Brave New World's 9 new Civs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or all of the controls are inverted. Cities built on land automatically transport to the nearest water tile.

The Pythonites:
Leader: Mr. Hilter
UA: Nobody Expects...; Upon Declaration of War, Units may take a double-decker bus to wherever they are needed.
UU: The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch; replaces the Guided Missile, does immense area damage to units and lambs and toads and tree-sloths and fruit-bats and orangutans and breakfast cereals, but requires 5 3 turns to set up. Unlocks at Chivalry.

Schutzstaffel
Leader: Adolf Hitler
Capital: Munich
UA: Crimes Against Humanity - Declaring war results in diplomatic hit points to every civ in the game; other civs will always be afraid from the start; +50% :c5production: production towards military units
UU: Nazi SS - replaces Marine; +50% offensive & defensive bonus against Civs who don't follow one's self Ideology
UU: SS Officer - replaces Great General; provides +50% offensive & defensive bonus; has a radius of 20 tiles; each general has a unique name

NOTE: This is Sarcasm

Was I too late for the Australian joke civs?

Leader- Queen Elizabeth II

UA-No Flag
Australian units can enter English territory anytime. AIs in war with England attack Australian units.

Maybe its Venice! With Enrico Dandolo, but since he's blind, you can't see anything on your monitor... Pro Civ indeed!

:lol::lol::lol:

The Hanseatic League

Capital Lubeck

UA friendship bonuses with mercantile states
UU Gutentag (Pikeman replacement) or Kogge
UB Diet, replaces Palace. Gives bonuses to trade.

Part of Germany, not a Civilization.

Lubeck was an independent city for some time as were several league cities.

Yes, but Germany in the game covers German Civilization within the region, and by definition is the German Civilization. A trade confederation is not a Civilization, it is a political entity, and that is not what the game is about. If we broke Germany up into every tiny political entity we would fill a civ list with literally hundreds of them from just "Germany" alone.

Yes, but Germany in the game covers German Civilization within the region, and by definition is the German Civilization. A trade confederation is not a Civilization, it is a political entity, and that is not what the game is about. If we broke Germany up into every tiny political entity we would fill a civ list with literally hundreds of them from just "Germany" alone.

The "German civilization" you are describing is a nation and a nationality that was developed by the German nation represented in game. It is an attempt to define a geographical locations people with a similar culture, linked economy and supposed genetic similarity into one political entity. That is only a civilization in the traditional 19th century description which is inherently European.

Seeing as that entity is represented by Germany in game, Lubeck is a tad difficult to include. But i disagree with your assertion that political entities are not what this game is about. And to a certain extent the game developers do too. It's difficult to explain Brazil without Portuguese civilization and it's difficult to explain America without British civilization. And then the question arises about when a civilization becomes distinct from another, and we come round to the question of Lubeck again.

The "German civilization" you are describing is a nation and a nationality that was developed by the German nation represented in game. It is an attempt to define a geographical locations people with a similar culture, linked economy and supposed genetic similarity into one political entity. That is only a civilization in the traditional 19th century description which is inherently European.

Seeing as that entity is represented by Germany in game, Lubeck is a tad difficult to include. But i disagree with your assertion that political entities are not what this game is about. And to a certain extent the game developers do too. It's difficult to explain Brazil without Portuguese civilization and it's difficult to explain America without British civilization. And then the question arises about when a civilization becomes distinct from another, and we come round to the question of Lubeck again.

The difference is that Brazil and America have had time to develop their own identity as something more than simply a political entity. If we simply said an cultured that was formed by migration or colonisation was the parents', then we could have a Carthage, a Greece, a Rome, or pretty much any of Europe. The logic works it way back all the way to Mesopotamia in the West in fact, and similar arguments can be made elsewhere. It may be hard to define the point where one becomes another, but it is still something very different from merely being a political entity.

The difference is that Brazil and America have had time to develop their own identity as something more than simply a political entity. If we simply said an cultured that was formed by migration or colonisation was the parents', then we could have a Carthage, a Greece, a Rome, or pretty much any of Europe. The logic works it way back all the way to Mesopotamia in the West in fact, and similar arguments can be made elsewhere. It may be hard to define the point where one becomes another, but it is still something very different from merely being a political entity.

It's this "something else" you talk about that i find contentious. Are you saying there are degrees of political entity and when a society reaches a certain one it becomes a civilization? Or are you saying there is another factor "x" that when added to a political entity creates a civilization?

Either way, you are trying to gauge something that cannot be gauged. "Civilization" is an outdated construct to help us conceptualise the difference between (what is perceived as) a more advanced society, particularly in terms of military and economy and tribal societies. To call a place civilised assumes that there is an other that is uncivilised to compare it too, which is fallacious.

At the end of the day all "civilization" is is one form of political entity. And your conceptualisation of lubeck as only a political entity rather than a "civilization" is because the ideal political entity in the terms of civilization is carved out on a map in political hegemony.

But we digress... Essentially what i'm trying to say is that concepts of "civilization" are irrelevant to this game, because so far the civs included have fallen under about 50 million different definitions of it, including political entities.

It's this "something else" you talk about that i find contentious. Are you saying there are degrees of political entity and when a society reaches a certain one it becomes a civilization? Or are you saying there is another factor "x" that when added to a political entity creates a civilization?

Either way, you are trying to gauge something that cannot be gauged. "Civilization" is an outdated construct to help us conceptualise the difference between (what is perceived as) a more advanced society, particularly in terms of military and economy and tribal societies. To call a place civilised assumes that there is an other that is uncivilised to compare it too, which is fallacious.

At the end of the day all "civilization" is is one form of political entity. And your conceptualisation of lubeck as only a political entity rather than a "civilization" is because the ideal political entity in the terms of civilization is carved out on a map in political hegemony.

But we digress... Essentially what i'm trying to say is that concepts of "civilization" are irrelevant to this game, because so far the civs included have fallen under about 50 million different definitions of it, including political entities.

Wait, which Civs in the game are solely political entities?

Germany wasn't really a nation/nationality developed by the German nation- at least nothing like to the same extent as Italy. They already had a shared common language and a common political tradition, even if not an actual political union.

Wait, which Civs in the game are solely political entities?

For me, Austria is not separate enough from Germany to be included as a separate civ
But then again, I wouldn't have America and Brazil in my perfect civ list, so I'm probably the minority here
I would probably also represent all the greek civs together, so there won't be separate Greece and Byzantium. Same way as they did with Germany (lumping the ancient germanics, the HRE-period and medieval Germany, and modern unified Germany together), that's my preferred way

I'm in the process of breaking down conglomerated civs at Project Civ. We've got some of the work done on the Greece breakdown. I think a German breakdown could work too. Polynesia is in the cards too.

I think by following the tradition of taking a part and giving it to another entity, we could get Nazi Germany (Panzer and Stuka,) Switzerland (with lanzknecht renamed and some bank replacement and UA,) and maybe the Franks or the Goths or something to that effect (who get the UA and Throwing Axemen or Varangians or something.)

Basically, the formula for breakdowns is to take attributes from the conglomerate and split them 2-4 ways, filling in the blanks later.

Point is, it can be done and isn't really as much of a headache as you make out.

Irkalla, why do you have North Korean Propaganda as your avatar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom