Bombard Cannon

EDIT: new link for updated model, made by Xenomorph.

Despite not finding a way to use EE2 anims in Civ, I have converted a probably most wanted unit from this game, by rigging it to anims of a bombard earlier created by Woodelf and C. Roland.

This is a functional bombard from EE2. Crew not included, this is a single-figure unit. It has a gloss map and teamcolor, but doesn't have damage states. It is somewhat animated - it will recoil when firing, but there is no death animation and the wheels won't roll when it moves (although this is hardly noticeable); still, I think it's quite useful as it is now.

I also took the liberty to create a simple model/texture edit, to make an Ottoman Great Cannon out of it. It features a horizontal-facing longer muzzle, and longer base, and also a non-teamcolored texture with Ottoman insignia.

Both models use the same animations, and the textures are interchangeable (so you can make non-Ottoman civ-colored great cannon, and Ottoman Bombard out of those, if you want to, simply by swapping the textures).

Most units (basically, every one that should contain moving parts, like catapult or oar-propelled galley) are, therefore, still out of my reach, but I can convert some simple units by rigging them to existing anims, and I'll probably be doing this later on.

This is just a regular cannon which files do I put in my art defines to make it look like a bombard? Any help would be great. All the dds are just a normal cannon button and the kfm is from a regular cannon where are the bombard files to make it look like your screenshots.

I am sorry I am new to putting units in civ 4, I figured it out the unit looks great now I have a galleas and a bombard should be set for my medieval renaisscance game. I was a whiz at civ 3 but civ 4 is much different but I think maybe easier, just have to get used to it. I wonder how it is for adding buildings and leaderheads and wonders as compared to civ 3. Thanks Walter, good unit sir!

Hi Folks,

I'm a little bit distressed :cry:

I tried to add a cannoneer to the bombard. In nifskope when I test the animation all works perfekt:

But ingame the cannoneer will not work / does not move / is not animated (the bombard works well):

- I did "update all tangent spaces" and "make all skin partitions" in nifskope...normally after this the units work perfect...but not this time...

Can someone help me? What may be the problem?

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 375
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 307
Hi Folks,

I'm a little bit distressed :cry:

I tried to add a cannoneer to the bombard. In nifskope when I test the animation all works perfekt:

But ingame the cannoneer will not work / does not move / is not animated (the bombard works well):

- I did "update all tangent spaces" and "make all skin partitions" in nifskope...normally after this the units work perfect...but not this time...

Can someone help me? What may be the problem?
Did you add all the nodes of the cannoneer to the NiMultiTargetTransformController?

Hm, I have added all nodes now...but it still does not work...

How do I have to add them? Hust copy and paste of the branch of the nodes into the Controller?

Hm, I have added all nodes now...but it still does not work...

How do I have to add them? Hust copy and paste of the branch of the nodes into the Controller?
I normally add their numbers to the "Extra Targets" after having added the number of new bones to the "Num Extra Targets", but copy & paste might work as well.

It is a bit hard to search for the error without being able to look at the unit itself. Maybe you could uploaded it, then I could help you better.

Yes, that is a very good idea.

Here is the bombard with cannonier.
Hmmm... you sure that this is the right unit? It is called "Imperial_Cannon" and does not look like the unit from the images.

Argh, you are right... :crazyeye:

The nif I built is "bombardB2.nif"...
Hm, couldn't figure out what is wrong with the unit. In the end, I instead nifswapped the bombard and the cannoneer into a working cannon_fx.nif. Haven't tested it ingame, but at least it works in the 'pedia.

Attachments

• bombard_cannon_fx.zip
    43.3 KB · Views: 47
Thank you for your support!

Hm...when I use your cannon_fx.nif with a working cannon model it looks like this (also ingame):

Instead of 4 wheels (see above) it only has 2 wheels...like a normal cannon... :confused:

Attachments

• wheels.jpg
    wheels.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 242
Thank you for your support!

Hm...when I use your cannon_fx.nif with a working cannon model it looks like this (also ingame):

Instead of 4 wheels (see above) it only has 2 wheels...like a normal cannon... :confused:
Ah, guess I was too concentrated on the cannoneer. (Hopefully) fixed the cannon in this file. :)

Attachments

• bombard_cannon_fx_2.zip
    43.4 KB · Views: 95
Wow, wow, wow! :goodjob::goodjob::goodjob:

It works...thank you very, very much!

:worship::worship::worship:

What have you done? Can you explain your work or was it to complicated for explaining it in a few words? I'm interested to learn how to do it.

Wow, wow, wow! :goodjob::goodjob::goodjob:

It works...thank you very, very much!

:worship::worship::worship:
Thanks, glad it works now. :)
What have you done? Can you explain your work or was it to complicated for explaining it in a few words? I'm interested to learn how to do it.
Sure, I am always happy if somebody wants to learn this stuff. You can read about nifswapping here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=9203025#post9203025
(post 3534 & 3537)

However, the bombard itself I copy & pasted the whole NiNode "Cannon_Body" and deleted the original NiNode "Cannon_Body" in the cannon_fx.nif. The problem with the wheels was that the bone nodes of the cannon skeleton "Dummy_Cannon_Body" have changed Translation & Rotation values and two extra nodes:
Spoiler :

Also the four "Effect_xxx" nodes had different Translation & Rotation values.

After pasting the two extra nodes and changing the values of the other nodes accordingly the unit seems to work fine.

Hope this helps for the start. :)

Attachments

• Bombard_Extra_Nodes.jpg
    Bombard_Extra_Nodes.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 256
Top Bottom