Bug Reporting

It shouldn't be in BAT 4.1. It was a terrain feature I was experimenting with. You are the first person who has ever had an issue with it.
I at first thought that maybe the zip file had a different CIV4FeatureInfos xml than the installer version, but both have Scrub. Maybe I'm the only one who's posted about it.

It was listed as a text key error because the supporting XML tags weren't there (by design).
Oh. I had tried to see if it was a formatting mistake. Ran an XML comparison with the same file from Fall from Heaven, which has a similar resource, to make sure I wasn't overlooking some stray character in the name and description. lol.

Really weird that this happened, and I'm sorry that it happened to you.
As far as I can see, the problem should appear to anyone who uses either the zip or the exe from sourceforge. Can you verify this? If so, do you have access to it to fix the upload?

BTW, BAT is not an "unaltered" mod. Only the gameplay is unaltered. The rest (the graphics and whatnot) is fair game.
Yes, but the way Scrub was set up was as a gameplay change, with yield modifiers.

Yes, but the way Scrub was set up was as a gameplay change, with yield modifiers.
BAT 4.0 had the scrub feature but with the yield modifiers made the same as normal desert. I took it out because it didn't work properly. I'm still not sure how it got loose in BAT 4.1. Subversioning problem, I guess.

So far, though, you are the only person in four or five years that has complained of the problem. I know that it doesn't exhibit itself in my files, or in the version of 4.1 that I just downloaded from Sourceforge.

This is really weird.

First off, thank you for the awesome mod. I discovered BUG/BAT years ago and can't imagine playing the game without it now. It is truly amazing how it enhances the experience.

I have been using BAT 4.1 for a while now, but only recently (less than a month) began seeing this error message when starting a new game: "BugConfig - failure parsing C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\beyond the sword\Mods\BAT Mod 4.1\Assets\Config\Strategy Overlay.xml at line 44"

Additionally, after I began seeing this error message, my dot map overlay now continues to activate at the start of each turn, even if I turn it off with the keyboard shortcut. If I uncheck the box for the overlay option in the BUG options menu, the box unchecks, but then is selected again immediately after I close the BUG menu.

I'd appreciate any help y'all can provide. I am happy to provide more information if needed.

It sounds like your strategy overlay file has been corrupted somehow. Try reinstalling BAT and see if that helps.

Thank you for the quick reply. I have tried to reinstall BAT three times. I also tried reinstalling both BAT and Civ IV BTS today. I received the same message.

@Hanno2504 Could you please upload and attach the Strategy Overlay.xml file here so I can have a quick peek at it?

Thanks.

The file is identical to the one I have here, so that can't be the problem. I'm having a hard time finding a reason why you would have this problem. Have you made any adjustments to the mod's code (XML or Python?)

I thought the same thing about the overlay file; it has a last edited date of 20 September 2010, so even though the error references it, I didn't think that could be the actual source. I do not recall making any code adjustments, no. Are there other files I could produce which you think could be related to this one that may not be working as designed?

Having reinstalled BAT a few times since the problem began, however, I did notice that I receive an error message at the start of the process which claims that my CIV IV: BTS version is not updated to 3.19. That confused me, because that is the version I have, yet I continued to receive the message when beginning the BAT install each time. I don't know if that issue is related or not, though.

Again, I appreciate the help - BAT really does make this great game even more awesome and I'm grateful for the assist on this problem.

I'm sorry that this is taking so long Hanno2504, I'm working nights.

Anyway... something your could try is to download the BAT 4.1 zip file and unzip it into your \documents\my games\beyond the sword\mods folder and delete the mod from the mods folder you are currently using. BAT actually prefers to be there.

Another thing to try is to go onto Steam and select "Use the beta DLL" (or something to that effect) in your BTS setup on Steam. Some mods don't like using Steam's modified DLL and have to use the beta DLL which is just the original Firaxis DLL. It shouldn't really make a difference as BAT uses its own DLL, but it's another thing to try.

You try those things and I'll keep trying to figure things out.

Also @Hanno2504 could you go into the mod's \assets\Python\Contrib folder and post CvStrategyOverlay.py for me please? I would like to take a looksie at it.

Thanks.

It's no problem at all, thank you for the help!

I will try the reinstall momentarily. I saw the Steam beta fix mentioned elsewhere in this thread (I think) and tried that already too, with no effect.

The CvStrategyOverlay.py looks to have the same datestamp as the xml file. I tried to upload it, but the site says that "The uploaded file does not have an allowed extension." I think I zipped it into the attached file correctly; please let me know if I did not.

Attachments

• Hanno CvStrategyOverlay file.zip
    4.4 KB · Views: 107
Okay, I reinstalled BAT 4.1 in the location you recommended, and I am running the Steam beta version. After about 15 or so minutes worth of attempts, I have been unable to start a game using BAT Mod 4.1 due to Civ crashing.

I have been loading the game unmodded, then I select BAT Mod 4.1 in the Load a Mod option. Sometimes, this is enough to crash the program. Other times, the mod loads. When I select Single Player / Custom Game, the mod crashes. If the mod loads and I select Single Play / Play Now!, I can guide the program through the various options up until the final screen before beginning play. When I choose to start the game, the program crashes.

In no case do I receive an error message.

For the BUG Mod; the sevopedia states that cities cannot be built on hills, which is obviously false.
Right clicking the research bar with a tech in it causes python errors.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 24
They're both bugs in Sevopedia as far as I can tell. If Hills are supposed to appear under base terrain, they'll need special treatment because Hills aren't a terrain type. (In the code, hills, peaks, land and water are referred to as "plot types".) The terrain type "Hill" defined in XML exists only for some technical reason and is marked as "graphical-only". Similarly, "Land Worked" and "Water Worked" are graphical-only improvement types that Sevopedia should ignore (but does not).

And when the name of the current tech is right-clicked, the main screen doesn't pass any tech ID to the Pedia. The Civilopedia can handle that – will just ignore the right-click –, but Sevopedia doesn't check whether the tech ID is valid. This might really be an oversight in the original game; the main screen should arguably pass along the tech ID.

Here's how I've fixed these issues in my own BUG-based mods: Git commit
Edit: Turns out that passing the tech ID also requires a DLL change. Git amendment
I don't think BUG itself will get updated, but this could be helpful for other modders.

Last edited:
Top Bottom