Brave New World's 9 new Civs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morocco is a good choice, but whether or not its contributions exceed that of Hungary's depend on whether or not you include al-Andalus in the definition.

I would argue Morocco alone could be compared to Hungary. If we included Al-Andalus, then there would be no contest.
Just my opinion:)

Can we please make a list of civilizations that cannot be in BNW? Due to city states, etc.

Armenia
Belgium
Colombia
Gran Colombia
Italy
Kongo
Lithuania
Romania
Serbia
South Africa
Vietnam
Yugoslavia

So many that I can't list them all ...

Can we please make a list of civilizations that cannot be in BNW? Due to city states, etc.

Alright, let me try:
Switzerland (Geneva)
Monaco
Saxony I believe (Wittenberg)
Israel or Palestine (Jerusalem)
Czech Rep. or Bohemia (Prague)
Serbia (Belgrade)
Olmecs (La Venta)
Zanzibar
Mississippians (Cahokia)
Belgium (Antwerp, Brussels)
South Africa (Cape Town)
Tibet (Lhasa)
Milan
Dubrovnik or Ragusa
Hong Kong
Armenia (Yerevan)
Australia (Sydney)
Vietnam (Hanoi)
Phoenicia (Sidon)
Canada (Quebec City)
Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur)
Singapore
Papal States (Vatican)
Romania (Bucharest, though I think that wasn't 100% confirmed?)
Latvia, Livland, Livonic Order (Riga)
Bulgaria (Sofia)
Slovakia (Bratislava)
Sumer (Ur)
Panama (Panama City)
Afghanistan (Kabul)
Argentina (Buenos Aires)
Kongo (Mbanza-Kongo)

Not sure if that's all of them or if I misplaced a city, but I think I'm about right for the most part.

Since there is a new icon for the barbarian turn processing, I don't think the barbarian NA axeman means much in relation to new civs !

Where do you see this?

But we have no evidence pointing towards a western native american civ. That's just optimism you're floating your boat on. The axeman is a fairly substantial indication for an Algonquian civ of some variety.

Of course it is. We don't have evidence for any civs, really.

I think the whole Venice idea is pretty silly. To call it a "civilization" is way too far.

Vast trading Empire, unique culture, Titian, Tintoretto and a host of other painters, architecture, city effectively built on the sea, straddling both the Eastern and Western worlds (born from Byzantium, unlike the other Italian states, but still Italian and Catholic in nature), pivotal importance on world history... they are not Lombard in origin, but neither are they Greek in nature. They were pretty unique, and not simply another Italian city-state... and don't forget that there wasn't even an Italian language before the 18th-19th century, and it didn't come into widespread usage until after 1861- the Venetians had their own language (not a dialect, even though it is increasingly becoming such) which is still occasionally used, with 2.2 million native speakers... no more a city-state than Rome or Carthage, which are both in the game... unique political culture which developed before the rise of the Italian communes...

Why, what do you class as a civilisation? :p

... a comment on the Sioux - I thought it was them due to the unique resource thing (thinking that would be Buffalo). But the unique resource mechanic is apparently belonging to Indonesia. So now the Shawnee just make more sense. If it's not Shawnee, then I think they're keeping the Pueblo but have a different leader than Pope'.

There's much more in favour of the Sioux than a tenuous suggestion about the unique resource. They were in Civ II and Civ III, and were most of the basis for Civ IV's "Native American" civ, making them possibly the only civ to have been in three incarnations of Civ but not (to date) Civ V. They're the most well-recognised Native American nation. And in fan polls of civs they most want in Civ V, they are by some way the leading Native American candidate, and I think 9th overall before the confirmation that at least 5 other civs in the top 10 are in BNW.

We've been told that there will be around three 'fan request' civs that have no links to the new mechanics in BNW. So far we know with certainty of only one - the Zulu - as every other civ so far revealed either has a direct link to new mechanics (Portugal, Brazil, Assyria, Morocco) or has an ability that benefits from the new mechanics (Poland with the ideology system, Indonesia with the link between resources and trade routes - also, we don't know what the remaining Indonesian uniques will do). It seems unlikely that Venice will be a "fan request" civ since it's not in much demand generally, so that's probably another "mechanics civ', but no Native American option available has an obvious association with any of BNW's key themes. That suggests to me that the NA civ is one of the "fan" civs, and in that case the Sioux are the leading candidate by some way.

Where do you see this?

Of course it is. We don't have evidence for any civs, really.

It's in the IGN preview i believe. That has no relation to whether new barbarian units are being added to, especially since we already have a barbarian turn indicator in G&K...

But we do have evidence. The Sioux lack any evidence, which doesn't rule them out. But the Algonquians do have the axeman going for them. No matter how insignificant you deem it, that is still greater evidence than the Sioux have.

Venice
Shawnee
Sioux
Ukraine
Normandy?
Venezuela

I think that's about it.

Normandy is out with the alphabetical achievements list. The last two civs are between the letters P and Z

There's much more in favour of the Sioux than a tenuous suggestion about the unique resource. They were in Civ II and Civ III, and were most of the basis for Civ IV's "Native American" civ, making them possibly the only civ to have been in three incarnations of Civ but not (to date) Civ V. They're the most well-recognised Native American nation. And in fan polls of civs they most want in Civ V, they are by some way the leading Native American candidate, and I think 9th overall before the confirmation that at least 5 other civs in the top 10 are in BNW.

We've been told that there will be around three 'fan request' civs that have no links to the new mechanics in BNW. So far we know with certainty of only one - the Zulu - as every other civ so far revealed either has a direct link to new mechanics (Portugal, Brazil, Assyria, Morocco) or has an ability that benefits from the new mechanics (Poland with the ideology system, Indonesia with the link between resources and trade routes - also, we don't know what the remaining Indonesian uniques will do). It seems unlikely that Venice will be a "fan request" civ since it's not in much demand generally, so that's probably another "mechanics civ', but no Native American option available has an obvious association with any of BNW's key themes. That suggests to me that the NA civ is one of the "fan" civs, and in that case the Sioux are the leading candidate by some way.

Yeah - that's a compelling set of points.
Sioux or Shawnee. Both work and make sense. Sitting Bull's headdress in the leader screens better be glorious if it's Sioux :)

It's in the IGN preview i believe. That has no relation to whether new barbarian units are being added to, especially since we already have a barbarian turn indicator in G&K...

But we do have evidence. The Sioux lack any evidence, which doesn't rule them out. But the Algonquians do have the axeman going for them. No matter how insignificant you deem it, that is still greater evidence than the Sioux have.

Sioux lack any evidence, yes. But the axemen with the tomahawk could be anything. I don't know why they would add a random new UU with barb colors in the middle of Assyria. They could be making barbs diverse for all we know. Eastern tribes have more going for them, though, I agree with you. I just corrected your quote to be a smart ass ;)

Yeah - that's a compelling set of points.
Sioux or Shawnee. Both work and make sense. Sitting Bull's headdress in the leader screens better be glorious if it's Sioux :)

And Tipi's!

I would argue Morocco alone could be compared to Hungary. If we included Al-Andalus, then there would be no contest.
Just my opinion:)

I think if you compared Hungarian civilization and Moroccan civilization (not civs, not the modern nation states.) You'd find that they are both quite remarkable and evenly matched for their contributions to the world. ;)

So I think the two remaining will be:
- Venice - Domenico Selvo
- Shawnee - Tecumseh

Shawnee makes sense to me because they're Algonquin and have a history of wars with the Iroquois. Plus had a big role in the War of 1812. Plus the Tomahawk icon for a UU would make sense... maybe name it a "Serpent Warrior". A Serpent Mound UB would work, but I don't know how it could mesh with the expansion's new features.

Venice... much discussed elsewhere, but the matching color of the flag thing is very convincing.

... a comment on the Sioux - I thought it was them due to the unique resource thing (thinking that would be Buffalo). But the unique resource mechanic is apparently belonging to Indonesia. So now the Shawnee just make more sense. If it's not Shawnee, then I think they're keeping the Pueblo but have a different leader than Pope'.

My thoughts on the final two as well, except Venice should be led by Enrico Dandolo.

He conned an entire army of Crusaders into sacking the greatest city of Christendom (Constantinople) while he was blind. AND at 92 or something years of age, which is basically equivalent to being 1000 years old nowadays.

I mean, who doesn't want to that scary blind old dude? I'm pretty sure if he's in, the moment you'll meet him in-game, you just know you'll have to amass your entire army/naval at his borders no matter what because he's gonna backstab you and steal all your gold and artifacts in 3... 2... 1...

I think if you compared Hungarian civilization and Moroccan civilization (not civs, not the modern nation states.) You'd find that they are both quite remarkable and evenly matched for their contributions to the world. ;)

Personally I think Morocco is more important than Hungary, but ultimately the question of "importance" is kind of a subjective and silly one at the end of the day. Both would be worthy additions to civ, but Hungary gets sort of shortchanged because it gets squeezed out by all the other European civs. (Though the Berber/North African groups have long been lumped with Arabia for a long while)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom