Bottleneck Techs

OK, Tbrd's comments make me a little more sold on the idea of start-of-era bottleneck techs. I still have my concern about locking in the era structure, though, mainly because I think it could be better, but at least I understand why it is needed.

And the old argument was that Animal Riding should have taken care of all the various Mount Domestication. Cause you could say the same about Horse and Elephants if you don't have access to them either. But that would require you to later, when you did get access, to go back and research an old Tech that could be as much a 2 eras behind you. So that argument doesn't hold much water with me.

An SP game I am currently playing - just about to get to "Sed Life" , but I have to research Camel/Horse/Elephant etc.domestication first.

WHY? My Civ knows nothing of these animals. What is wrong in going back in the tech tree once you encounter them. Even if it is one or two era's ago.

You may as well say you must research every religion wether you want it or not - even if it has been founded.

I can get behind that. I like this thinking too. I don't think the intent of a gateway tech for entering an era should at all be about eliminating this element of tech progression.

Please don't have dead end techs unless its a "Punk" or Religion tech. Even if its a requirement for a tech 4 eras later I would like to make it so all techs eventually need to be researched if you want to do "Analyze Strings" at the every end.

For instance maybe make Camel Domestication be a requirement for Zoology or some crazy far off tech. As long as it eventually is a requirement for something.

EDIT: In short i would rather combine Elephant Domestication, Equine Domestication and Camel Domestication, etc into on single tech before we would add in dead end techs like that.

Last edited:
Well... what's the problem with this exactly?

None really but then it screws up the Tech rate for Eras and game speeds. Already the balance I was trying to achieve and you seemed to like is being eroded.

But my main point was all the Domestication Techs for Riding animals could've been covered by the Tech Animal Riding. But no one complains about Horse riding if they don't have the horse resource nor elephants, but they do over camels? And we have so many maps that have much more desert than ever before. So I find this part of the argument/debate superfluous. And at it's best just a tangent, actually more of a rabbit trail.

JosEPh

I second Hydro's remarks. Typically if one has to go back two eras to research an old tech that is needed for something, it should be very fast to research anyway.

To that end, I note that Mountaineering and Coast Guard don't lead to anything.

Yes. Also having a single tech at the start of each era could provide an easier way to play later eras from the start of your game. Something people rarely do.
This is also a good point.

An SP game I am currently playing - just about to get to "Sed Life" , but I have to research Camel/Horse/Elephant etc.domestication first.

WHY? My Civ knows nothing of these animals. What is wrong in going back in the tech tree once you encounter them. Even if it is one or two era's ago.

You may as well say you must research every religion wether you want it or not - even if it has been founded.
I completely agree with this. For that matter, why would a civilization need to learn any sort of animal riding at all, particularly if it is coming up in a zone or planet where no ridable animals exist? Think outside the box and really consider what is absolutely necessary for a tech to be developed is my philosophy. That said, I AM in strong support of gateway techs to eras. I just don't think their point should be to enforce that so much of the previous era is required. If a civilization could be imagined to not need to develop a tech, why enforce that it would need to?

For instance maybe make Camel Domestication be a requirement for Zoology or some crazy far off tech. As long as it eventually is a requirement for something.

EDIT: In short i would rather combine Elephant Domestication, Equine Domestication and Camel Domestication, etc into on single tech before we would add in dead end techs like that.
I quite like that each of them are unnecessary. When playing the game, I find that I want to take those techs when I have access to making them worthwhile and when I don't, I don't see why I should have to. Another example is Leadworking or Sericulture. If I don't have lead or silk in my borders, I would argue I shouldn't even be ABLE to research these techs! Far from requiring them for further development UNLESS there's a very solid reason that one of these be a prerequisite for a tech.

Why? For the sense of immersion and logic. We are creating a game that's much like a story. The more logically a story progresses, the more one can suspend disbelief in the fiction. The more logically the game progresses, the more we can suspend disbelief in the fiction of this alternative Earth development that the game tells in its playing.

None really but then it screws up the Tech rate for Eras and game speeds. Already the balance I was trying to achieve and you seemed to like is being eroded.
Hard to say how much it does. If it's well thought out I don't think it would do much to create too strong a variance in development rate. It appears the political winds in the mod are shifting to a much deeper restructure. Wouldn't be the first time we've had to retool things. Suffice it to say I have faith in your ability to keep the mod adapting to new territory, regardless of the tech tree approaches we use. I don't think it's right to be able to shoot through an era too quickly, no, but I can also see why one should be able to ignore factors that are not universal to the development of all civilizations. I'm confident we can find a balance here.

But my main point was all the Domestication Techs for Riding animals could've been covered by the Tech Animal Riding. But no one complains about Horse riding if they don't have the horse resource nor elephants, but they do over camels? And we have so many maps that have much more desert than ever before. So I find this part of the argument/debate superfluous. And at it's best just a tangent, actually more of a rabbit trail.
Could've been but why should they have been? For that matter, is it always necessary for a civilization to even develop the ability to ride an animal at all? Doesn't the distraction to take your local resources and make them more useful to your people warrant the research time as a side discourse before heading for the next era?

I don't think it should always be considered a 'good' thing to get into the next era. The obsoletions and increases in some difficulty factors should warrant some cause to hesitate. Sure, make it powerful for the first to get there as a reward for shooting there quickly, but it should also make it a little harder in ways.

Typically if one has to go back two eras to research an old tech that is needed for something, it should be very fast to research anyway.
It tends to be because you are taking advantage of deeper development, but if the era is designed well, it might be faster and more effective to get those techs earlier if they are beneficial to get them.

Personally, I think it should be a matter of having to qualify to get some of these techs. If you don't have poultry in your nation anywhere, why should you be able to try to domesticate poultry?

To that end, I note that Mountaineering and Coast Guard don't lead to anything.
Perfect examples. Why would a civilization that knows nothing of mountainous terrain ever develop mountaineering? Why would a nation with no coasts (all land on the map is not that uncommon) ever need to research Coast Guard, or all the other naval techs for that matter?

I think it would be better if era advancement increased the cost of all techs belonging to earlier eras.
Reaching ancient era increases cost of all techs in prehistoric by 175%.
Reaching classical era increases cost of all techs in ancient era by 175%, and the techs from prehistoric that have already been raised by 175% once will be raised by 175% yet again.
For us to figure out how stuff was done far back in time can cost a lot of resources and time, probably a lot more than what was originally invested into figuring these things out by early man.
Still, if techs at current era takes 10 turns to get, then techs from two eras back shouldn't take more than 1-3 turns.

That way if you beeline for sedentary lifestyle you are penalized when going back to pick up prehistoric techs that you might need.
Combined with getting a free tech for being first to enter an era, that would really twist the noodle on making for an interesting decision indeed. I like it... now... how to implement it. I think it would have to be a dll enforced rule. Probably applied in the final calculating of the tech costs.

<deleted>

JosEPh

Last edited:
The effect might need to decrease for each era as tech costs increase in an exponential way through the tech tree.

Wouldn't that just increase the gap between "old" and "new" tech? And if you are concerned about that, the main problem seems to be that the exponential increase is tied to the column, whereas the tech cost increase is tied to the era - and era "width" is not at all constant.

I quite like that each of them are unnecessary. When playing the game, I find that I want to take those techs when I have access to making them worthwhile and when I don't, I don't see why I should have to. Another example is Leadworking or Sericulture. If I don't have lead or silk in my borders, I would argue I shouldn't even be ABLE to research these techs! Far from requiring them for further development UNLESS there's a very solid reason that one of these be a prerequisite for a tech.

Why? For the sense of immersion and logic. We are creating a game that's much like a story. The more logically a story progresses, the more one can suspend disbelief in the fiction. The more logically the game progresses, the more we can suspend disbelief in the fiction of this alternative Earth development that the game tells in its playing.

This is why I am suggesting that they are required later down the line as a tech requirement. In eras where such techs would be world wide knowledge. Either through say colonization times or globalization times. However it is not as easy to unravel what we have in place. I can work on making earlier specific resource techs less needed, but I want to make sure other techs are not getting broken because of it. Likewise I want to make sure alternative solutions to techs are presented early on. For example Requiring Oil Lamps OR Candle Making.

I know the tech tree better than most since I worked on it over again over again. I would like to have a chance to fix past weaknesses in the tech tree. And help both improve it and add on to it.

Perfect examples. Why would a civilization that knows nothing of mountainous terrain ever develop mountaineering? Why would a nation with no coasts (all land on the map is not that uncommon) ever need to research Coast Guard, or all the other naval techs for that matter?

Like is aid above however eventually knowledge about these subjects would be needed for other techs. For example knowing Mountaineering can help for later techs like Volcanology, Modern Seismology, Climate Models, etc.so you might not have mountains in your empire but the earthquakes or climate systems of your neighbors may influence you. Look even within C2C itself and pollution where mountains naturally block pollution.Imagine if there was a mountain outside your borders which was blocking the spread of pollution. Knowing more about mountains would greatly help here.

Not to mention what if a player imports a resource though trade?

Like is aid above however eventually knowledge about these subjects would be needed for other techs. For example knowing Mountaineering can help for later techs like Volcanology, Modern Seismology, Climate Models, etc.so you might not have mountains in your empire but the earthquakes or climate systems of your neighbors may influence you. Look even within C2C itself and pollution where mountains naturally block pollution.Imagine if there was a mountain outside your borders which was blocking the spread of pollution. Knowing more about mountains would greatly help here.
You make some good points, as long as there is logic behind the tech requirement, I'm okay with it.
Not to mention what if a player imports a resource though trade?
If you want to trade for camels from your neighbor, then you have a very good reason to invent the camel domestication tech, it is even possible to have the tech require a building that is given for free if you have access to the camel bonus.
To me it is fine to have camel domestication be a dead end tech (nothing else require it) without a building requirement.

Last edited:
The width of an era and the variance in tech cost found within an era seems to me completely irrelevant to what I'm suggesting above.

The width of an era shows you how much the "current" techs increase in cost, since that is connected to the column. So... if you want to balance this with the "old" techs the respective "era width" is exactly what you need to take into consideration.

<deleted> :old: fool's rant over a wrong modifier usage.

Last edited:
@JosEPh_II: I have nothing against the current system, and I certainly don't have anything against your work. What you have done here is great, and if a massive rework of the tech tree happens now (which seems to be the case if I have understood some people here correctly), such a system change right now would be counterproductive anyway - this is far too strongly coupled as far as I can see.

You had already proposed a changing Tech Era Factor, and that would be really necessary. Because the "current techs" don't scale by era, but by column. If you have a constant Tech Era Factor, you have the same change for the (narrow) Medieval Era and for the (vast) Transhuman Era. This cannot be right. Instead, you should look at the "width" of an era and scale the Tech Era Factor with that width, so you could get (roughly - the change is only applied per era after all) the same change to the old techs you get for the respective current techs.

So this is not (TEF)^[#eras], but rather PROD TEF(i) - this might already be what you meant, but I would say a good result could be reached with TEF(i) = const * width(i) [or perhaps width(i-1), that could also be tried].

<deleted>

Sorry Hydro I give back your thread.

JosEPh

Last edited:
They already do this. Why try to re-invent a new system when a relatively new one is already in place? There is no need for this proposal.
I don't think you're understanding his proposal. He's saying:
Let's say you skipped some techs, like Poultry Domestication, in the Prehistoric before taking Sedentary Lifestyle.

Currently, there may be a step up in all tech costs once you enter the Ancient, but it applies to ALL techs, not just those in Prehistoric.

What he's suggesting is that by taking Sedentary Lifestyle, perhaps at that point all prehistoric techs should immediately increase in cost for you because you skipped them and went to the next era. Thus once you've gotten in and raided the next era for a lot of the research bonuses that are opened up in techs there, then you turn around and research those older techs you left behind, the amount you spend in research overall on those techs you skipped costs more so as to make them cost something more similar to any other tech you could research at the cutting x-grid edge you're at.

This could help to enforce that the rounds you skipped by not researching Poultry Domestication aren't sped through later because you raced forward to grab more research bonuses from the next era, which would HELP you in your efforts to guage the expected turn length of a given era so the game dating adheres a bit more to expectations.

It would also make the choice to move forward into the next era one you may want to be a bit more reluctant to do right away because the techs in your current era stay much cheaper in research costs if you take them before you breach into the next era.

Each tech is assigned a "research" cost per era (already in game).
It's not per era. The base research cost is currently assigned by the x-grid. According to this chart: Modder's Documentation

If you notice on that chart there is a flat increase that props up the base cost with each new era but each grid is exponentially growing as well. I can show you a better breakdown of how these costs were assigned. It's a mathematically derived process and not arbitrary.

@Hydro: Please note that changing the x-grid location of a tech should immediately change the base cost of the tech as well according to that linked chart! Your last grid changes did not adjust the costs of the techs or the buildings or units those techs unlock, as they should. This is not an automatic process in the code (though I should strongly consider making it one, lol)

Each Era adjusts the research rate.
As for an overall Era adjustment, apparently there are 2. One I knew about and one I did not...

I agree, therefore I would suggest removing one or both of these two tags from the erainfo xml.
<iResearchPercent>100</iResearchPercent> (value of 100 means no change to tech cost)
<!-- Do Not Use/Change! BBAI start: effectively modify cost for all techs from this era. Default: 18 -->
<iTechCostModifier>65</iTechCostModifier> (Value of 0 means no change to tech cost)

The latter one doesn't affect techs from earlier eras, and I think it stacks with the same modifier for the later eras.
Its function is more or less the complete opposite to what I'm proposing.
It can be good for making a wholesale change to all techs within an era without having to change them all individually, this is something we have done heavily with this tag in C2C, so removing the tag would be an headache as all techs would have to have their cost changed individually.
It modifies the cost of techs within its era when you start the game so this modifier won't make any changes to any tech costs mid-game at an era transition, the calculation was made for all techs the moment you started the game.

The former is the one that makes, imo, the least sense to keep as we have it at 100% for all eras except for the transhuman era when all techs suddenly only cost 80% of their usual value. I don't really see the logic in changing the cost of all techs based on eras.
This one (iResearchPercent) change the beaker cost of all techs mid-game when you reach an era transition.
The first is in place to ensure that if our base charted value assignments are increasing at a rate too fast or too slow for the amount of research bonuses that are being accessed in the game that we can start to adjust the costs of techs across the eras to balance out against that research income development. I'm finding in the US MP game, for example, that the late classical/medieval era techs are being torn through far too fast because the amassing of missionary and other religious sources of research gets massive pretty quickly at this point. Thus, if I were to, in playtesting on current assets, find the same thing still applies, I might increase the Medieval era tech costs because I find there's an unusual amount of unexpected research income increase leading up to and into and through that era... and maybe beyond as well so perhaps even Rennaissance would need a bit of an increase.

I did not realize we weren't currently zeroed out on that variable but that's fine. Are they all currently the same though throughout the eras? That I'm curious about. The amount of necessary variation is the measure of how well the incremental increases in the base chart are appropriate.

The second one... I can see why you'd think to remove that one. Easier to just leave them all at 100%. There may be a discovered purpose for it later. Somebody put it in place for some reason. Maybe the 80% when reaching transhuman is to reflect that all techs get easier to research some because of the better data processing during that era or something.

In eras where such techs would be world wide knowledge.
In a world without lead anywhere, how would lead working ever become world-wide knowledge? Just an example. What happens in that world? Does it end up being limited never progressing past a point in the tech tree? How necessary IS lead, really? A well thought out tech tree allows this to be reflected imo. And that's for most all resource reliant techs. The tech should have the resource as a prerequisite (and I can build that out specifically if it would make things easier to consider, though the proxy building prereq someone else mentioned is already possible.)

I can work on making earlier specific resource techs less needed, but I want to make sure other techs are not getting broken because of it. Likewise I want to make sure alternative solutions to techs are presented early on. For example Requiring Oil Lamps OR Candle Making.
I agree completely that if a tech shouldn't ABSOLUTELY require one potential solution to get to that tech, that should be considered. For example: How many other ways can we conceive of a tech being reached if, say, there are no oceans or seas to justify taking large ship naval techs? Would that really hold us up from later game technologies? Probably not so what is the alternative tech prerequisites?

OR is a big thing to consider in this.

For example knowing Mountaineering can help for later techs like Volcanology, Modern Seismology, Climate Models, etc.so you might not have mountains in your empire but the earthquakes or climate systems of your neighbors may influence you. Look even within C2C itself and pollution where mountains naturally block pollution.Imagine if there was a mountain outside your borders which was blocking the spread of pollution. Knowing more about mountains would greatly help here.
What if your civilization was developing on a planet with no mountains? At all? I could see how Mountaineering would never be a tech until maybe they get off world and encounter mountainous terrains, but would it really stop scientists from figuring out how climate systems and weather patterns work just because we never figure out how to traverse mountainous terrains?

If you want to trade for camels from your neighbor, then you have a very good reason to invent the camel domestication tech, it is even possible to have the tech require a building that is given for free if you have access to the camel bonus.
To me it is fine to have camel domestication be a dead end tech (nothing else require it) without a building requirement.
Exactly. Even better if we can require that you have access to camel resources before you can research the finer points of camel domestication imo. I'd quite like to create such a resource prereq tag.

The current system does not do this. Perhaps if you actually played a game or 2 on even Normal GS you would have a better idea of how it works now.
No, it doesn't. That's why he's proposing it. Which would make certain balancing factors easier to guage, as discussed above.

What does this operator mean in your expression?

Instead, you should look at the "width" of an era and scale the Tech Era Factor with that width, so you could get (roughly - the change is only applied per era after all) the same change to the old techs you get for the respective current techs.
I get your point but if we are adjusting the previous eras by a unique percentage for that era, the human brain calculator can be used to establish that variable rather than trying to build it into the code inherrently.

@Hydro: Please note that changing the x-grid location of a tech should immediately change the base cost of the tech as well according to that linked chart! Your last grid changes did not adjust the costs of the techs or the buildings or units those techs unlock, as they should. This is not an automatic process in the code (though I should strongly consider making it one, lol)

that would be cool if it automatically did. First of all they did not move far so I did not think the balance was all that off. And also this was just to clean up the tree. If we are thinking about reworking that part of the tree then there will be a lot of moving going on anyways. And it might not be their final location.

Top Bottom