1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

BNW patch en route

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by callan, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Seek

Seek Deity Supporter

Ah, I see. I'm still getting these terms mixed up - so Pitboss (ideally) works as both normal MP and PBEM at the same time basically?

2. JSMCAG

JSMCAG King

This seems weird. Is it possible that Motherland Calls is in the game files without being in the game itself?

Also, can you see what's the limitation on the Chateaux? I mean, Terrace Farms can only be built on hills, Moai on coast, etc... What about the Chateaux? Or can we place them wherever we please?

3. CanuckSoldier

CanuckSoldier Emperor

I don't hate steam at all, in fact I very much like it. To be honest I do not trust Friaxus to follow threw on a Pitboss app, they told us we would have Pitboss "soon" after Civ5 was released along with all the other MP fixes, it has been years and they finally delivered something. So yes I do not take Firaxis's word on that they are going to deliver a Pitboss App if there is enough feedback.

Sorry but bad track records don't disappear fast, I'll be glad if I am wrong, but right now I personally don't think we will see a Pitboss app any time soon.

CS

4. CanuckSoldier

CanuckSoldier Emperor

Pitboss is an always running mini server that any player can run. It is used by the host to setup the game, and all the settings. And after running, players can login anytime with in the turn time limit and play their turn. Games can start with all players logged in to increase the startup time of the game, but this is not required.

CS

5. Ryoga

Ryoga King

<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_BUILDING_MUGHAL_FORT_HELP">
    <Text>Provides +2 [ICON_TOURISM] Tourism after Flight is researched.[NEWLINE][NEWLINE]City must have Walls.</Text>

It's +2 tourism not +1 as I read in previous speculations.

6. True_Candyman

True_Candyman Emperor

That's illogical.

Based on your reasoning you should not trust firaxis to come good on Pitboss soon, but you should trust them to come through in the long run.

You've mentioned no such instance where firaxis has failed to deliver so your reaction is unjustified.

So look on the bright side, it will come :goodjob: Besides, it would be suicide for them not to deliver after making it so plainly clear about the fact that they will release pitboss at a later date!

7. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

Hmm, OK... interesting.

I assume it's either a multiplayer game or you're using mods?

8. Ryoga

Ryoga King

What is this great work swapping?

And it looks like other civs won't like it if you excavate their artifacts

9. Zaimejs

Zaimejs Emperor

I tried to buy BNW via steam and it wouldn't let me. Got through paypal, then it said, "something went wrong because we're steam and we suck."

Doesn't matter because I have a mac, so I probably won't see the update for 3 months.

Meh.

10. callan

callan Warlord

Not true at all. A stand alone server executable need have no tie in to Steam whatsoever, that's the entire point of it. It's "just" a matter of assembling the relevant sections of the current code into such a self-contained, coherent program. This is a time-consuming if not especially difficult task now that the base infrastructure has been substantially improved and they have a MP team in place and familiar with the product. I wouldn't expect it to take of team of 6-8 people longer that 3-4 months as a very rough guesstimate.

11. EnterDOT

EnterDOT Chieftain

Use bootcamp...

12. otaman1

otaman1 Prince

Looks like everybody's having fun with the new patch. I went online and G&K updated automatically. I got scared that it might affect my saved games so I quickly went back offline suspending the patch at 98.6% ...

13. callan

callan Warlord

Single player save games seem to be fine for the most part. Multiplayer not so much. Which makes sense really.

14. theadder

theadder Prince

They said that some of the textures are being optimised.

They said that they are testing it integrated into the game and the standalone version is coming.

15. SamBC

SamBC Emperor

Well, standalone dedicated servers exist for other Steam-only games. Not least Valve ones.

16. SamBC

SamBC Emperor

I heard about player-slot matching being messed up. Maybe how they store the matching has changed or broken. Can you kick people then let them rejoin so they're in the right order, perhaps?

17. Gharry

Gharry Chieftain

<ArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_CHATEAU</ArtDefineTag><SpecificCivRequired>true</SpecificCivRequired><CivilizationType>CIVILIZATION_FRANCE</CivilizationType><PillageGold>30</PillageGold><DefenseModifier>50</DefenseModifier><NoTwoAdjacent>true</NoTwoAdjacent><AdjacentLuxury>true</AdjacentLuxury><PortraitIndex>2</PortraitIndex><IconAtlas>TERRAIN_IMPROVEMENT_ICON_ATLAS_EXP2</IconAtlas>

I've never looked at XML files before, but this looks like ch√Ęteaus cannot be placed adjacent to each other and must be next to a luxury resource. They also seem to provide the 50% defence of a fort.

18. Human Crouton

Human Crouton Prince

It looks like the mystery of seeing two pantheons has been solved. The policy "Free Religion" allows you to add a second pantheon.

19. GJJN

GJJN Chieftain

I have the same thing. I can see BNW in the DLC list but cant enable it. All the files are in the CIV5 folder. Is there a way to enable it?

20. anandus

anandus Errorist

Just like the three gorges dam and the LHC ;)