1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Brave New World's 9 new Civs

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Art Grin, Mar 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sanpavlos

sanpavlos Chieftain

Respectfully, I really think you sell the Sioux short. They're as deserving as any NA group, and certainly more prominent than most. Whoever said they're nothing more than a quintessential Indian to a Hollywood cowboy really needs to do some more research.

If they're not your first pick, no problem. But undeserving? I disagree. I'll leave it at that.

2. Gucumatz

Gucumatz JS, secretly Rod Serling

Compared to the big 5 of the USA, (Mississippians, Comanche, Pueblo, Iroquois and the Sioux), yes they are easily the least deserving.

Relatively unlike the Comanche they inhabited more so of a backwater in the Pre-Colombian era and are particularly famous in the US for a single battle, whereas various other civs did much more against the US than the Sioux

3. Gucumatz

Gucumatz JS, secretly Rod Serling

And of course I don't even mention South American/Mesoamerican civs for a reason, simply because they aren't thought of in the west although many were significantly more influential in their regions, longevity, warfare, technology, spread of religion etc. than the Sioux ever were

Even with the cavalry native civs, there are several better (Comanche and Mapuche IE)

4. Sikandar

Sikandar Prince

I think the Seminole are an ideal fit if the Pueblo are no longer in play. The Seminole had actual towns. With the Sioux you'd have to use battlesites as city names and that's just...not ideal.

5. Sikandar

Sikandar Prince

Between the Toltec and the Zapotec, who do you think would be a better fit for Civ?

6. Radu_Magus

Radu_Magus Warlord

Yes, not just another Italian city-state... but a city-state nonetheless. Arguably, with this logic, you would probably have more arguments to include Athens or Sparta (as cool as that would be) as civilizations. Everything you mentioned, in terms of it being unique, could be said for many parts of Italy, except that the city-state of Venice was more powerful due to its trade.

And please, it would be too absurd, to say the least, to compare Venice to the Roman Empire. I assume you are from Venice or just a Venice-fanatic?

7. turingmachine

turingmachine Emperor

Carthage was a city state, and Babylon, and even Rome. Then they formed empires still centered on the original city state. There's no reason to discriminate against Venice in this regard.

8. InsanelyApple

InsanelyApple Prince

I just thought of something guys. What if the Tomahawk unit is a raider? Similar to the privateer of Civ4. Using it you can destroy trade caravans. What do all of you think? It doesn't have to be a UU.

9. Radu_Magus

Radu_Magus Warlord

I think you don't know the meaning of "city-state" if you call Rome (at the height of the Roman Empire) a city-state.

10. tnick777

tnick777 Warlord

I struggle to grasp your anti-sioux vendetta.

11. VermelhoRed

VermelhoRed Prince

Nope. I'd love to have Hungary over Poland, but I'd really dislike to have both Hungary and Poland. Enough Europe.

12. InsanelyApple

InsanelyApple Prince

I don't know about him, but I don't want the Sioux because they never founded cities. That's the same reason I don't like the Huns.

13. tnick777

tnick777 Warlord

They were arguably one of the loudest, most militant tribes in NA though.

14. VermelhoRed

VermelhoRed Prince

But you call the Venetian Empire a city-state. What is a city-state to you? Because if Carthage is not a city-state in your opinion, neither is Venice.

15. InsanelyApple

InsanelyApple Prince

And we have enough warmongers as it is.

16. tnick777

tnick777 Warlord

It'd be necessary to balance out all the new cultural/tourism/trade civs we're getting.

Zulu, Songhai, France, Greece, Japan, Denmark, Aztecs, and Indonesia(?) are pretty much the only war-mongerers we have right now. USA, Sweden, China, Germany, and Russia are up there too.

Not too much compared to 43 civs.

17. Hyperion529

Hyperion529 Prince

what we haven't many of yet, are female leaders. there were 4(3 if you exclude Spain) women out of 9 new leaders in gnk, and we only got maria so far...

18. turingmachine

turingmachine Emperor

I didn't call Rome a city state at the height of the empire. Read what I said, I said it started as a city state then formed an empire. However even at the height of the empire Rome didn't stop being the most important city.

Venice is no different. Started as a city state and then formed an empire.

I think your overly biased in classifying Venice as just a city state despite it being parallel to more well known examples.

19. alpha2117

alpha2117 Prince

So you are saying the CSA is in as a civ to go with the other scenario?

I kid, I kid

The Scramble is loaded as is - we have Boers, Belgium, Italy, England, Morocco, Zulu, Ottoman, Portugal, France - possibly Ethipoia, Songhai, Spain, Egypt either as they are or reskinned. They have between 9 and 13 civs automatically without having to try to adjust. I assume Boers will be a reskinned Dutch, Belgium a reskinned Austria? Italy a reskinned Venice (assuming Venice is in)?

I dont think they need to go adding civs for that scenario.

The Civil Wars extra civ is unlikely to be in and the preview that had it added said nothing about native tribes so I assume CSA is just a alternate scenario only civ.

Sioux are probably in based on the naming ranges available as are Venice. Wouldn't have been my first choices and it appears Sioux wouldn't have even been Firaxis's first choice either but if they are in then lets hope the design choices are good. In the end thats all that matters. The civ names are really only flavor because in reality they are mythical representations of those real world societies.

20. Radu_Magus

Radu_Magus Warlord

And when did I mention Carthage?

But Rome is not in the game because of its origin as a city-state, but for what it became afterwards. So I don't see the point of mentioning Rome there. Sure, Venice might have had a few territories here and there, important art a powerful trade network, but a civilization? Nope. Put Italy instead (and I would be against it, because we already have Rome). Like I said, the same arguments could be used to support Athens or Sparta, but I think Greece already represents them sufficiently.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.