BOTM 01 Pre-Game Discussion

My intuition tells me that if we had seafood 1 tile to the south from the coast we wopuld have had a blue circle on the starting tile; and if we had seafood 2S from the coast, we would have had a blue circle on top of one of the hills. That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation. But that may be wrong. Perhaps the safest way is just moving the scout as killercane said, especially since the land to the NW doesn't look very promising for exploration.QUOTE]

so, how do we add bruhic's last patch to the hof mod?

From playing the test games and the limited time I've messed around with BTS it sure seems like the AI has a soso to bad beginning game (build order mainly) and then comes roaring out at 500BC-1000AD with abandon. This is sort of a contrast to them having a relatively ok open and then sort of getting bogged down in the AD/BC change in vanilla.

I didn't see anything about random events in the game description. Does that imply it's just a free for all and whatever happens, to use a golf term, is just rub of the green? I've been practicing a little, and the tornadoes whipping out full grown towns, and hurricanes taking out multiple buildings is somewhat annoying. Is there some RNG that balances out positive random events with the negative ones?

2. Settle on top of the ivory, learn mining->BW, stay at size one, mine the pigs
By stay at size one do you mean build wkrs/settlers at first, while chopping or is there some other significance?
Warrior rush is another opening to consider.
Moving the settler and scout a couple of turns might get a better settling site AND make the warrior rush more effective, assuming we can find a 4 or 5:hammers: site, right? (Since the warriors don't have to travel so far)

it sure seems like the AI has a soso to bad beginning game (build order mainly) and then comes roaring out at 500BC-1000AD with abandon.
Good news - That's what a human player looks like! Could it be true that the AI really was improved?

BTW, for the intercontinental thing, i've tried colonies, and they're useful.

I am new to the whole vassals concept. Please help me.

1.- Colonies are just like vassals?
2.- If you want to avoid a domination win, does setting some colonies free help?
3.- Can you do the same if they are not intercontinental?

@Jesusin:

1. Colonies are vassals that love you and cannot become independent. To set one up, you must found(or conquer) at least two cities on a different landmass than your capital

2. Colonies can help you, and they will research whatever you tell them to research just as a vassal would. Additionally, their land will count only 1/2 for you, just as it does for regular vassals...so yes, it will help avoid domination without having to gift cities to your enemies

3. Nope...they have to be on a different continent/landmass than your central empire(I believe your capital is what determines it)

I would add to what Thrallia well explained, that the usefulness of colonies is not only intended in this way, but also (perhaps mainly) in the way they help your economy: in BtS you got a sort of penalty for overseas cities, and this can ruin the best economy.

And about improved AI:
in my few games, i find they're always behind in tech, and fight in a ridicoluos way, building ships when you attack.
For what i have seen, it seems the levels are dropped by 1 compared to Warlords (if you play at Monarch, you're actually playing Prince).
Please note: just a bunch of games, not dozens.

Quote @Erkon: challenger, bla bla, bragging, bla bla...

Playing challenger goes against my convictions because:

1.- I don't want to see 2 groups of people whose games are not comparable at all (Adventurer is ok, not so many people play it and they soon stop doing so).
2.- I am not a top player.
3.- It makes winning awards more difficult.
4.- I have never played Warlords, so I don't know what a vassal is, or a GG, or things like that.
5.- I have only played 2 games of BTS, cultural and AP, so I don't know how to fight, what a corporation is or what the use of a spy is.
6.- I don't have time to play a practice game.
7.- It takes away a characteristic of the leader you are playing, its intial techs.

...but I am in a strange mood this days. You can count me in, at least this month.

EDIT: Thank you very much, @Thrallia and @BLubmuz.

2.- I am not a top player.

Yeah, right. Lets take a look at the Pantheon of Heroes, GOTM awards, shall we? Lets see. You're not a top player, so lets start at the bottom... Hmm, can't find you there :confused: . Perhaps you have more than one award? Oops, there I am! Three awards :D. But still no jesusin. Perhaps I was wrong, perhaps you don't have any awards at all :cry: Surely, you can't have more awards than me, can you? Can you! Oh my god, EIGHT AWARDS! :eek: :eek: :eek:

jesusin

You've got more awards than A'AbarachAmadan, Balbes, Grey Cardinal, and Lawrence. And if you count fastest finishes, you are alone on the top, since Lexad had the cow (excuse the pun ;) ). Now, by the grace of God, can you please tell me what it takes to join the group of Top Players? :scared:

4.- I have never played Warlords, so I don't know what a vassal is, or a GG, or things like that.

After you play a few full games of BtS, you'll wish you'd bought Warlords long ago to be able to play with those features ;)

2. Colonies can help you, and they will research whatever you tell them to research just as a vassal would.
This was news to me. How do you tell them to research something particular? In WOTM 14 I constantly kept my fingers crossed for Augustus to pick a tech I wanted for research...

How do you tell them to research something particular?
In diplomacy tell Let's discuss something else -> We want you to research...

Gee, look at that! :D Thanks a lot Lexad. :)

Nice. Been checking by middle of every month for ages waiting for BtS. It's too much better to handle the earlier ones anymore.

Dream on, baby :pat:

But I've only played BtS once, and it was very different from Vanilla/Warlords. The maintenance cost of overseas cities will make a domination game very different. I'll have to spend some time on the strategy forum to catch up those of you who have played BtS before. :mischief:
I dun mind your trademarked bragging, but dun play this type of card after baiting them all into challenger lol. I played 4 online games of BTS with you last couple months alone. Have never come close to losing one of our MPs, though have never beat you in GotM. Mebbe you are SP prodigy, np, but dun pretend you are BTS n00b after baiting so many to play it (baiting part is not a bad thing, or alternative is dun play MP under same name with same personality and phrases if you intend to lie :p).

Contender for me. Got sick of losing close ones on Challenger when there never seemed any credit for the handicap. After 5 or so, felt as much fun and pointless as just starting contender and skipping your first 20 turns would be.
Be interesting and worthwhile for me if everyone who was experienced did it, but so far that has never been the case and didn't find game play comparisons quite as interesting reading as a result. I play GotMs to see how different approaches worked out, but challenger changes your starting strats so much that given the huge snowball impact of early game decisions, challenger with so few to compare just watered down the worthwhile info. Will go back to challenger games if it gains some popularity.

@Jesusin:

1. Colonies are vassals that love you and cannot become independent. To set one up, you must found(or conquer) at least two cities on a different landmass than your capital

Colonies CAN become independent just like vassels. However it takes some seriously bad moves to get that colony bonus negated into caution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker View Post
so, how do we add bruhic's last patch to the hof mod?
You have to go back to regular 3.13. Bhruic's fixes are automatically included in the HoF mod.

I believe it's not the updated bruhic's patch

Top Bottom