to the front lines!

I will get the next one posted soon, even if I haven't quite finished this one yet.

[Teaser]It's a BTS only leader and map, with an All-Expansion victory condition, one which gets a lot of discussion time in the HoF forums.[/teaser]

Top Bottom