Black Hospitaller Knight

Vuldacon

Dedicated to Excellence
Supporter
This is the Hospitaller Knight by utahjazz that I recolored to the authentic Black Cloth and Clothes.

No Civ Specific Colors.

This was by request and for anyone else who might want it.

Unit Credit goes to utahjazz7

Thanks utahjazz7...Great Unit.

The Preview is the Run only... just to show the Recolored Unit.

You can download the Zip Here

Last edited:
Vuldacon, you did a wonderful recoloring job with both versions of the Hospitaller Knight. :hatsoff:

Thanks guys... the 1st recolored Hospitaller Knight was simply to change the Civ Specific Colors to colors already in the original Palette.

Then it was brought to my attention about Black being the authentic color, thus this version :)

...it is far easier to recolor a unit than to create it in the first place, although recoloring does have problems but basically just palette techniques and some time.

the problem is with the hospitaller spearman and swordsman

the comments have been removed, i hove i hope i done nothing wrong
i might post an image with some infantry, i would like to see a spearman with this kind of brown
and a dark shield,but i believe it would be to much work, but if you could make it please take this colour, and not the standard colours from civ3

Spoiler :

Any plans to do utahjazz7's matching spearman and swordsman?
Etain... utahjazz7 is a friend and gave his OK for me to do any work I want on his Units. I saw those units and thought about also recoloring them but that really depends on how much recolored versions are wanted.
I recolored this Unit because it was requested and I had the time to do it... "snowed in" literally :lol:

I have many Graphics programs but prefer Paint Shop Pro 9 for ALL Civ Graphics Work in the Game. Easy and to the point but any Good graphics program will work in the hands of one who understands it and how to use it to obtain what they are going for.

Recoloring is not difficult but it can be a chore depending on the Unit because with such few colors in the Unit Palette that are used for the unit, the colors tend to be distributed throughout the unit in various positions. That makes it much more difficult to recolor just some of the colors.

The easiest recoloring of a unit is to change the Civ Specific Colors to what ever you want because you can then keep the other Palette colors as they are. Other than that, you can change the entire Unit colors quickly by applying the color saturation combination you want to the entire storyboard ...then you simply add the Civ Specific Colors and the Shadow and Smoke shades back in from the Original Palette. Save the new Palette then apply that palette using "Maintain indexes" to all storyboards then generate the new Flcs.

Usually, I make several Palettes that I load in a Sequence in order to keep the palette indexes.

Make a Unit Greyscale with PSP by reducing the Color Saturation 100% (Shift+H) then you can colorize it in many ways such as using Colorize (Shift+L) then you can use the Color Balance (Shift+U) and adjust the colors how you want... This Keeps the palette indexes rather than making the Flc Greyscale, which is a new palette and the original color indexes are lost. Keeping the indexes as mentioned above provides the Same end result but keeps the palette indexes for the unit. Then you can simply copy the Areas you want changed over to the Original Palette because all indexes are the same on both, just different colors.

You can use all or just some areas you change in the palette. In the case of changing only the CIV Specific Colors... that is easy because those colors are all in a specific area of the palette. Once you have the 1st palette changed and saved... load to all Flcs and save them... then reduce the colors as needed in order to have 160 Colors. Save a screenshot of that Palette (Ctrl+Alt+Print Screen) when you have it on screen. Save as .bmp because that is true color. Then you can simply copy those colors onto the original Palette, leaving the smoke and Shadow Shades with several programs, I still use the manual Pedit Palette editor. You would change the Civ Specific Colors to a color not used in your Unit such as Pure Green, Red, Blue, Yellow, etc...

You do not always have to make a New Palette by reducing the colors but when you do, the above technique is helpful.

Well, this was probably more than you asked, :lol: but from what you posted, I am sure you have the programs you need to recolor any unit.

Feel free to PM or E-Mail me if any questions. There are no Panacea techniques but understanding your graphics program, the unit palettes and gaining several techniques will allow you to do what you like.

Jerry... a Spearman with a Black Shield and that Brown color could be done but it would require several Palettes because it would actually be changing the CIV Specific Colors to two different colors from the existing unit. That would require copy and paste techniques along with changing the Colors.
IF the Clothes are CIV Specific and the Shield... all would 1st be changed to the Brown for example, then all changed to Black. Then the shield would have to be manually copied and pasted in on all Flcs.

ok i checked your unit, very elegant colour you chose, very very good,maybe the same black swordsman, and if possible the spearman mentioned above, and perhaps also a more complicated hospitaller swordsman with black shield and dark red shirt...i only ask, sorry, i am too enthusiatistic when i see a good unit. i really have needed that mounted knight for a while, who did the request,must have similar tastes with myself :beer: and also with the modder :hatsoff:

Jerry'sGoldfish... I Just checked the Hospitaller Spearman and I can make that Unit the same Black as this Mounted Unit... maybe the Swordsman as well.

Changing the Civ Colors and slightly adjusting overall like this Hospitaller Knight would be the easiest way to do it and the units would go together better too.

Trying to make two different colors for the same Civ Specific Colors used in different areas such as the Shield and Clothes would just be two much copy and paste work. Each frame would have to be manually done one at a time for all Flcs. As I posted above, the shield would have to be pasted in as a Black Shield in every frame for each Flc and before that could be done, everything else in each frame would have to be manually erased, leaving only the shield. Really, too much to explain here but too much manual work that would take weeks.

Jerry'sGoldfish...I just checked the Hospitaller Swordsman and I can also recolor that unit the same as this Hospitaller Knight.

I will do thos for you if you are OK with them recolored as Black. As it turns out all three of these Units use the same palettes and because I have already finished the Palette work and Techniques for this current Recolored Unit, I already have both the Hospitaller Spearman and Swordsman recolored and ready to make the new Flcs... I just have to make the Civilopedia Large and Small and New Units_32 files.

Top Bottom