1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

black tiles in C2C

Discussion in 'Bugs and Crashes' started by civhelp121, Jul 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

The SVN apparently compresses very effectively for the transfer then auto unpacks upon delivery. I've noticed that before too.

2. Sgtslick

Sgtslick Emperor

Seems every time I update svn and go to play I get black tiles, but after I delete cache and custom assets its fixed. I remember in the past I had problems with GEM map and thats what im playing now, so that might have something to do with it. No idea though really, im just glad deleting the cache/custom assets seems to work for me.

3. Sgtslick

Sgtslick Emperor

Got to where deleting cache & custom assets and reinstalling the mod from scratch didn't work.
    So i tried unpacking the .fpk 's like people had suggested and it worked fyi.

4. dusckr87

dusckr87 Prince

I never had to delete CA as it was always empty anyway (and of course the folders recreate on each load anyway), but the cache thing stopped working around September, and the .net framework thing never did work. Unpacking the fpks may make the game take longer to load, but that is sure a lot better than mucking around for hours with things that don't work.

5. Sgtslick

Sgtslick Emperor

Yup. If I had of known this a year ago I would of saved myself a lot of time and frustration :lol:

It does take a damn long time to load though.. Last time I put laundry on, made coffee and toast, ate/drank, came upstairs and the thing still hadn't loaded, had to of been 10-15 minutes at least ;)

6. Loffas

Loffas Warlord

Hi, I tried your method. Some problems. The program chrashes when I load my save. Plus when in the civolopedia alot of icons are pink. I´m using c2c v.28.
    When using PAK build i did like you wrote. I choose all the .Pak files in the assets folder. (Don´t know if there are any in folders under assets). Then unpaked in assets. No popup about overwriting at all, files or folders.
    Then I moved the PAK files from the assets folder like you wrote.

Where did I go wrong?

7. dusckr87

dusckr87 Prince

The latest version has no duplicates (or at least the latest one as of this writing). It sounds like you may not have unpacked all the fpks, as I don't have any pink squares (I'll look later and post back if I have the time and the internet is working on my end) in either the release v28 or SVN 4703.

But try to unpack in a temporary folder and then move rather than unpack directly to "assets". It is safer that way. You may also want to try each fpk one at a time, though that is probably over-kill.

EDIT---oh, and the 3-4 minutes above extra is a little joke. As sgtslick says, it is closer to 10-15 minutes.

8. GreatLordofPie

GreatLordofPie Warlord

Sooo, I managed to fix black tiles for my first game of V29 using the fpk replacement method, however, when I reloaded, the tiles were black again! Same with new games. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening or how to fix this?

9. dusckr87

dusckr87 Prince

There is no "v29", but if you mean the SVN version make sure you do a full export rather than a versioned export if you unpack the fpks, and delete the old version (or rename the new) first. V28 (actually SVN4681) works fine for me, and the new SVN revisions have worked as well (so far).

Also, I have caching turned off, but I don't know if that makes a difference in this case.

10. GreatLordofPie

GreatLordofPie Warlord

Sorry, I did mean V28 with no SVN update

11. Healz

Healz General

I keep having a similiar problem right the way through since about version 15 or so. It used to come and go but now it is black with green lines on it and some units show up but they are very dark and not lit.

I have an ATI Radeon HD 5800 series graphics card with a 1.00 GB Adaptor RAM at the latest driver. I find that only this mod does it. Is there a trick I am missing in terms of the loading. No errors just green edged black tiles even in the area that I should rightly be able to see and it does not come good. Any suggestions?

12. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

This thread is full of suggestions for those who are patient enough to give it a read. Not all experience this but there are ways to wiggle out the problem if you have it.

13. Maxima7

Maxima7 Warlord

I don't have black tile land. I only have black oceans.

14. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

I'm sure it'd have much the same solutions as listed here, or at least these are a good place to start.

15. Maxima7

Maxima7 Warlord

Yeah, there is. I was just hoping I could get it fixed without the PAKbuild. I had new modded drivers to update to, and that made it so none of the alternative ways worked apparently for land or water, so I just ended up using the PAKbuild.

16. salvelinus

salvelinus Chieftain

Thanks guys for this great mod (I prefer this to civV). But with c2c v28 I give up. I've tried everything, but the land and the seas are always blacks. Waiting for an update (from who is better than me) I keep playing with the mod v27.
    Please do a favor (if you can), add as a civilization even the Etruscans, I'm Tuscan.

17. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

Did you guys completely Delete the Custom Assets in the folder (see attached), then make sure the Cache is deleted also, just incase.(pic3) If you really want to keep deleting also delete all the files in the LOGs folder.

18. dusckr87

dusckr87 Prince

Custom Assets always was empty for me since I got this game in 2008 (not a single one of my 75 mods ever adds anything to it**), so that wasn't a problem. Deleting both* caches doesn't help anymore (if it ever did and wasn't just a coincidence because it was done with another solution at the same time), and deleting logs is overkill but still doesn't help. The ONLY thing that works at all, and works every time, is unpacking the fpks. They are just too large (both individually and in total), IMO.

*and when I say "both" I don't mean the one in C2C, as that cache doesn't exist when you start the game. I mean the ones in appdata\local\mygame\bts and documents\mygames\bts.
    **though Civ4 Colonization did have those problems, and it had graphical problems as well

19. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

Not true(see Destiny FPK almost 3 times larger), but i understand what you are saying, there is something wrong as far as i can tell now fin the folder "unique", because i tried separating it completely and when i do i get the black tiles, that means a graphics error someplace. So someplace within THAT folder is the error.

FfH2/Erebus is around 550,000ish and no black tiles ever reported, so size does NOT matter.

20. Sgtslick

Sgtslick Emperor

I had to unpack fpk couple of days ago - there were like 26 duplicates or something that I had to overwrite. Seems to solve the problem every time though. Only thing is it takes FOREVER for the game to start - seriously like 20 minutes lol. Its kinda hard to stay motivated to play when it takes that long.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.