Brazil Unique Unit

They are outlaw, but the Brazilians love they, they are kind of Robin Wood, they stole but are beloved.
The game Smite use a Cangaceiro as Brazilian UU.
Looking further into it there are indeed some that are considered "folk heroes" similar to Bonnie and Clyde or Jesse James in the U.S.
Though I wouldn't necessarily say they are good for a UU, for being more infamous and always against the state of Brazil. Which makes me wonder what's the difference between them and the Minaes Gerais that was used in a state coup?

Not a state coup; a mutiny against the violent treatment of sailors in the navy, which was perceived at the time as almost a continuation of the master-slave dynamics, between (mostly European) officers and (mostly not Europeans) sailors.

I don't see as an insult to D.Pedro II the Bandeirantes, have a lot of statues of Bandeirantes around
They are slave owners... and Brazil is lead by guy who freed slaves. What don't you see? Do you want a confederate soldier as UU when America is lead by Abraham Lincoln?
Pedro II is basically Brazilian Lincoln anyway...

Not a state coup; a mutiny against the violent treatment of sailors in the navy, which was perceived at the time as almost a continuation of the master-slave dynamics, between (mostly European) officers and (mostly not Europeans) sailors.
I wasn't totally sure. He called it that so that's why I responded with that information.

They are slave owners... and Brazil is lead by guy who freed slaves. What don't you see? Do you want a confederate soldier as UU when America is lead by Abraham Lincoln?
Pedro II is basically Brazilian Lincoln anyway...
have a lot of differences, first of all Bandeirantes lived in ~1600 and Pedro II lived ~1800.
Bandeirantes are mix race indians, who speak indian language, and just have indians slaves
Who finish the indian slavery was Philipe II, king of Spain.

Pedro II end black slavery, but not before have close ties with the Dahomey kingdom (the first kingdom to recognize Brazilian indepence)
when you mean europeans and no europeans you want to say Black and Whites? Right. Because if you are speaking about the Revolta da Chibata, all are Brazilians, there is no european. I'm not sure if revolta da Chibata happens in Minas Gerais boat, I will search it.

have a lot of differences, first of all Bandeirantes lived in ~1600 and Pedro II lived ~1800.
Bandeirantes are mix race indians, who speak indian language, and just have indians slaves
so? the point is we have slave owner UU and leader who freed slaves. A slave owner as UU and liberator as a leader. A SLAVE OWNER and LIBERATOR!
If you can't see the contradiction that is clear as daylight I can't explain a bit further. That is like having Toussaint Louverture as a Haitian leader BUT having a fricken SPANISH slave owner general as Haitian UU. Would you be happy if Fraxis did that?

People of European descent and people not. I'm using them over black/white because they're more general and I didn't remember off the top of my head if there were also people of native origin in the navy.

so? the point is we have slave owner UU and leader who freed slaves. A slave owner as UU and liberator as a leader. A SLAVE OWNER and LIBERATOR!
If you can't see the contradiction that is clear as daylight I can't explain a bit further. That is like having Toussaint Louverture as a Haitian leader BUT having a fricken SPANISH slave owner general as Haitian UU. Would you be happy if Fraxis did that?
That is possible to do, but Haitian have better Unique Unit to be devoleped as Unique Unit. AS Mawon,
But Brazilian have few options because we don't have an independece fight.

But, if you want to glorify Pedro II for abolishment (what I consider wrong, because he was a slave emperor for his entire life), and this threat is about Unique Unit, what do you think if Capoeira fighters become Brazilian Unique Unit? Same status as a monk warrior

What do you think about Getulio Vargas? He makes a revolution without blood. For me he can be a great second option to Brazil leader, but, I still think Pedro II will be ever the best option for this game.

GV was almost a "fascist dictator" and and sympathized with the axis powers before to turn against them. I won't far away in this discussion because it's not the proposal of this thread, but although he could bring the Pracinhas back, we need to agree that he'd controversial.

GV was almost a "fascist dictator" and and sympathized with the axis powers before to turn against them. I won't far away in this discussion because it's not the proposal of this thread, but although he could bring the Pracinhas back, we need to agree that he'd controversial.
despite he rly was a fascist dictator, he is not racist as Hitler and Mussolini. The only fascist guy I like is Getúllio Vargas:lol:. He give up the power after won WWII and gave his life to avoid a militar coup.

The capital of united empire was in Rio de Janeiro, it was an united kingdom in order to participate the Congress of Vienna.
Someday Portugal want to back to be the empire and Brazil just the colony, Brazil don't accept back to be a colony and proclame the independence.
But, if Portugal dosen't want to change the Status Quo, Brazil never will get their independece, it was an initiative of Portugal the independence movment.
And Brazil was called Brazil since 1500, and we never have independence of Portugal (Portugal who get their independence from Brazil), we was an united kingdom and they want to leave. Our history is unique and deserve an unique unit as Bandeirantes to represented it
This account of how brazil became an independent state is very... strange.
Regardless, for all posterity, the 1825 Treaty of Rio de Janeiro literally opens with this:
ART. I - His Most Faithful Majesty recognizes Brazil in the category of independent Empire and separated from the Kingdoms of Portugal and the Algarves
Maybe they teach it different in brazil, but elsewhere it's a fairly straightforward story of fighting for independence from a european power.
What's unique about brazilian independence is that you have a transition from a European monarchy to a local monarchy with the same royal figure on the throne. How often do you hear of something like that? Basically never.

The problem with generating Unique units, of course, is that with the entrance of numerous post colonial nations into the franchise, the UUs all end up clustered in the same few eras (occasion renaissance, but mostly industrial+modern) which means that FXS has to be careful to try to make sure we have unique versions of units that aren't just riflemen and infantry. That certainly makes things harder, but all "young" nations have this issue. Does the trend of giving the USA unique WW2 airplanes serve us better than some other thing? The Minas Gerais isn't a terrible pick for unique battleship, I think you could maybe pick the actual HMS dreadnought, or maybe the Yamato for japan, instead. Most battleships never saw much action.
That said, I do think Voluntarios de Patria could have some interesting gameplay aspects given the name translates to something like "homeland volunteers." It's also fun because Pedro II created them. Especially if you had some kind of levy mechanic or unit line to work with. (Past games have had levy action, Humankind has a unique Levy/militia unit line too.)
In any case we are talking about a somewhat limited set of units to replace, and while you could make an entirely unique unit like some civs get, I'm not sure a ranger/scout esque thing really fits the gameplay of the time period. (Rangers in civ6 struggle a lot as it is.)

In other words, none of the units suggested by Henri is fitting either historically or from a gameplay point of view.

In other words, none of the units suggested by Henri is fitting either historically or from a gameplay point of view.
I still believe all my ideas fit very well :p
By the way, look this statue
the meaning of it can be understood as the Empire of Brazil is a continuous of native americans empire, the symbol of Empire is a Native American. Pedro II speak the Nheengatu leanguage (Tupi Guarani for short) the same spoke by Paulistas (bandeirantes).

By Brazilian understand of history, of 500 years old, we can even have Native American unique Unit and it should fit very well. We also deserve our Atlalist XD
*just kiding, Atlalist was already ultrapassed 500 years ago*

I still believe all my ideas fit very well :p
By the way, look this statue
the meaning of it can be understood as the Empire of Brazil is a continuous of native americans empire, the symbol of Empire is a Native American. Pedro II speak the Nheengatu leanguage (Tupi Guarani for short) the same spoke by Paulistas (bandeirantes).

By Brazilian understand of history, of 500 years old, we can even have Native American unique Unit and it should fit very well. We also deserve our Atlalist XD
*just kiding, Atlalist was already ultrapassed 500 years ago*
By that logic USA has 100+ years before Europeans set foot in America. Do we say USA has a history old as European nations?

I still believe all my ideas fit very well
says you. :nono:

By that logic USA has 100+ years before Europeans set foot in America. Do we say USA has a history old as European nations?
I like to think the first United States of America born in 1142 when Iroquois federation formed it self.
BUT! It isn't teach in USA schools, they teach the born of USA was 1776

unfortunately Native Americans =/= USA. None of USA documents say that it has accquired right of state from them.
It isn't just what you think.
But say it in the seal, the eagle and the 13 arrows are take from Iroquois simbology

minute 7 of this video

Last edited:
so? Did founding Fathers ever said they are taking statehood from Iroquois? NZ had one with Maori via the treaty of Waitangi. Did Founding Fathers ever made similar treaty?
New Zealand also had a Maori in Coat of army. Maori represented very well all New Zealand by game standrts.

New Zealand also had a Maori in Coat of army. Maori represented very well all New Zealand by game standrts.
We had that because we had meaningful interaction via the treaty of Waitangi. And thus government CAN claim to succeed Maori.
Anyway, back to the topic- for Brazil UU should only be things from the times of Pedro I and onwards. There was no Brazil before Pedro I. There was no ancient Brazil. And no Natives do NOT count.

Top Bottom