[BTS]TF-1 All Praise the Mahatma Day!

Turn 116/750 (1100 BC)
Move workers to finish road to Delhi

After End Turn:
Delhi finishes: Library

Turn 117/750 (1075 BC)
Delhi begins: Settler (10 turns)
Dial up a settler because it'll take 9 turns and 9 turns to work off whip unhappiness

Turn 119/750 (1025 BC)
TGL (Lighthouse) BIAFAL
Road hooked up, giving extra happiness because of Gold which negates my settler justification :smoke:

Trade 'phants for Boudica's Beaver :lol:
Sorry sometimes I'm 12 yrs. old.
Boudica will also take Horses, Cows, or Gold for her Crabs :lol:

Turn 120/750 (1000 BC)
Spoiler :

Moscow borders pop, so trade beef for crabs. I figure she seems to have enough health resources so it prob. won't help her.
:lol:We got her beaver last turn and her crabs this turn:lol:
Sorry I couldn't resist.

Turn 122/750 (950 BC)

After End Turn:

Tech research finished: Iron Working

We have Iron in Moscow :goodjob:

Turn 123/750 (925 BC)

Research begun: Masonry (4 Turns)
Dial up Masonry as everyone seems to agree with heading towards OR

Turn 125/750 (875 BC)

Alright, I'll end here after 10 turns. Delhi will complete settler this turn and both of our other cities will grow. I figured it was a good spot to stop because I wasn't super clear on where we wanted to settle next. Seemed like the blocker cities are more or less the consensus. Which one would be better? I'm thinking the western one as it'll pick up the fishies and the horse.

PS I'm in Guelph, Canada. I'm about 100km west of downtown Toronto. It's a nice little hippie town in the midst of suburban sprawl that is Southern Ontario.

Attachments

• TF01-Mahatma BC-0875.CivBeyondSwordSave
    107 KB · Views: 54
Please, disregard me. I was transfered and will have to move with all my family. I'll probably be away for about a month. If it's alright, I can come to the game then. If it's not, I understand.

Haven't checked the save yet, but looks good. Great about the Iron, moscow is gonna be a real production beast, maybe we can even build a few wonders there. Right now I think we need a couple more workers, 3 axes and settle the blocker cities then we will be in good shape. I think we should just leave that barb city alone for the moment, there's little point to taking it now.

Since Iggie is away am I up now?

@lurkers... Wanna play?

We knew the iron was there from before, because Stalin had hooked it up. Still, it's a nice boost long-term for Moscow's production.

You're up kolokol - workers and settlers for a while methinks :goodjob:

Turn 125-135 and an unfortunate turn of events:(

First the inhereted turn and I'm sorry I must :gripe:
Spoiler :

This border poped 5 turns ago = 15 lost hammers!
Well I opt here to work the gold for 2 turns in order to save half the breadbasket 15:food:>6:food:

I adjust chariots for better spawnbust

126: Hinduism spread to Moscow + whip monument Bombay
Delhi finishes settler, build lighthouse (nothing else usefull to build, considered wonder for failurecash)

127: Choose to skip granary in bombay since it will only be poop7 build settler(16), tech mono

130: Vijay&)(&¤")(% settled at maintainance 3,80
Spoiler :

133: mono in select priesthood. Thinking taking a shot at confusinism to keep religions away from our rivals and Oracle has not been built yet
134: Confu FIDL (not oracle), oh well
135: Delhi->WB(5) for Vijay... Boudica converts to confusianism:scared:

Tech options: Theo for christianity/AP, Math+cal+cur for economy and happy, monarchy for HR, CoL... I really don't know leaning Math which is the safe route. Btw we are :)cap 8 for those keeping score

Next settler due in 6 for second blocker city then Bombay should build a few workers at 10 turns apiece
Spoiler :

Oracle has not been built but I don't see where we get 225:hammers:, we could chop in Moscow but we only have 1 worker 2 if we grab the guy from Delhi

Can we convert Booty if we spam missionaries?

Whos up?

Attachments

• TF01-Mahatma BC-0600.CivBeyondSwordSave
    114.5 KB · Views: 47
Turn 125-135 and an unfortunate turn of events:(

First the inhereted turn and I'm sorry I must :gripe:
Spoiler :

This border poped 5 turns ago = 15 lost hammers!
Well I opt here to work the gold for 2 turns in order to save half the breadbasket 15:food:>6:food:

Would you help me out and explain something to me? Why was this so bad? I don't understand "to save half the breadbasket 15:food:>6:food:" Does it have to do with whipped food to hammer conversion?

I guess I generally like to grow my cities above pop 2 or 3 before optimizing for hammers but now that you've pointed this out, I'm not really sure why I do that. Monarch is a step up for me, I hoping to learn a few things in this SG :cool: And don't worry I can take criticism, I just like to learn from it.

In the absence of Iggy, v8 is up.

Iggy, we'll hold a spot for you if this is still going when you get back into it.
I'll throw a post in the registration thread looking for anyone to join, as we have room for another player.

Would you help me out and explain something to me? Why was this so bad? I don't understand "to save half the breadbasket 15:food:>6:food:" Does it have to do with whipped food to hammer conversion?

The 'bad' was the city working a 3:food: farm instead of 3:food:3:hammers: cow for 5 turns.

The reason i worked gold was that the city would grow in 1 turn and the granary would be complete in 2 turns. If I let the city grow the granary would be built at pop 2 + 6 food in the basket towards pop 3. By working the mine until the granary is built then growing to pop 2 the basket would save half the food (33/2) = 16 i think. so this way the city grows to pop 3 faster and nets +16:commerce:

I noticed that the gouvenor in moscow was off, probably because of a manually moved tile which turns it off. This is the reason it did not switch automatically to the cow once the border poped. I don't know what u guys are use to but I generally try to leave the gounevor on if possible to avoid such instances. In any case it is always good to check to tiles worked at times just to make sure.

OK, that makes perfect sense. I was confused because the picture you showed was from 600BC and i was thinking the granary was already done.

I have been tending to leave the guv off (since I'm trying to improve my micro) and relying on the BUG alert to check it when it grows. I must have missed it.

I just opened my save and it was definitely my :smoke:

Should we put some focus into getting missionaries up to convert Boud?

Nice turns kolokol.

Boudica still has only two cities...this makes me suspicious. Still, her power rating is only just above ours - what could she be doing up there? Guess getting Confu answers that to an extent. She's been teching instead...

Anyway, I have the save and will probably play tomorrow pending further discussion.

Techwise:
I think Mathematics is the way to go - we'll need Currency soonish, and the best way to get it is through Maths. Also, I think we'd benefit from having a shot at the Hanging Gardens....what do you guys think? Although there's definitely someone out there with stone, so we might not get it (did anyone else notice an unknown civ have built the Moai Statues in something like 1500BC?) :eek:

Boudica:
Not sure we'll be able to convert her. It will require a minimum of 3 missionaries (assuming she at least puts up one more city) and probably a bribe as well, for which we'll need Alphabet. She'll be annoyed soon - we might as well face the fact that we'll be confronted with the inevitable attack sooner or later. The good news is that with Moscow and Bombay, we definitely have the production base to defend ourselves...

My suggestion is that we go barb city hunting with a few swords from Moscow next. The settler will complete soon, so we'll have effectively blocked off Boudica. This will have the composite effect of boosting our power rating - anyone know at what threshold Boudica will definitely not attack? I'm guessing it's something like 110%, but I'm not sure....I know Monty's the highest at about 140%.

Production:
Workers for a while in Delhi after the WB, swords in Moscow? Maybe with the odd worker thrown in?

This will have the composite effect of boosting our power rating - anyone know at what threshold Boudica will definitely not attack? I'm guessing it's something like 110%, but I'm not sure....

I'm also not sure, but this is from the link I had earlier in the thread:

For Boudica
peace probability (%): 0/40/100/100
Where:
peace probability (percentages are for Annoyed / Cautious / Pleased / Friendly relations. Each round, every AI will run a Declaration of War check against every other civilization. This check involves an evaluation of relative military strengths, defensive pacts, logistical considerations (shared borders, ocean crossings), existing conflicts, etc. The Peace Probability percentages above indicate the likelihood that an AI will ignore a decision to declare war due to diplomatic factors. Note: While a decision to go to war is immediate, the actual declaration may take a dozen turns or more);

So if we can get her to Pleased, she definitely will not declare

Correct: Boudica doesn't declare at pleased, as you've illustrated, but the crucial thing (assuming we can't get her to pleased) is at what power ratio she will declare at. Her power's relatively low (for her) right now, so if we can get a couple more cities down and a few swords, it may be that we hit the threshold above which she won't declare...

I'll do some digging very shortly.

Edit: Found it - turns out it's 110% as illustrated by this file in civ4leaderheadinfos.xml:

<iMaxWarNearbyPowerRatio>110</iMaxWarNearbyPowerRatio>

(did anyone else notice an unknown civ have built the Moai Statues in something like 1500BC?) :eek:

How do you see that, moai is a natinonal wonder:confused:

Boudica:
Not sure we'll be able to convert her. It will require a minimum of 3 missionaries (assuming she at least puts up one more city) and probably a bribe as well, for which we'll need Alphabet. She'll be annoyed soon - we might as well face the fact that we'll be confronted with the inevitable attack sooner or later. The good news is that with Moscow and Bombay, we definitely have the production base to defend ourselves...

Im not too worried about an attack from her, our powerrating will be ok soon, she only has 2 cities and not much room. Shold probably build walls in the bordercities though. We will need to convert her at some point my thinking is use espionage which also requires alphabet. It can wait - but for those not using BUGmod make sure to check for war mode.

Production:
Workers for a while in Delhi after the WB, swords in Moscow? Maybe with the odd worker thrown in?

Barb hunting yes, but we need calandar to make those city sites profitable, so there no rush. I would like a couple of axes for the border cities before swords. Make sure Delhi grows to its happycap before building workers, bombay can put out workers it is not too important to grow. Delhi is a huge part of our economy (which isn't great right now) and bureacracy is not far off.

How do you guys feel about our economy now? Im thinking of when we can afford to put up the GP farm (fish/cow/banana) in SW corner. After the second blocker goes up I believe we will break even at about 40% and both blockers are cottage cities I believe

Quick pictorial plus log for now - very boring set, not much happened, I built one sword and am now building workers. Our blocking strategy is complete - I also discovered Maths, which was where I stopped.

Spoiler Autolog :
Turn 136/750 (600 BC) [03-Oct-2009 11:56:48]
Research begun: Mathematics (11 Turns)
0% Research: 0 per turn
0% Espionage: 4 per turn
100% Gold: 21 per turn, 12 in the bank

After End Turn:
Moscow grows to size 3

Turn 137/750 (575 BC) [03-Oct-2009 12:00:00]
0% Research: 0 per turn
100% Gold: 22 per turn, 33 in the bank

After End Turn:
Delhi grows to size 8
Vijayanagara finishes: Monument
Confucianism has spread: Vijayanagara

Turn 138/750 (550 BC) [03-Oct-2009 12:00:38]
Vijayanagara begins: Granary (45 turns)
A Cottage was built near Delhi
100% Research: 44 per turn
0% Gold: -13 per turn, 55 in the bank

Turn 139/750 (525 BC) [03-Oct-2009 12:01:51]
A Pasture was built near Vijayanagara
100% Research: 43 per turn
0% Gold: -13 per turn, 42 in the bank

After End Turn:
Delhi finishes: Work Boat
A Hamlet was built near Delhi

Turn 140/750 (500 BC) [03-Oct-2009 12:03:19]
Delhi begins: Hindu Temple (6 turns)
60% Research: 27 per turn
40% Gold: 1 per turn, 29 in the bank

After End Turn:
Moscow finishes: Barracks

Turn 141/750 (485 BC) [03-Oct-2009 12:05:11]
Moscow begins: Swordsman (7 turns)
60% Research: 28 per turn
40% Gold: 2 per turn, 30 in the bank

After End Turn:
Whip anger has decreased in Bombay
Moscow grows to size 4
Bombay's borders expand
Bombay finishes: Settler

Turn 142/750 (470 BC) [03-Oct-2009 12:05:59]
Bombay begins: Granary (45 turns)
A Cottage was built near Vijayanagara
A Farm was built near Moscow
40% Gold: -1 per turn, 32 in the bank

Turn 143/750 (455 BC) [03-Oct-2009 12:06:53]
40% Gold: -1 per turn, 31 in the bank

After End Turn:
Delhi grows to size 9

Turn 144/750 (440 BC) [03-Oct-2009 12:08:23]
60% Research: 29 per turn
40% Gold: 0 per turn, 30 in the bank

After End Turn:
Delhi finishes: Hindu Temple

Turn 145/750 (425 BC) [03-Oct-2009 12:09:11]
Delhi begins: Hindu Missionary (6 turns)
Pataliputra founded
Pataliputra begins: Granary (45 turns)
60% Research: 30 per turn
40% Gold: -4 per turn, 30 in the bank

Turn 146/750 (410 BC) [03-Oct-2009 12:10:32]
60% Research: 30 per turn
40% Gold: -4 per turn, 26 in the bank

After End Turn:
A Hamlet was built near Delhi
Vijayanagara grows to size 2

Turn 147/750 (395 BC) [03-Oct-2009 12:11:31]
A Pasture was built near Bombay
60% Research: 32 per turn
40% Gold: -2 per turn, 22 in the bank

After End Turn:
Moscow grows to size 5
Bombay grows to size 2

Turn 148/750 (380 BC) [03-Oct-2009 12:12:12]
60% Research: 37 per turn
40% Gold: -1 per turn, 20 in the bank

After End Turn:
Moscow finishes: Swordsman

Turn 149/750 (365 BC) [03-Oct-2009 12:12:55]
Moscow begins: Fast Worker (7 turns)
A Farm was built near Pataliputra
60% Research: 38 per turn
40% Gold: -2 per turn, 19 in the bank

After End Turn:
Delhi grows to size 10
Confucianism has spread: Pataliputra

Turn 150/750 (350 BC) [03-Oct-2009 12:13:59]
Vijayanagara begins: Library (34 turns)
60% Research: 38 per turn
40% Gold: -1 per turn, 17 in the bank

After End Turn:
The whip was applied in Vijayanagara
Tech research finished: Mathematics
Delhi finishes: Hindu Missionary
Vijayanagara finishes: Granary

Turn 151/750 (335 BC) [03-Oct-2009 12:15:05]
Research begun: Calendar (17 Turns)
Delhi begins: Fast Worker (6 turns)

The last screen is where I got the info from the National Wonders from - because it's in BUG, I'd always assumed it was in the main game as well. Maybe it's not though - could be a bug with BUG? :eek:

I also forgot to post the save, and I'm at work now - apologies. You'll have to wait 'til tonight for it :p

Good turns, where are you planning to go with the missionary?

Thx for the national wonder info, i use BUG but didn't know about that. Usefull

I don't like B spreading confu but i guess theres nothing we can do about that

My only small note would be the granary in Bombay being an unneccesary build, was there nothing more useful to build. It will never grow past 7, has sufficient health and is not whippable.

Where next??? swords workers and into the jungle?

Good point about the granary in Bombay - I habitually build granaries everywhere, but I guess there are more important things than that at the moment. Maybe it should build barracks -> units instead. Missionary was heading for Pataliputra (as the little sign says) to help the border pop - I had thought it could do without a monument if it had a religion instead.

Not sure about tech path - there are no beakers invested in Calendar yet, so we have the choice, but I would think that's the way to go.

Production-wise, swords and workers - we should aim for 8 cities by 250AD or so. And, as you say, into the jungle...

We should get some more discussion going in this game, I think.

Here's the save:

Attachments

• TF01-Mahatma BC-0335.CivBeyondSwordSave
    125.3 KB · Views: 49
Oops, I'm up. I had a busy weekend. I should get to it tonight.
I haven't looked at the save yet but are we thinking to build axes for an attack on Boud? Looks like she still only has 2 cities. What has she been up to? Our power rating is 0.9 so it's not like she's been spamming military. Building Maoi must've taken some time but otherwise?

Opened the save...

I'm thinking Delhi should fit in a barracks before swords.

Moscow and Bombay are more production cities.

Do we think Vijay and Pata are going to be commerce cities because of all the grassland and rivers? So focus on cottages, libraries etc.

Do we still want to take a run at Hanging gardens? Moscow?

Boud has been doing some espionage it seems.

Oops, I'm up. I had a busy weekend. I should get to it tonight.
I haven't looked at the save yet but are we thinking to build axes for an attack on Boud? Looks like she still only has 2 cities. What has she been up to? Our power rating is 0.9 so it's not like she's been spamming military. Building Maoi must've taken some time but otherwise?

Surely not. We have looooooads of room to expand - a few axes and swords will take care of any ideas Boudica has, but we should get our economy sorted I think. She'll have to go eventually, but we've got loads of time in which to do it...maybe with maces and trebs, or even rifles?

Delhi should probably build workers for a while, while working the cottages to get them matured. Then our bureaucracy tech output should be pretty big.

Barracks and swords in our two prod cities, I would say.

Vijay and Pataliputra both definitely commerce cities, no doubts about that.

Up to you on Hanging Gardens - if we can get them just after we found our other cities, that would be magical.

Sorry everyone, I got delayed one more day. I started yesterday but I'll finish tonight.

Any thoughts on where to settle next?

kolo was mentioning a GP farm in the SW. 1N of the bananas still, per v8's old dot map, so we can pick up the fish.

I'm assuming we'll want to raze the barb cities.

Top Bottom