[BtS MOD] Wolfshanze 1850-1920 Enhancement Mod v2.0

Thanks for the help, Wolf, I really appreciate it, being a total tech-tard :p

[Edit]I have a question, I did put in the DLL from Bhruics patch, and it fixed things up but I'd still like the better global warming, where do I change that value in? In the DLL itself? I swore I look and didn't see it there. Sorry to be such a bother!

[Edit #2]Last question, I swear :p I just went to play the earth map and it doesn't have all the civs in it, even though it's labeled as Earth 34 Civs, it only has about 10. Weird.
[Edit #3] I just checked the 34 Earth Mod I have installed, and the same thing has happened! It's missing most of the civs! Now this is bizzare. I have no idea what could have done it, I haven't played it since installing Bhruics patch and BlueMarble, but I don't see how those things could be culprits...Bizzare.
1) Lt.Bob's DLL (GlobalDefines.xml if you changed the value)
2) Lt.Bob's DLL
3) Lt.Bob's DLL

There's a reason why I use Lt.Bob's DLL patch... only his patch allows the Nuclear Fallout option, and only Lt.Bob's patch allows for 40-civ maps... Bhruics patch fixes a lot of things, but it doesn't allow for 40 civs or changes to nuclear fallout.

I could've sworn Lt.Bob said he included Bhruich's patch, so I dunno... but the one thing I do know, is that Lt.Bob's DLL is the only one (that I know of) that allows 40 civ games and the change in nuclear fallout.

Ergo, I use Lt.Bob's DLL.

You can certainly play the Wolfshanze Mod with any DLL you like... default DLL, Bhruich's or someone else... but if you use a differant DLL you won't get the change in nuclear fallout or the 40-civ earth map... but everything else will work as advertised.

I had some historical concerns about using the swastika flag for the Germans from 4000 BC on and as others have pointed out, it doesn't reflect history very well. what i would like to do is use the nazi flag during the industrial era when i start cranking out panzers. so the question is, can I use the maltese flag (or one of the others) by making the text changes you mentioned previously, and then simply changing them again later in the game? Or would that somehow foul up an existing saved game?
You can change the flag out at will using the previously mentioned XML change... changing the flag for the XML will NOT adversely effect any saved games you have. I wish I could make flags change automatically by date and/or by leader, but unfortunately you'll have to use one or the other till you decide to change the flag manually using the XML change I listed previously.

In a nutshell, feel free to use the Maltese Cross till whenver you want to use the Swastika, then swap-it out using a XML change... your saved games will not get fouled in any way.

Also, since there are so many unit changes made for the industrial era, will i be able to "play" with the new land, sea, and air units for a longer period of time before they are obsoleted by tech advances? I don't know if you have somehow stretched out that time period by increasing time to research those techs, or some other modification, or having to play on marathon speed. i typically play on prince with a huge map on epic speed, and i suspect the time period will whiz by before i really get to enjoy an "era" where these units get to rule...
There have been no new techs added and no changes to length of time to advance from the default game. I didn't want to change the game too much from default Civ4... I actually do enjoy the base game and only wanted to tweak a few things here and there, not drastically alter the entire game.

Having said that, there are two major ways to change how long you'll be offered some of the industrial age units added to the game...

1) Game speed setting: Epic or Marathon games will certainly allow you to enjoy the new additions to the game for longer time then standard speed.

2) Simply what you research... "switching gears" on your path of research may keep somethings as your primary weapons longer then blasting through a particular military path. For instance, in default Civ-4... the disparity between a Frigate and a Destroyer is HUGE... if the AI catches up with you in Frigate technology, and you want a tech lead, the only way in Default Civ-4 was to reseach a LOT of techs to get to Destroyers... skipping other peaceful but helpfull techs that you may need along the way. With the Wolfshanze Mod, you can develop ocean-going Ironclads for instance, get the tech-lead over the AI's Frigates, then go research some of those peaceful techs (leaving you in the Ironclad age)... if/when the AI catches up with Ironclad technology, you can study Pre-Dreadnought techs, then (again) switch to something else.

Simply put, you have more options now then you had before... sure... you can blast through the naval war techs rapidly if you focus hard on it, or you now have the option of changing gears once you get a step-up on the AI. Same with the WWI techs like biplanes and early tanks.

Great mod, and it appears to be just getting better with your tireless dedication to making improvements.
Glad you enjoy the Mod... trying my best to make it a good one... I have more changes coming.

AND Wolf replies almost instantly to posts!

Gotta love it! :banana:

Well time to launch a new game...

The Lt.Dan DLL seemed to remove some of the fixes from Bhruic's patch, like the missing culture values on buildings.

I went back to Bhruric's.

As for the boats- oftentimes boats were obsolete before they were built in the late 19th century. So the techs should progress quickly.

I'm torn between DLLs. One the one hand, I would love to play the giant earth map, but on the other Lt. Bob's does break a lot of the things that I love about Bhruics (mainly the ridiculous trades the AI thinks of. I can handle the culuture display, and worker capture doesn't happen all too often, but the trades can ruin the game). I suppose I could have two versions of your mod with the two different DLLs. Actually, I think that's just what I'll do.

[Edit] I think I know the problem with Lt. Bobs. I was reading that thread and it sounds like he has two versions, one with Bhruics fixes and one without. Why he wouldn't just have one that combined Bhruics and his is beyond me.

[Edit] I think I know the problem with Lt. Bobs. I was reading that thread and it sounds like he has two versions, one with Bhruics fixes and one without. Why he wouldn't just have one that combined Bhruics and his is beyond me.
I guess I need to double-check... I could've sworn LtBob had the Bhruic patch included. I need to see if I can get the right one in my mod.

Okay... I have Lt.Bob's v4.0 in my mod... which is JUST the 40-civ mod on the default GameCore.dll... I just downloaded Lt.Bob's v4.0e which includes Bhruic's patch and the 40-civ conversion.

I'll include v4.0e in my next release... if you're in a hurry, just make sure you download Lt.Bob's v4.0e and you'll get the 40-civs + Bhruic's patch. I have no idea if switching from v4.0 to v4.0e would mess with saved games though... I haven't checked this aspect out yet... so proceed with caution!

Okay... I have Lt.Bob's v4.0 in my mod... which is JUST the 40-civ mod on the default GameCore.dll... I just downloaded Lt.Bob's v4.0e which includes Bhruic's patch and the 40-civ conversion.

I'll include v4.0e in my next release... if you're in a hurry, just make sure you download Lt.Bob's v4.0e and you'll get the 40-civs + Bhruic's patch. I have no idea if switching from v4.0 to v4.0e would mess with saved games though... I haven't checked this aspect out yet... so proceed with caution!

Good news! :D With that change, I can't think of any real gameplay issues I have with the Wolfshanze mod. Woot!

:mischief: Bad news for me : game has freezed when the save exceded 1.6 Mo "et des poussières"...

I suggest that you create a Standard Earth Map with 34 Civs also, is it possible ?

You can balance by giving more ressources to suddenly enclaved countries :mischief: Blood bath is missing in Huge Earth Map

:mischief: Bad news for me : game has freezed when the save exceded 1.6 Mo "et des poussières"...
Have you tried using a previous save? Sometimes save files get corrupted and it has nothing to do with a mod, it's just the way the base game is. Regular old default Civ4 with no mods can get corrupted save files.

I suggest that you create a Standard Earth Map with 34 Civs also, is it possible ?

You can balance by giving more ressources to suddenly enclaved countries :mischief: Blood bath is missing in Huge Earth Map
The Earth map that comes with the Wolfshanze Mod is "huge", but it's not nearly as big as a lot of the earth maps here on the forum, and that's deliberate because I didn't want everyone to need massive system requirements to play on it... though you will need a fairly decent system, you don't need a massive one.

Having said that, not sure I can go any smaller on Earth and still have it play well with 34 civs. Europe is crowded-enough as-is on my 124x68 map with essentially zero room to build a 2nd European city for nations starting in Western Europe. You'd either have to ditch the Western Hemisphere, or try a unproportionally correct map if you went any smaller... which would once again not be good for 34 Civs.

You might try going over to the Civ Fanatics Pre-Made Maps section and try some of the maps there... most should play fine with the Wolfshanze Mod... just stick them in the Wolf Mod "Private Maps" folder or your own "Public Maps" folder.

What are you system specs? Your problems to me sound more like a problem with a lower-end system then a problem with the mod itself. What's your CPU, Memory and video card? Those three things go a long way in helping with a lot of Civs, big maps and/or high-detailed unit models.

If your system specs are a little below norm (which I suspect), I think you'd be better-served playing with 18-Civs on an earth map instead of with 34-Civs on a smaller map... each added Civ takes up a good amount of computer power. The in-game (default) Earth Map combined with the Wolfshanze mod should play better for you, since it doesn't use 34 Civs...

Thanks for the Mod, too bad about mod fearing people on the other forum.

Im going to switch the flags for my version though, you might get less flack if you default to another flag for the download, even if you use your version for yourself.

Many thanks for the Mod.

Wolfshanze, I followed the instructions and the Mod isn't showing in CIV. Here's where I unzipped:
C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Wolfshanze

What did I do wrong?

And, I'd like to keep my Bhruic's. Anything special I need to do there?

You made a comment about the "Perfect World" mapscript, I'll probably give it a go at the same time. Was this what you were talking about? http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239982

Thanks for the help!

Wodan

Is the path to assets like
C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Wolfshanze\Wolfshanze\Assets

Wolfshanze mod has its own containing folder in the zip so you need to unzip it directly to
C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods

Might not be the problem, but that was my problem when I first made my mod.

To move to Bhruic's just copy your Bhruic's patch too ...\Wolfshanze\Assets\CVgamecoreDLL.DLL
Or else just delete the included CVgamecoreDLL.DLL in Wolfshanze assets, it should default to Bhruic's if Bhruic's is you're main.

Is the path to assets like
C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Wolfshanze\Wolfshanze\Assets

Wolfshanze mod has its own containing folder in the zip so you need to unzip it directly to
C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods

Might not be the problem, but that was my problem when I first made my mod.
Good guess but not it. Here's the full path:
C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Wolfshanze\Assets

To move to Bhruic's just copy your Bhruic's patch too ...\Wolfshanze\Assets\CVgamecoreDLL.DLL
Or else just delete the included CVgamecoreDLL.DLL in Wolfshanze assets, it should default to Bhruic's if Bhruic's is you're main.
Awesome thanks.

Though I have to ask Wolfshanze why bother including somebody else's dll if you don't need it for the functionality of your mod? I know you've talked about how you like the 34 civs but that's just your preference and really has nothing to do with your mod, correct or no?

Wodan

I got it to work, sorry everybody.

Though I like how my starting settler has 2 horses, a dog, a kid, and 2 wives. Something you need to tell us Wolfshanze? :lol:

Wodan

Glad you got it working Wodan... there's two features the new DLL includes... one is the 34 Civs (which goes with the special 34-civs earth map I modified and included in the download)... and two is the change in nuclear fallout from random desert tiles to random nuclear fallout instead.

In the v2.3 Wolfshanze Mod download, I included the v4.0 LtBob DLL... which I thought included Bhruic's patch... it does not. You need the v4.0e LtBob DLL (which I linked in the Frigates to Destroyers thread, and you can of course find on your own here). If you like Bhruic's patch I'd recomend using the v4.0e LtBob DLL, as it includes Bhruic's patch AND support for 40 civs and nuclear fallout options.

I'm working on a 2.4 version now... some new graphic model upgrades (as usual), the v4.0e LtBob DLL, and something special I'm cooking up... I'm still not 100% satisfied with how the naval units work... not that I'm unhappy with the units, number or techs required... but rather the fact that some "more modern" naval vessels still lose to older out-of-date ships they should not lose to. I was just playing and lost a fully healthy Dreadnought to a Pre-Dreadnought protected cruiser... not once but twice... now that seemed a bit too much, so I'm going to work on lowering the odds of occurance...

Right now, we have a single standard "Naval Units" category... I'm going to break that down into the distinct naval ages... (Sail, Steam, Pre-Dreadnought, Dreadnought, Modern & Nuclear) with each age getting a combat bonus on previous ages. I'm working on some formulas right now that will make sense. Must do some serious math crunching here... I want everything to make sense... I like the way it is now, but a little tweaking it can be even better.

Back to work.

P.S.
Wodan... yes, you had the right link for the Perfect World map script... I'm highly impressed with that map routine and will include it in my next release.

Well, even though I just starting playing it, I would urge caution... from a statistical viewpoint, a "sample set" of only 2 is insignificant.

Is there some reason you think the combat is buggy or was this simply a fluke? What were the strengths of the two units and what were the promotions? Did eiher unit have a 10% tile defense?

In real life, a "modern" unit could easily be mousetrapped by terrain, tide, current, reefs, whatever, that would restrict its maneuverability. This kind of thing isn't represented in Civ. However, it gives a rationale why a more modern unit could lose to an older unit.

Wodan

Regarding the DLL, you didn't really answer my question. Why include the DLL when it really has nothing to do with your mod? You're in effect just sponsoring the other guy, which you could just as easily do by putting a note in your readme. And, it causes problems when he updates and you don't (as we're seeing now).

In effect, you're forcing yourself to go to the work to issue an update whenever the other guy issues an update.

Wodan

Well, even though I just starting playing it, I would urge caution... from a statistical viewpoint, a "sample set" of only 2 is insignificant.
Oh, I'm not talking about throwing out the entire naval tree and starting over from scratch.

In fact, I'm not changing a single combat value of any of the naval units in my mod. What I'm going to do is make it "slightly less likely" that a more modern vessel will succomb to an older generation vessel, and I'm going to emphasize the roles of some ships.

I actually got the idea from the on-going conversation in the Frigates/Destroyers thread and recalled something similar in the older mod for Warlords.

It's mostly an "under the hood" change. Not one combat value has changed, not one price has changed, not one unit has been added or deleted. I'm just breaking-down the naval combat category (which is currently HUGE) into smaller (more measurable) pieces so I can be more precise in choosing which ships get bonuses against which ships. The main differance would be in the Civilopedia where instead of a Frigate being listed as a "Naval Unit" it would now be listed as an "Age of Sail Unit" and an Ironclad being listed as an "Age of Steam Unit"... etc, etc. Is that bad? The end-purpose for this is that now a Pre-Dreadnought age unit can get a bonus against Age of Sail and Age of Steam units without getting a bonus against other Pre-Dreadnought ships or vessels of more modern ages. It allows me to make for more accurate naval combat results, without having to resort to 120-strength battleships. All base combat values are staying the same.

Here's the end gameplay result of the above changes...

All ships from previous Wolfshanze Mods are unchanged in tech requirements, cost, look, combat value, etc, etc.

Ships will still function as you expect they would... a Frigate will do it's job against other age of sail vessels as it always had... it will also more then likely lose to ships of more modern ages... especially those ages two or three generations ahead in naval technology, though it will have a decent chance of sinking a vessel only one generation ahead (still an uphill battle, but doable).

Ships of more modern ages will still fight similar-aged ships in the same manner they always have... no differance there either.

The change you may notice....

Ships one or two (or more) naval generations in technology over a much older ship (say a pre-dreadnought against an age of sail ship, or a modern naval vessel against a pre-dreadnought) will sink a much older generation ship more often then not and/or take less damage in the attack.

In v2.3 and before, say a Dreadnought attacked an Ironclad Cruiser... you'd probably sink the Ironclad Cruiser, but had maybe a 50% chance of taking serious damage in-so doing (losing half strength or more) to a clearly inferior ship, even worse, you might have a 1-in-10 chance of being sunk yourself by attacking a clearly outdated ship.

In the new version in the same situation, you'll almost certainly sink the Ironclad Cruiser with your Dreadnought, and probably take less damage as a result of the attack... your odds of being destroyed in-turn will also drop, though it will still be a possibility you may be sunk (yeah, you can still "strike a reef", but it will happen less often with such disparities in technology).

Once again... these are mostly "under the hood" changes. Naval progression is the same as it's been in the Wolfshanze Mod... things will still make sense with historical tie-ins. No units have been added or deleted... heck, even the combat values remain unchanged. I'm just tweaking it so a nation/civ that has a technological naval advantage is more then likely going to dominate the sea over a nation with less naval technology... as it should be. Somebody with a WWII Sub shouldn't be afraid to lose his sub when attacking an 1860s Ironclad Cruiser. However, it's not a HUGE/DRASTIC change... nothing is automatic or assured... the chance that sub's torpedoes will go afoul and circle around to destroy the firing sub are still there... the odds are just a little less then they were before. That should make the Civ-purist happy.

P.S.
I can assure you... every one of my new naval categories in the Wolfshanze Mod will contain more units then the default Civ4 "Helicopter" unit category that Firaxis themselves put into the game. So if you're worried the Wolfshanze Mod will be strange for the number of units in a combat category, fear-not... I have more in my categories then Firaxis has in theirs.

Top Bottom