BNW patch en route

GMR is a nice system but still essentially just PBEM, Pitboss if done right is a near real time game with the advantage of not having the reload cheating of PBEM. For now though assuming the patch did not break GMR, it is still the best option.

CS

Ah, I see. I'm still getting these terms mixed up - so Pitboss (ideally) works as both normal MP and PBEM at the same time basically?

Motherland Calls seems to come with Railroad for Order civs (according to the files).

Chateau is listed as giving +2 culture and +2 gold, with an extra culture and gold with Flight.

This seems weird. Is it possible that Motherland Calls is in the game files without being in the game itself?

Also, can you see what's the limitation on the Chateaux? I mean, Terrace Farms can only be built on hills, Moai on coast, etc... What about the Chateaux? Or can we place them wherever we please?

So do you flat out think they are lying in the release notes, or just didn't read them?

I get that people hate Steam, but it sounds like they really are planning on a stand-alone setup. So I personally wouldn't consider the Steam-only version we have now as 'useless' even if I did hate Steam, as high usage will presumably speed up the standalone development process.

I don't hate steam at all, in fact I very much like it. To be honest I do not trust Friaxus to follow threw on a Pitboss app, they told us we would have Pitboss "soon" after Civ5 was released along with all the other MP fixes, it has been years and they finally delivered something. So yes I do not take Firaxis's word on that they are going to deliver a Pitboss App if there is enough feedback.

Sorry but bad track records don't disappear fast, I'll be glad if I am wrong, but right now I personally don't think we will see a Pitboss app any time soon.

CS

Ah, I see. I'm still getting these terms mixed up - so Pitboss (ideally) works as both normal MP and PBEM at the same time basically?

Pitboss is an always running mini server that any player can run. It is used by the host to setup the game, and all the settings. And after running, players can login anytime with in the turn time limit and play their turn. Games can start with all players logged in to increase the startup time of the game, but this is not required.

CS

<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_BUILDING_MUGHAL_FORT_HELP">
<Text>Provides +2 [ICON_TOURISM] Tourism after Flight is researched.[NEWLINE][NEWLINE]City must have Walls.</Text>

It's +2 tourism not +1 as I read in previous speculations.

I don't hate steam at all, in fact I very much like it. To be honest I do not trust Friaxus to follow threw on a Pitboss app, they told us we would have Pitboss "soon" after Civ5 was released along with all the other MP fixes, it has been years and they finally delivered something. So yes I do not take Firaxis's word on that they are going to deliver a Pitboss App if there is enough feedback.

Sorry but bad track records don't disappear fast, I'll be glad if I am wrong, but right now I personally don't think we will see a Pitboss app any time soon.

CS

That's illogical.

Based on your reasoning you should not trust firaxis to come good on Pitboss soon, but you should trust them to come through in the long run.

You've mentioned no such instance where firaxis has failed to deliver so your reaction is unjustified.

So look on the bright side, it will come :goodjob: Besides, it would be suicide for them not to deliver after making it so plainly clear about the fact that they will release pitboss at a later date!

What is this great work swapping?

<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_NOTIFICATION_GREAT_WORK_WRITING_SWAP">
<Text>{1_LeaderName} has swapped your Great Work of Writing "{2_Work1Name}" for the Great Work "{3_Work2Name}."</Text>
</Row>
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_NOTIFICATION_GREAT_WORK_ART_SWAP">
<Text>{1_LeaderName} has swapped your Great Work of Art "{2_Work1Name}" for the Great Work "{3_Work2Name}."</Text>
</Row>
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_NOTIFICATION_GREAT_WORK_MUSIC_SWAP">
<Text>{1_LeaderName} has swapped your Great Work of Music "{2_Work1Name}" for the Great Work "{3_Work2Name}."</Text>
</Row>
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_NOTIFICATION_ARTIFACT_SWAP">
<Text>{1_LeaderName} has swapped your Artifact "{2_Work1Name}" for the Artifact "{3_Work2Name}."</Text>
</Row>

And it looks like other civs won't like it if you excavate their artifacts

<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_DIPLO_NO_DIG_PROMISE_BROKEN">
<Text>[COLOR_NEGATIVE_TEXT]You made a promise to stop excavating their artifacts, and then broke it![ENDCOLOR]</Text>
</Row>
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_DIPLO_NO_DIG_PROMISE_IGNORED">
<Text>[COLOR_NEGATIVE_TEXT]They asked you to stop excavating their artifacts, and you ignored them![ENDCOLOR]</Text>
</Row>

I tried to buy BNW via steam and it wouldn't let me. Got through paypal, then it said, "something went wrong because we're steam and we suck."

Doesn't matter because I have a mac, so I probably won't see the update for 3 months.

Meh.

Yes I am betting that the reason we do not have a Pitboss App is that it can possibly cause a security breach for Steam and Steam needs all games to have a valid login. An app that doesn't need a login could be used by hackers to get a backdoor into steam and use the code to pirate steam games and use the steam servers.

I'm sure that Firaxis and Steam are working on a secure Pitboss system as we speak, but still until that happens Pitboss is useless as it is now.
Not true at all. A stand alone server executable need have no tie in to Steam whatsoever, that's the entire point of it. It's "just" a matter of assembling the relevant sections of the current code into such a self-contained, coherent program. This is a time-consuming if not especially difficult task now that the base infrastructure has been substantially improved and they have a MP team in place and familiar with the product. I wouldn't expect it to take of team of 6-8 people longer that 3-4 months as a very rough guesstimate.

I tried to buy BNW via steam and it wouldn't let me. Got through paypal, then it said, "something went wrong because we're steam and we suck."

Doesn't matter because I have a mac, so I probably won't see the update for 3 months.

Meh.

Use bootcamp...

Looks like everybody's having fun with the new patch. I went online and G&K updated automatically. I got scared that it might affect my saved games so I quickly went back offline suspending the patch at 98.6% ...

Single player save games seem to be fine for the most part. Multiplayer not so much. Which makes sense really.

Guys, look at end of expansion2.civ5pkg, Haile Selassie's getting new textures...

They said that some of the textures are being optimised.

ok nevermind it seems it is simply a check box in the advanced game settings in the host new MP game screen.

I hope Firaxis gets the memo that a stand alone app is required. No one wants to burn up their steam login for weeks to host a pitboss game.....who ever thought this would work should be fired...

CS

They said that they are testing it integrated into the game and the standalone version is coming.

Yes I am betting that the reason we do not have a Pitboss App is that it can possibly cause a security breach for Steam and Steam needs all games to have a valid login. An app that doesn't need a login could be used by hackers to get a backdoor into steam and use the code to pirate steam games and use the steam servers.

I'm sure that Firaxis and Steam are working on a secure Pitboss system as we speak, but still until that happens Pitboss is useless as it is now.
Well, standalone dedicated servers exist for other Steam-only games. Not least Valve ones.

Single player save games seem to be fine for the most part. Multiplayer not so much. Which makes sense really.
I heard about player-slot matching being messed up. Maybe how they store the matching has changed or broken. Can you kick people then let them rejoin so they're in the right order, perhaps?

<ArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_CHATEAU</ArtDefineTag><SpecificCivRequired>true</SpecificCivRequired><CivilizationType>CIVILIZATION_FRANCE</CivilizationType><PillageGold>30</PillageGold><DefenseModifier>50</DefenseModifier><NoTwoAdjacent>true</NoTwoAdjacent><AdjacentLuxury>true</AdjacentLuxury><PortraitIndex>2</PortraitIndex><IconAtlas>TERRAIN_IMPROVEMENT_ICON_ATLAS_EXP2</IconAtlas>

I've never looked at XML files before, but this looks like châteaus cannot be placed adjacent to each other and must be next to a luxury resource. They also seem to provide the 50% defence of a fort.

It looks like the mystery of seeing two pantheons has been solved. The policy "Free Religion" allows you to add a second pantheon.

I have the same thing. I can see BNW in the DLC list but cant enable it. All the files are in the CIV5 folder. Is there a way to enable it?

Top Bottom