Blocking users

Is there a way to block someone from sending me private messages and starting coversations with me?
Click on their username and go to their profile. You will see a list of options that looks like this:

Profile Page Start a Conversation Gift Follow Ignore

Click on "Ignore" and they will be unable to send you any PMs or start conversations with you. They can still read and answer your posts, but you won't see their replies (if they reply). Their name will come up if they "like" one of your posts, but you will not receive any alert that they "liked" it.

If they have previously PM'd you, you will be unable to see their PMs unless you take them off your 'ignore' list.

Don't mention the ignore list (or that you have someone on ignore) in regular forums; it's considered a form of trolling. I'm just explaining this in a 'how this feature works' way.

Edit: You cannot put moderators or admins on ignore.

@Valka D'Ur Thank You. I saw the Ignore option, but wasn't sure what it actually did.
You're welcome.

There is one other thing I should have mentioned about this feature. If you want to ignore someone who is the OP (thread-starter) of any thread you post in, read, or need for reference purposes, you will be unable to see the entire thread. It will disappear as though it never existed, invisible, unless you're subscribed to it and someone you're not ignoring posts in it.

If you ignore a user, can they see posts you started? Or vice versa?

If you ignore a user, can they see posts you started? Or vice versa?
You will not be able to see any threads they start listed on that forum's main index. It will be as though the thread doesn't exist. You may become aware of it if anyone you're following posts in it, though. I'm not sure if you'd become aware of it if a moderator posted mod text in it.

If they're not ignoring you, they will be able to see threads you start and posts you make. They might reply to your posts, but you won't be aware of it unless someone you're not ignoring includes it in a quote.

As far as I know, if you're ignoring someone you won't be able to PM each other unless you already had a conversation going prior to you toggling the 'ignore' feature on.

Edit: You cannot put moderators or admins on ignore.
This was actually an amusing oversight on a forum I was on until a couple of years ago. The site owner, administrator, and ONLY moderator, who was actually quite toxic and a troll himself, and did not moderate fairly in the least, neglected to make himself unable to be ignored, and was shocked (and so was everyone else) when a peaked member of the forum put him on ignore, and it WORKED! Amusing anecdote.

This was actually an amusing oversight on a forum I was on until a couple of years ago. The site owner, administrator, and ONLY moderator, who was actually quite toxic and a troll himself, and did not moderate fairly in the least, neglected to make himself unable to be ignored, and was shocked (and so was everyone else) when a peaked member of the forum put him on ignore, and it WORKED! Amusing anecdote.
Thanks for that reminder. I'd thought it was standard that admins can't be ignored. That's a default setting for some types of forums.

@Brixter: You're welcome. :) The fact is that we're all still getting used to this new version of XenForo after the latest forum migration. Some things don't work quite the way they used to, so sometimes we find things out by trial and error. But sooner or later someone will raise a topic for discussion here in Site Feedback, so either the admins can explain it or figure it out, or we can discuss it and hopefully find the solution.

Unfortunately, the only way to do that is to put the OP on ignore.

Can the ignore function be changed to be vice versa like Reddit?

In Reddit, if you block a user, you can't see their posts and messages and they can't see your posts and messages.

In Reddit, if you block a user, you can't see their posts and messages and they can't see your posts and messages.

Doubtful, though perhaps @The_J might be able to confirm if I'm correct. As far as I know, XenForo doesn't work that way. I've never heard of any type of forum that does. Certainly none of the forums I've ever admin'd have had that capability.

If you put someone on ignore, you will be unable to see their posts and you and they will not be able to PM one another (except for conversations already in progress; apparently those can continue, but no new ones can be started).

If they have not put you on ignore, they can still see your posts, react to them, and reply to them. You won't be aware of it unless someone includes their response to you in a quote, or if they drop a 'like' on your post.

However, it's up to you if you want to investigate their posts. XenForo's ignore feature is less obvious than vBulletin's was. There are some people on another XenForo forum on my ignore list who have been there so long that I actually forgot they even existed, and was only reminded when someone else referenced them.

It would be pretty silly imo for an individual user with no access to moderating tools to be able to control what other users see in a discussion board. I temporarily "ignored" a user just out of curiosity, to see how threads look, and it breaks the whole thing.

So people going around blocking others would quickly turn threads into an unreadable mess. That's the technical part. But one could also question the morality of essentially giving greater power to users with anti-social tendencies (since I suspect such users would be more likely to pull the trigger) and the detrimental implications such actions might have in terms of "community building".

Ignore
should only affect the person using it. And frankly it would be even better if the function were not automatic but rather require a request be sent to the admin team along with proper justification. Just to serve as further discouragement.

Ignore should only affect the person using it. And frankly it would be even better if the function were not automatic but rather require a request be sent to the admin team along with proper justification. Just to serve as further discouragement.

No. That is going too far. What the member may see as a valid reason may be what the admin sees as trivial, and unless they dig through all the interactions to find evidence to judge - as that situation is likely to be the tip of an iceberg's worth of reasons to block someone, going back over many years - in short, the interaction history of the people involved, the request would likely be dismissed (forum history does matter, but not everyone's got the patience to examine it).

I have occasionally blocked someone so as not to see their avatar (they thankfully changed it eventually). There have been temporary arguments that I wasn't willing to be part of anymore, the other person didn't take "I'm out/done" for an answer, and kept it up. Therefore the ignore feature was employed. When the argument was over, the person came off the ignore list.

Top Bottom