1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Brave New World's 9 new Civs

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Art Grin, Mar 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Radu_Magus

Radu_Magus Warlord

And yeah, let's compare the mighty Roman Empire to the Venetian "Empire". Yeah, no different. :thumbsup:

2. pedropavani

pedropavani Warlord

But you just said that they both are the same thing :p

So basically, from what I understood from you comments, you don't want Italy, because in your mind Italians speak Latin and are the exact same thing as a ancient Roman. And you don't want any other state that was in the region, because then it becomes too small on your standard and it would be pest to just group them whole and add Italy... but you don't want Italy because it is Rome on your mind.
    You could just have said that you don't want any kind of Italian on your Civ, because they either don't exist and are Roman or when they do actually exist they are meaningless.

Meh I'm tired, if I keep on this way people around here will think I'm italian, oh sorry, I mean, roman. To stop to think I haven't discussed half as much about Brazil (my homeland) than I have discussed Italy... but when I came back to these forums they were already confirmed and there was no one saying that we were already included in the Spanish civilization (Yep, Spain, not Portugal, because Portugal and we speak the same language, and that would be already way more than Roman Empire X Italy :mischief:)

3. Radu_Magus

Radu_Magus Warlord

Dude... I don't know what the hell you just said. :lol:

4. Merciorum

Merciorum Prince

My screen name is "Merciorum", do you really think I'm from Venice? :p I'm not a "fanatic" either. I like Venice, but am much more interested in Byzantium than anything, and certainly not a "fanatic of any kind. I just think that Venice should be in, because of the contributions it has made.

Yes, you could make a case for the rest of Italy. And you could make a case for Greece being separate, except Greece was A) actually unified under one power at its height, and arguably reached the extent of its "power" during the Hellenistic period (even if mainland Greece was less powerful), and B) Greece has always been in the Empire.

I see nothing wrong with comparing Venice to Rome. Not in terms of power, but certainly in its projection. Carthage is certainly an apt comparison.

Venice was very, very, very important historically. It was a weird mixture of East and West, was by far the most powerful Italian state, and did far too much to be relegated to the status of a minor state. I'd say its better than an "Italian" civilisation, because Italy in its heyday was more of a geographical expression- it doesn't represent a real political and cultural union.Venice was a state, a civilisation, and had an immensely important effect on world affairs. And if the fact that it is still essentially "Italian", then I'd point to Byzantium and Austria as examples of civs which are "Greek/Roman" or "German" but which clearly deserve a place. Merely because it was an empire built around a city doesn't mean it doesn't deserve a place.

5. teriaky

teriaky Rich peasant

OMG! I now understand why europa universalis fans despise us. This is ridiculous. They need to be slapped... in the head... with a chair... made of steel. Then, they should be given history lessons. This is just ridiculous.

6. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

See. That is the problem with Civilization V becoming too mainstream.

It is inevitable that whenever a media franchise becomes mainstream, immature people would join.

7. Arachnofiend

Arachnofiend Perturbed Pugilist

Eh, it's Facebook. It is to be expected. As long as we don't start to see that sort of behavior crop up here we should be fine.

8. Hannibal XIII

Hannibal XIII Warlord

If Venice is in (I'm pulling for Vladdy D), then Enrico Dandolo should be leader- and speak Veneto rather than mainstream Italian.

9. sendos

sendos Immortal

Best not to pay too much attention to the trolls, anyway. It never helps.

10. tnick777

tnick777 Warlord

:crazyeye:

11. Crodface

Crodface Chieftain

I agree with Enrico Dandolo. And I hope it is obvious no matter who the leader is that they speak Venetan.

Italian as we know is a modern variation of the Tuscan dialect. It wasn't around when the Republic of Venice was.

Mussolini wanted a unified Italy, so he created a standard Italian. He chose the Tuscan dialect because that was the language of the Renaissance, the language of Dante.

12. Hannibal XIII

Hannibal XIII Warlord

I want to see a Facebook war between the Polish nationalists and those who want Hitler. It'd be EPIC:mischief:

13. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

Trust me, on PI forums people get into heated debates all the time - some silly, some not - about the worth/historical relevance/power/abilities of various cultures and civilizations all the time - frankly CFC is much civil and well-informed in some regards, I have to say.

Or at least the Venetian dialect of Italian. Although Veneto would be the best.

I would also like to see if they pull off his blindness with that. Would be real creepy if he's not staring straight at you but you stillk now he's gonna send a Crusading army in your direction to loot all of your stuff for him and backstab you in 3... 2... 1...

14. Captain Fargle

Captain Fargle Prince

Something rather interesting I noticed about the new Civs. Organise them alphabetically and they follow a pattern. UB - UI - UB - UI.

Assyria, Royal Library UB
    Brazil, Brazilwood Camp UI
    Indonesia, Candi UB
    Morocco, Kasbah UI
    Poland, Ducal Stable UB
    Portugal, Feitoria UI

----

----

Zulu, Ikanda UB

It's a strict pattern. No way that it's coincidence. Very interested to see how this will all work out with whoever is yet to be revealed.

15. tnick777

tnick777 Warlord

It could be a coincidence.

If Venice is in it, the UI I could see them using could be another trading post change or something.

16. fuzzatron717

fuzzatron717 Holy Warrior

My god you are a genius you crazy bas****. (I say crazy bas**** as a reference to you're Nebuchadnezzar II avatar/picture.)

17. ImperialChaos

ImperialChaos President

So the question is what would Venice's UI be?

18. Arachnofiend

Arachnofiend Perturbed Pugilist

I seriously doubt that there's someone at Firaxis stroking his beard saying "yes, yes... we could put the civs in alphabetical order with alternating unique buildings and improvements... THAT will make the speculation flow for sure..."

19. teriaky

teriaky Rich peasant

That's why I really appreciate this forum. Most of the debates are done is a civilized manner and usually, people don't talk about things they don't know about.

20. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Canal?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.