[BTS] BOTM 219: Lincoln, Emperor - Final Spoiler - Game Submitted

Having started elepult on Darius I finished him off on turn 126. Foolishly allowed him to snipe his capital back a turn or two from the end of the war which was a minor disaster.

During the war with Darius I built HE in my capital and slowly ground out TGL and NE in Philadelphia (city 1N of silk) - was a bit touch and go with my economy at times walking a tightrope where any gap in capture gold would have led to my army being disbanded and it all falling apart - pillaged some improvements which I should be in a better habit of doing but tend to neglect. Used a tactical turn of anarchy and spent 1 turn in strike and wrung out some fail gold from HE to just about squeeze through.

Once HE was built capital did nothing but build units for the rest of the game.

Buddied up to Sumeria with HR and Buddhism (until he switched to Hinduism) and HR with Portugal meaning I could beg off both them and China before DOW on Pacal T133 with 12 elephants and 12 catapults.

Got a bit dicey towards the end of Mayan war as everybody suddenly got feudalism and my catapults became useless. Hadn't realised it was no vassals and couldn't work out why Pacal didn't capitulate to me - I mistakenly traded for feudalism myself thinking this might be the issue giving a little unneeded nudge to the global tech race. Think there might have been a peace treaty somewhere in there but finished Pacal T164.

My economy had more or less ground to a halt about halfway through the war with Darius with engineering seeming a mile away. Once I had compass done I made a play of bulbing both MC and machinery despite the AI having both (abusing philosophical trait and TGL for all they're worth) and finally getting engineering and then beurocracy with the aid of a lot of chops into failgolding Pyramids and MoM in a few cities. This is more or less where my teching stopped for the whole game.

Turned my army straight around from Maya and DOW'd China T168 with 24 trebuchets, 7 catapults and 17 elephants having begged from Portugal the turn before (Sumeria refused by beg.) From here on in I just whipped/built trebuchets and a few more elephants and kept grinding through China, then Sumeria. Did DOW Portugal but didn't have time to take a city before I won. I've no idea what constitutes a good date on this map but the pedant in me would have enjoyed finishing a couple of turns earlier to be sub T200.

Spoiler Attacking China :
Civ4ScreenShot0012.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0013.JPG

Anyway, thanks for the map @DynamicSpirit . I enjoyed playing emperor and getting out of my standard setup of all normal settings NHNE panagea. I don't think I've ever built so many trebuchets or abandoned my teching so early in the tech tree!

Spoiler Final unit count and tech tree :
Civ4ScreenShot0010.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0016.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0015.JPG

Nice going @5tephen ! Love the treb count. :D
With enough siege anything is possible, even world domination! And jumbos are sooo strong!

Having started elepult on Darius I finished him off on turn 126. Foolishly allowed him to snipe his capital back a turn or two from the end of the war which was a minor disaster.

During the war with Darius I built HE in my capital and slowly ground out TGL and NE in Philadelphia (city 1N of silk) - was a bit touch and go with my economy at times walking a tightrope where any gap in capture gold would have led to my army being disbanded and it all falling apart - pillaged some improvements which I should be in a better habit of doing but tend to neglect. Used a tactical turn of anarchy and spent 1 turn in strike and wrung out some fail gold from HE to just about squeeze through.

Once HE was built capital did nothing but build units for the rest of the game.

Buddied up to Sumeria with HR and Buddhism (until he switched to Hinduism) and HR with Portugal meaning I could beg off both them and China before DOW on Pacal T133 with 12 elephants and 12 catapults.

Got a bit dicey towards the end of Mayan war as everybody suddenly got feudalism and my catapults became useless. Hadn't realised it was no vassals and couldn't work out why Pacal didn't capitulate to me - I mistakenly traded for feudalism myself thinking this might be the issue giving a little unneeded nudge to the global tech race. Think there might have been a peace treaty somewhere in there but finished Pacal T164.

My economy had more or less ground to a halt about halfway through the war with Darius with engineering seeming a mile away. Once I had compass done I made a play of bulbing both MC and machinery despite the AI having both (abusing philosophical trait and TGL for all they're worth) and finally getting engineering and then beurocracy with the aid of a lot of chops into failgolding Pyramids and MoM in a few cities. This is more or less where my teching stopped for the whole game.

Turned my army straight around from Maya and DOW'd China T168 with 24 trebuchets, 7 catapults and 17 elephants having begged from Portugal the turn before (Sumeria refused by beg.) From here on in I just whipped/built trebuchets and a few more elephants and kept grinding through China, then Sumeria. Did DOW Portugal but didn't have time to take a city before I won. I've no idea what constitutes a good date on this map but the pedant in me would have enjoyed finishing a couple of turns earlier to be sub T200.

Anyway, thanks for the map @DynamicSpirit . I enjoyed playing emperor and getting out of my standard setup of all normal settings NHNE panagea. I don't think I've ever built so many trebuchets or abandoned my teching so early in the tech tree!

Spoiler Final unit count and tech tree :
Welcome! Good game, good write-ups!

Mao looked like too much work, so I since my elepults were going to conquer everything north and west of me, I started libraries and thought maybe space or something peaceful.
But then Mao attacked me! I was gonna retire, but Mao didn't bring a spear, so I was able to mow down a lot of cats and chariots and a few others. Suddenly Mao looked beatable.
I rushed a couple elephants in to take away his iron (to prevent spears) and get to his Ivory before he got Construction/HBR for his own elephants.
He built Horse archers since that was his best unit and they are a joke against elephants.
So now with 60+% of the land, I figured I'd at least go to Biology/farm for score. Ended up going for Sushi too.
I knew there was more land that needed Astro cus simple math says it had to exist. So that was an easy way to trigger domination peacefully.

Last edited:
Hi

I am trying to upload my finish save file. The system gives me the error the deadline has passed (as stated in the opening thread, on 20th sept. of course).

I thought I was allowed to upload before the final results were published even if the deadline passed. This was my 1st BOTM. I did play a few sgotms in the past, and I was not aware the individual part of the GOTM was so strict. sorry.

The 'send a PM' part on the upload web service doesn't seem to work, so I am typing here.

OK, even if it doesn't get accepted, I did a 1480 domination. Not too spectacular I guess. Will be careful with the upload dates next time. (I would really appreciate the game being accepted :D )

Cheers

Hi WW. Nope, deadline's is deadlines, so you can't submit. But congratulations on finishing, and I'm sure people would be interested to hear about your game and your thoughts on playing BOTMs.

Hi

I am trying to upload my finish save file. The system gives me the error the deadline has passed (as stated in the opening thread, on 20th sept. of course).

I thought I was allowed to upload before the final results were published even if the deadline passed. This was my 1st BOTM. I did play a few sgotms in the past, and I was not aware the individual part of the GOTM was so strict. sorry.

The 'send a PM' part on the upload web service doesn't seem to work, so I am typing here.

OK, even if it doesn't get accepted, I did a 1480 domination. Not too spectacular I guess. Will be careful with the upload dates next time. (I would really appreciate the game being accepted :D )

Cheers

Sorry to hear you missed the deadline. Unfortunately, as @Xcalibrator says, you can't generally submit after the deadline. We have stuff to do between the competition closing and the results being announced, which wouldn't work very well if games were still coming in, plus we have to consider that allowing late entries isn't really fair on people who made efforts to submit on time, possibly playing in a hurry and so making mistakes in their game in order to finish before the deadline. We've occasionally accepted late games - but it's generally only if someone has a very good reason and is only marginally late - it's not something we try to encourage. But do still feel free to discuss your game in the spoiler threads - and hope to see you competing next time! And welcome to GOTM! :)

As far as PM not working - I wasn't aware of any issues with that. Can you be more specific about what's not working? If it's any help, you can always contact the mapmaker at any time by sending a PM in the usual way from these forums, without using the GOTM upload page.

Top Bottom