1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

born losers

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by babybluepants, Sep 2, 2011.

1. mystyfly

mystyfly Knight of Cydonia

:lol:

Yeap, go ahead ;)

2. Rusten

Rusten Chieftain

Remove me from the playing roster. At least for the time being.

The extreme slowness has killed my interest. This isn't the first set that was "forgotten".

3. mystyfly

Can't say I blame you, rusten. Thought about just letting it be as well. Maybe we'll get back on track and pick up our pace and it's all fine, or else it's no big deal.

BTW who apart from bbp is still around?

4. RRRaskolnikov

RRRaskolnikov Goldfish

I am :p

5. mystyfly

Previous experience tells me you being here now doesn't count for much :p ;) Still, it's being noted, thank you very much :D

6. babybluepants

babybluepants Chieftain GOTM Staff

I totally understand, Rusten. It's been difficult finding time for Civ for me lately.

Played 11t. I intended to build another phalanx, but decided against it after our spear won that one battle. Gifted copper to Mansa instead. Athens completed the granary and built a settler. Sparta finished that one worker, then built another, while popping the first GS. It's starting on another worker, though that could change now that the GS is out. Corinth did library, then WB for Argos, then a warrior.

Research was set to Myst-Medi-PH. 2t into it, I saw Mansa teching COL, but decided to stick with the PH line. Monarchy next is as good as Aesthetics, as I have no clue what he'll research next. As it turns out, he went for Math, so might go Currency after. He's teching pretty fast, it seems. I guess 'cause he's boxed in.

The exploring WB found some little islands in the NW, but no sign of other intelligent life forms as yet.

I had to deal with one more archer afterwards, which slowed me down exploring in the south. There is a site with 2 FP and 2 desert hill golds, but no food visible yet. Ragnar's city in the west has the jungle pig in its second radius, so I'm not sure where we wanna settle there. Hill is better for defence, but the city sucks if we can't get the pig in borders. The jungle to the south is pretty seriously lacking in food.

Spoiler :

Attached Files:

7. mystyfly

OK that would make me up it seems, got it.

Attempt at new roster:

Rusten - gone (for now)
    Ras - still kicking
    shyuhe - ?
    lymond - ?
    bbp - just played
    mysty - UP
    Thrar - ?

8. shyuhe

shyuhe Chieftain

I'm still around :lol:

9. lymond

lymond Rise Up! Hall of Fame Staff

I'm here too...let's keep this one going

10. mystyfly

We have two shortterm tech goals, CoL for caste and monarchy for HR. Since we're halfway trough monarchy we'll stick to that. I'd have preferred to stay at zero slider until the GS is done and build an academy in athenes, instead of some bulb. Do you guys still want the academy even though we can maintain only 4t @ 100% atm? Activate trade-whore mode as sooon as available I think.

Another settler in athenes sounds fine, though I'd prefer to grow on MP units first. The current settler could go to the west for the copper/pigs spot. The new settler could go south for any good spot there might be. Sparta and maybe corinth on worker mode sounds good.

Roster
    Rusten - gone (for now)
    Ras - on deck
    shyuhe
    lymond
    bbp - just played
    mysty - UP
    Thrar - ?

11. RRRaskolnikov

RRRaskolnikov Goldfish

Academy: no for me. Bulbing philo should be better now.

Settling the copper/pig might design us as land target asa our border pops so I am not sure.
    In the south, it seems to me we need to get a couple of cities along that river, even if it's kinda short on resources except the 2 gold in the extreme edge of the river.

We can prolly have IW in 7 turns backfilling so I would try to send both settler south (we might want to delay settlement untill we have IW though).

Honnestly it's hard choices since the land sucks before we remove jungle and we need to avoid Ragnar's dow. But later one getting all the land behind the river should enable good prospects.

12. babybluepants

I turned on the slider so we can potentially get a trade. It's questionable, I know.

Academy does sound best to me. We have gold, and we'll be running a couple of Sci at least. Plus, this is a relatively slow game, with little in the way of trading. We should get another GS quickly anyway.

I'm not really sure about settling. Even with IW that jungle doesn't look too great. Copper/pig is in his face, but we'll be LT pretty quickly by settling jungle, as well.

13. lymond

lymond Rise Up! Hall of Fame Staff

Yep...we should have another GS in time for Philo. I like the Academy too.

14. mystyfly

Lymonds and bbps arguments outweight arguments for bulbing, I'll go with academy.

Not 100% sure on settling. I think we'll be land targets pretty soon anyway and the land down south really does suck for now. I'll do more scouting that way but I'm not sure settling the first city there is good. We can get out another 2 settlers quickly. What do the others think of that?

Plan to play in a ~6hrs.

15. RRRaskolnikov

RRRaskolnikov Goldfish

Go ahead! Getting the next city down in the jungle might be risky. Maybe you can split your set so we can discuss the trading once monarchy is done, before u go on a bit?

16. shyuhe

shyuhe Chieftain

We're going to become Ragnar's target soon or later, so we need to make sure our border city is on a hill.

17. mystyfly

That was my thought as well shyuhe but IIRC that's not gonna happen with pig/copper site and might be a bit much to ask for any southern city, should we find a decent spot at all.

I've been somewhat sick for about a week but it's gotten worse now, I'm heading for an early night. Hope it's ok if I play tmr.

18. mystyfly

Played 10 pretty eventful turns

(IHT)
    Move GS towards athenes, research to zero.
    Crack the whip twice IIRC.

(1)
    Slider to 100%, build academy in athenes.

Rags shows up with a settling party near pig/copper spot. No need to wait to mine it then :p

Move scouting WB and run into....

... toku, of all people. He only knows one of the other AIs, MM IIRC though not sure...

(2)-(3)
    Build some workers, move some units.

(4)
    Rags enters WHEOOH. Nobody is his WE. We share exactly 1 tile of border. Rags is MM's WE btw.

(6)
    Settler arrives down south. Found another source of pigs and I figure we need it to work both gold tiles even if we split it to two cities. Plus that tile NE looks like it has some resource.

As you can see, Monarchy was done as well. I was wanting to wait with switching until the tech deals are done or we run into :mad:.

(8)
    MM is finally ready to teach us ABC

I selected currency as a placeholder. Nobody has it, COL is already known to MM. Neither rags nor toku are techtrading (big surprise there).

Rags settling party showed up west of knossos, probably going for the double fish spot I marked. He didn't settle yet though. BTW at some point I also gifted him fish.

----

Without IW we have more than enough workers now.

Another settler is in the jungle between knossos and our homeland, intended for double-fish. Now I'd suggest having him sit around there waiting until rags shows up with a settler and then found a blocking city. We're at +2gpt @ 0% btw so currency and building wealth would be nice.

We just won the copper tile "near" corinth so our warrior builds switched to spears :(

I am intending to use that woody phalanx to scout rags and hopefully find his WE to the left of him :p

The scouting WB was blocked by toku at some point so headed back a little, now down south. Found 2 barb cities btw.

Attached Files:

19. babybluepants

Damn, this game is pretty rough.

We can't exactly defend both Corinth and Knossos. I guess Corinth is the far more likely target, correct? Our existing units are kinda far. It would be especially nice to get the Combat3 Phalanx back in time. We should maybe chop the forest 1NW of Corinth, in case we can counter on that tile later.

Mansa's sword is doing a great job of fogbusting for us. :lol:

No idea what to research next. Currency sounds about as good as anything. With Ragnar and Toku, we're kinda screwed for catching up. Hopefully, Toku meets Mansa soon and we can at least get IW.

20. kossin

kossin Chieftain

EP on MM while fighting the rest of the world :p