1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

black tiles in C2C

Discussion in 'Bugs and Crashes' started by civhelp121, Jul 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AIAndy

AIAndy Deity

Given that it only happens on some starts of the game and for some DLL versions, there are likely some bad pointers involved. All kind of changes (especially changing the DLL code and recompiling) can influence where in memory things are placed and that can mean the difference between hitting important things with the bad pointers or not.

2. Taxman66

Taxman66 King

I've never installed any ST mods (heck I've only installed C2C & FFH) and I get black tiles when I upgrade my video driver. Until recently that was the only time I got BT.

Now, I did get them recently after my kid was using the computer (not sure exactly what she was doing), after I had played. I'll also note that she was using a different loginID than where we play C2C from. Also this version of BT was slightly different as white double line braces showed up around each black tile.

Anyway I'm lucky in that I can get rid of them by: 1) rebooting the computer; 2) starting vanilla BTS and creating a world; 3) Exit BTS; 4) Start C2C.
    *If it happens again I'll see if I can omit step 2 & 3.

That leads me to believe that (in some cases) the video reference information gets messed up and needs to be cleared out.

3. dusckr87

dusckr87 Prince

As it turns out, it may just be coincidence anyway. When I tried renaming the ST files from "fpk" to "old" and trying the packed fpks from SVN4370, I didn't get the black tiles. When I tried the same thing with 4386, I got the black tiles and the only thing that worked for me was to use my (so far) "foolproof" method of unpacking the C2C files. So that indicates that the "problem" is in C2C and any solution involving the Star Trek files is coincidental (the way Star Trek mod did it isn't really ideal either, but I know why they did it the way they did).

4. Sgtslick

Sgtslick Emperor

getting black tiles again.. argh

5. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

I know, i got them after the one SVN, just update, and do a quick "repair" of Net4, re-start your PC and it should be ok after that.

6. Sgtslick

Sgtslick Emperor

deleting custom assets & cache worked, on the third try ;)

7. dusckr87

dusckr87 Prince

Just so that you guys are aware, every single time I updated (via SVN) the mod in the last month by unpacking the fpks there were at least 1-2 dozen duplicate files. If that really is a problem, then someone has to go through them and check. I'm not going to provide a list this time*, as the last time I did you guys fixed it but the duplicate creep has happened again.
    But unpacking the fpks and deleting the duplicates ALWAYS solves the black tiles problem.

*plus I have no idea when I'll be able to access the forums due to connection problems---updating the SVN is difficult enough

8. strategyonly

OK fair enough, but could you pls give at least one example this time of what the duplicate is in (which FPK), that way i can take a look, thx.

9. dusckr87

dusckr87 Prince

I'm not the only one that can unpack files...;)

Anyway, I'm feeling generous, so I took the time to check c2c.fpk, and there were no duplicates in that, so it must be one of the others. I normally do all at once to save time, but I don't currently have time to extract the entire mod* and then unpack each fpk one at a time.

*since I want to check a copy, not the SVN itself, and I only extract a copy when I feel it is sufficiently different from the last one as I archive all those copies

edit#2---though I admit I haven't tried to do a full extract for about a week (4559), and I know c2c.fpk has changed twice in that amount of time, so it could have been fixed in the latest SVN

edit#3---I also just automatically unpack the fpks and then archive them without even bothering to check if the black tiles occur with them packed, as it saves time in the long run rather than jumping through other hoops that may or may not work

10. strategyonly

:hmm: Time, now is that a funny thing! I dont want to offend you, and this is not to, ok.

You know when someone says that, it actually does mean things will, doesnt it, sorry.:blush:

Anyways, by the time I/you wrote this, I/you could have unpacked the entire FPK's as a spare in a "New Folder" and just looked at it, then delete the whole folder if you wanted to. Again, I am Just Sayin'

I more or less mean this as a jj ok, jj=just joking, :joke::sarcasm::p

11. dusckr87

dusckr87 Prince

Exactly my point. Why am I responsible to do so...;) But time isn't the only factor involved in my case. As i've said many times, my internet connection sucks. It went down again just after I posted above, and I'll keep my fingers crossed that this post goes through. I was just pointing things out as a FYI, as I solved the problem on my end.

Plus, I'm lazy and already have spent more time on this than I wanted to.

12. strategyonly

ahaha now thats good to hear. :p

13. Sgtslick

Sgtslick Emperor

Its no-ones problem really, its not like people working on this mod get paid or anything, just saying.

Seems I keep getting black tiles a lot recently and only managed to overcome them by deleting the mod and reinstalling - as opposed to overwriting when exporting svn. Don't know what the difference is.

14. dusckr87

dusckr87 Prince

Well, yes, but it seems a bit silly when someone like me comes along, who has absolutely no "stakes" in this, that has in the past out of the goodness of my heart provided a list that got fixed, is asked again to do the same thing. It isn't my responsibility when others can do it just as easily. You can see the irony here.

I always delete the old mod (or at least rename the new one---I currently have three revisions installed). I always extract the updated SVN, and never use the SVN folder itself. I've always used the "export all items" option rather than "export versioned items" as I'm sure doing the latter is going to bite someone in the ass eventually.
    Since unpacking the fpks works every.single.time, the problem must lie in there somewhere.

15. strategyonly

Again NO offense, but you can absolutely see I was JOKING. No reason to get upset , YOU must have read it wrong or something, or was in a bad mood when you did, because the ICONs and the writing CLEARLY say JOKE!!:rolleyes: Now do you see the irony, also then.

16. BadaBing

BadaBing Chieftain

17. dusckr87

dusckr87 Prince

I knew you were joking, but I don't think sgtslick understood that.

18. BadaBing

BadaBing Chieftain

Happy to report the unpack method has fixed the black terrain for me too (instructions here). Does add to the load time but it's the only reliable method to fix the problem for me. Hopefully the duplicates will be removed with the next release :)

19. strategyonly

20. dusckr87

dusckr87 Prince

I may give it a try. My internet seems a bit stable for now, but who knows when I try to update the SVN*. Plus there is that lazy thing again...;)

But if it helps others, great.

*though since re-doing all the fpks means around 800500Mb d/l, I'd better do it now before it goes down again[EDIT]...wow 40 minutes for 500Mb---either sourceforge was sluggish or my connection was or both:eek:

as a side note, how come the SVN d/l said only 500 MB when the total was 810?
    (that's a rhetorical question; I probably won't read the answer if one is given)

EDIT---I see on a more recent SVN you removed some art files (the SVN thread doesn't mention this). I was going to say something about the 72 duplicates that weren't removed in the updated fpks...;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.