• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

[BtS] DIPLOMACY: a mod for Diplogames!

Since I'll be home all day today (I'm sick again :sad: ) I am going to try and get some work finished up on this today. I'm going to upgrade some units and add cultural city-styles today as well as try to get as many new leaders in as possible. After that I am giong to put in the Inquisitors and after that it is time for the next playtest, so we're already almlost at the second playtest. :goodjob:

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE PART OF THE SECOND PLAYTEST, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, PM ME ABOUT IT. EVEN IF YOU WERE PART OF THE FIRST PLAYTEST YOU WILL NEED TO PM ME AGAIN.

This one should be a bit better than the others since there will be more flavoring (Spies, Great People, City-styles, and a few changes to the existing flavor), more leaders, new religions, inquisitors, and some new theme music and a main menu graphic (although I'm not sure which one to use yet), so I hope to get a lot of volunteers this time. :D

I'll keep you posted if I need anything or there are any issues. In the interim there are a few things that should probably be discussed:
  • Inquisitor Flavoring - should it be by religion, by culture, or should there just be one generic model?
  • Leaders - any ideas as to who should make the cut should still be up for discussion.
  • Stats for the Frankish Paladin.
  • Inquisitors - how should they be implemented? What civics should they be available for, what buildings should they require (new one or an existing building)?

Thanks everyone.

EDIT: Concerning the Diplomacy Music. I'd agree with Igor on this one. You should post it in that thread because I'll need that music for the Deluxe edition of this mod, but not for this version.

I don't really care what system you use for flavoring the inquisitors so long as it's the same system you use to flavor the missionaries and the corporation CEOs. If you really want an opinion though, I'd probably have to say at least region-specific by religion (European Vodun, Middle Eastern Vodun, African Vodun, Asian Vodun, etc).

I'm not exactly sure what you had in mind Madman, but I this is what I came up with for the Indian great artist. I might be able to come back at a later time and improve upon this slightly, but in the next playtest this is the one that will appear.

I will also use this for the GA for Middle-Eastern civs.

It looks great!

No problems with the GP other than one (ancient European/Nordic) missing the halo. A lot of these you will probably have seen before, and this image doesn't include all of them but here you go. The only ones I made are on the very right side. The third one from the top (Medieval European Prophet) and the one on the bottom (Indian Great Artist). I hope you like them.

Its really late/early in the morning but I have been playing this mod all night and its coming together well. It reminds me of when I was a kid and got Civ2 for Christmas, I stayed up playing Civ all night that night, it was ridiculous, well I nearly did that tonight! So I'm pretty happy with the mod, anyway...

I flavored some Great People today, obviously, and I'm pretty happy with the way they turned out. I also finally managed to get all of the ships properly scaled, animated, and flavored so no more mixed up sets (the Egyptian set was mixed up and didn't look right for example). I also got Cultural Citystyles in and it looks fantastic so the next step is one of my favorite parts of civ... LEADERHEADS!!! :goodjob:

Now I am not going to start MAKING LHs again just yet (sorry everyone, but I want to have time to learn how to add shaders and do my own animations, so I'm waiting until the next playtest). What I am going to do is add either generic placeholders or old versions of LHs I intend on replacing so that the Personality/AI for the new leaders is there for you to playtest. Just so you guys realize which LHs are placeholders I will give them a different button (probably one that says DII rather than an image of their face). I'll be watching football for the majority of tomorrow, so I probably won't get much done, but I am going to go in alphabetical order so if you have any issues with some leaders I have in mind for civs A through C you should probably make that known now. If you have issues with civs like the Vikings or Zulus then you can probably wait a bit on that. ;)

And so far I only have two playtest requests, I hope you guys aren't ditching me on this, the playtesting is really important and now that the first one is finished there shouldn't be many issues, so really you are just getting an advanced version of the mod... so please, more playtesters are needed!!! :goodjob:

Capo, are the new religions already done, or is there still some work needed on them?

They are finished, except that I can't get the effect to work for the Aesir missionary, I am waiting on Hrochland to finish the Anunnaki Shrine and I haven't put in the new/final text yet but everything works perfectly and those other things (except for the missionary which I haven't been able to figure out yet) shouldn't take long to fix. I also fixed all of the ships (so they should all have relatively similar scales and the flavoring is just where I want it) changed a few of the units that I didn't like/was iffy about. I also merged in Cultural Citystyles (which is awesome so far) and I was going to add the new leaders starting today. I will probably release the next playtest after I get all of the new leaders in (which I'll start on now since my football team is getting their asses kicked) but I might put the next playtest out after the inquisitors instead, I haven't decided which just yet. BTW thanks for Askia. :)

They are finished, except that I can't get the effect to work for the Aesir missionary, I am waiting on Hrochland to finish the Anunnaki Shrine and I haven't put in the new/final text yet but everything works perfectly and those other things (except for the missionary which I haven't been able to figure out yet) shouldn't take long to fix. I also fixed all of the ships (so they should all have relatively similar scales and the flavoring is just where I want it) changed a few of the units that I didn't like/was iffy about. I also merged in Cultural Citystyles (which is awesome so far) and I was going to add the new leaders starting today. I will probably release the next playtest after I get all of the new leaders in (which I'll start on now since my football team is getting their asses kicked) but I might put the next playtest out after the inquisitors instead, I haven't decided which just yet. BTW thanks for Askia. :)

Cool, because you got me interested in the JARM mod, so I want to add it to my game when it is released.

Cool, because you got me interested in the JARM mod, so I want to add it to my game when it is released.

Well, unfortunately you won't be able to. I haven't heard a word from JAT and as you can see I don't have time to wait around on someone else, so you'd have to go into my mod and pull it out bit by bit because I coded it into it directly rather than modularly. Sorry. :(

Well, before I even started I already have an issue. I forgot to actually change the personality for Askia Muhammad Toure. Usually I do a bit more research than this but here is his WIKIPEDIA ARTICLE. The first thing you'll notice is that he wasn't technically Malinese, he was acutally Songhai/Soninke. So there is a problem here becasue I have a Songhai Empire civ. I have three options, none of them I really like:
  1. Rename him to some other Malinese leader.
  2. Ditch him and only have Mansa Musa and Sundiata Keita as leaders for the Mali.
  3. Include him and either add Sunni Ali to Mali as well, or just make Askia a leader of both Mali and Songhai.

Option (3) is not so great because Askia was actually a successor to Sunni Ali so that wouldn't make sense, or if I included them both it would almost leave the Songhai Empire irrelevant (other than their different UU and UB that is). Option (2) kind of sucks because I already have the XML done for him, and I don't really like option (1) because I made him to be Askia Muhammad.

The other reason I made this post was to get a good pesonality for him. I was thinking of basing it on Kublai Khan but a bit more of a financial focus and then giving him the traits of Imperialist/Philosophical (since Mansa Musa is already financial).

Thoughts?

Askia is definitely a Songhai. I don't know how you didn't notice it earlier. He should be in the Songhai Empire.

I gotta go with option 2. Mali already has a second leader with Sundiata.

Well, unfortunately you won't be able to. I haven't heard a word from JAT and as you can see I don't have time to wait around on someone else, so you'd have to go into my mod and pull it out bit by bit because I coded it into it directly rather than modularly. Sorry. :(

Well, I made most additions to my game by simply changing the XML. I actually have no idea how to add a mod into a mod. So, once you have a playtest with all the religions working feel free to send me the playtest, because I'm curious on how it works and would like to test it myself.

Well, before I even started I already have an issue. I forgot to actually change the personality for Askia Muhammad Toure. Usually I do a bit more research than this but here is his WIKIPEDIA ARTICLE. The first thing you'll notice is that he wasn't technically Malinese, he was acutally Songhai/Soninke. So there is a problem here becasue I have a Songhai Empire civ. I have three options, none of them I really like:
  1. Rename him to some other Malinese leader.
  2. Ditch him and only have Mansa Musa and Sundiata Keita as leaders for the Mali.
  3. Include him and either add Sunni Ali to Mali as well, or just make Askia a leader of both Mali and Songhai.

Option (3) is not so great because Askia was actually a successor to Sunni Ali so that wouldn't make sense, or if I included them both it would almost leave the Songhai Empire irrelevant (other than their different UU and UB that is). Option (2) kind of sucks because I already have the XML done for him, and I don't really like option (1) because I made him to be Askia Muhammad.

The other reason I made this post was to get a good pesonality for him. I was thinking of basing it on Kublai Khan but a bit more of a financial focus and then giving him the traits of Imperialist/Philosophical (since Mansa Musa is already financial).

Thoughts?
There is option 4: get rid of the Songhai. Mali is meant to be this entire big region with the Mandinka, Soninke, Songhai and all the others, so it is not a problem.

Eh, I suppose you are right... I hate to do it but I think I am going to remove the Songhai :sad: . Well, they had a fun ride while it lasted (I actually played as them a lot in the old mod, which is why I didn't list this as an option). In the interest of representing Africa more, I will add a new African civ in their stead as part of Module Pack II, so we'll figure that one out when we get to it.

ANYWAY, besides crying about my football team's loss, I made the first place-holder LH and actually it doesn't look too bad at all if I do say so myself. This is the Nasser that will appear in the PLAYTEST. I will have a much better one for the final mod, but in the meantime we will be using this one, it is a reskin of some LH from CivGold, but I think that was just a reskin of FDR, so its a reskin of FDR. I think it looks pretty decent for a simple place-holder LH... what do you guys think?

Also who's personality should I base him on and what traits should he have? And I need ideas for a background (man am I unprepared).

Even if he wasn't a placeholder, I'd take this Nasser over the currently non-existent one any day! Right now, I'm using a Franco as a stand-in, and that's just not cool.

Even if he wasn't a placeholder, I'd take this Nasser over the currently non-existent one any day! Right now, I'm using a Franco as a stand-in, and that's just not cool.

I remember that you said you were going to do that, so I thought about it myself but I couldn't bring myself to do it. This is the lowest level of quality/accuracy I can accept in a place-holder, the version I actually make should be much better than this. Unfortunately I can't send it to you because I'm using it as a bargaining chip... if you agree to playtest my mod of course you'll have it. :mischief:

PM me about playtesting, if you post here that you want to playtest that will accomplish nothing. I need it to be a PM specifically.

Top Bottom