Bug Reports and Technical Issues

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Sep 11, 2014.

1. HolyHandGrenade

HolyHandGrenade Holy Pin

I analyzed this behaviour in old RFC. It is not only the city flip. It's everything!!
    If you really want to cripple the AI - reload every turn. The problem is caused by the pre-turn autosave mechanism. The save is done immediately right before the human players turn starts, and before the turns of the remaining AI players are executed. That means, the turns of these players are skipped if you reload an autosave :eek:.
    So if you are playing the civ with the internal number 0 you can prevent all other AIs from doing anything by reloading the autosave every turn. Using the autosave is really broken.
    I have done a fix for this some time ago for myself in RFC to avoid this annoying bug for a great mod (and DoC is even greater). If I find the time I can check what can be done to fix this in DoC and submit it to the GIT - if any1 is interested.

HHG

PS: If you are willing to play honest - do an explicit "save" at the beginning of your turn

2. HolyHandGrenade

HolyHandGrenade Holy Pin

I haven't cross checked to the current GIT release but in the download-installer version in File Stability.py Line 1448 ICivicEconomy should be replaced with ICivicLabor

3. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Simperator Knoedel

Woah, that autosave issue seems pretty serious. How come in eight years of RFC nobody has ever made a fuzz about it?

4. HolyHandGrenade

HolyHandGrenade Holy Pin

As far as i remember, this problem was fixed in SoI (and perhaps in RFCE?)

5. Leoreth

Leoreth Vampire of the Blue Moon Moderator

You mean that vassals receive the peoples name upon vassalization?

I'll look into the capital thing, I didn't touch the code for that though.

Is your mod folder called "RFC Dawn of Civilization"? Where is it installed?

I think there are a couple of things at play here. Some stuff in the Rise And Fall code is implemented non-persistently. That is, if you reload at specific points information that isn't actually stored in the save file can get lost. I believe you can also use this to prevent or break spawns.

Everything I have implemented completely myself tries to prevent this problem. This is actually one of the reasons why I changed Congresses to be resolved within one turn (besides the time it took).

This autosave issue seems to be something else though. If you can really prevent AIs from making their turn that definitely needs to be fixed. If you know the fix and want to make a pull request for it that is very welcome.

That's line 1447-8 in v1.13.0:
    Code:
    	if iCivicGovernment == con.iCivicRepublic:
    		if iCivicOrganization == con.iCivicRepresentation: iCivicStability += 2
    Can you be more specific what you mean?

6. DC123456789

DC123456789 Deity

I assume that's a response to serb1389?

7. HolyHandGrenade

HolyHandGrenade Holy Pin

Oops sorry - wrong line number :( - it is line number 1437. Capitalism, Industrialism and PubWelfare belong to "Labor" not to "Economy".

Line 1437:
    Code:
    if iCivicEconomy in [con.iCivicCapitalism, con.iCivicIndustrialism, con.iCivicPublicWelfare]: iCivicStability -= 5
    should be:
    Code:
    if iCivicLabor in [con.iCivicCapitalism, con.iCivicIndustrialism, con.iCivicPublicWelfare]: iCivicStability -= 5

8. Leoreth

Yeah, apparently I didn't finish my multiquote post. Edited in my reply to you.

9. DC123456789

DC123456789 Deity

Yeah. Not all of them, though; India as a vassal of England and Portugal as a vassal of Spain got "Indian Peoples" and "Portuguese Peoples" (or something similar), while Germany (Prussia) as a vassal of Russia kept "Kingdom of Germany". Maybe it has to do with civ-specific vassal names?

10. Leoreth

I'm seeing it too now, will investigate.

11. sercer88

sercer88 Emperor

I can't get the game to give me a victory as Italy.
    (this is version 1.13 no GIT)

I achieved UHV #1 (build the 3 wonders) a few turns before 1500 - and the F8 screen acknowledged it then.
    Then I achieved UHV #2 two turns before 1600, and I got the 2/3 UHV triumphal arch, Golden Age, and the F8 screen showed the 2/3 conditions met.
    Now it's the late 18th century and I've conquered enough of the Mediterranean to control 65% of the tiles, the F8 screen shows I have achieved UHV #3.

But somewhere along the line, the first condition became "undone" or something. I have "Not Yet" achieved UHV #1 according to the F8 screen.
    When I achieved UHV #3, the next turn I saw the text "You have achieved 2 out of 3 historical goals. A triumphal arch has been built in your capitol."

Check the uploaded saves (save from turn after I achieved 65% - game should give me a victory after I hit enter. And earliest autosave I could find.)

The earliest autosave I have is from 1721 and at that point also the 1st UHV goal was undone. I do, however, still have the Triumphal Arch in my capitol.

Attached Files:

12. Leoreth

Just from looking at the code, there should be no way for that goal to revert to unfinished again. Without having a save from before that happened, I don't think there is a way for me to find out what is responsible. Most likely there has been a Python exception that resulted in your game being improperly saved.

If you want to properly win your game, you can recomplete that goal over the Python console (Shift + ~):
    Code:
    from Consts import *
    from Victory import *
    win(iItaly, 1)

13. serb1389

serb1389 Chieftain

Yes it is named RFC Dawn of Civilization. I have a folder in C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Gold\Beyond the Sword\Mods. I have another one in C:\Program Files\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Gold\Beyond the Sword\Mods

14. Leoreth

The first one should definitely work. Can you launch a scenario by directly double clicking it in the PrivateMaps folder?

15. sercer88

sercer88 Emperor

do I type that in-game?

Well then I guess from now on I will have to post every single python error I get in this bug report thread. A fair warning, I get dozens of them in every game. Sometimes, I get them during every single save attempt (regular, auto, and quick-save.)

For this game specifically, I know I was receiving the same 5 errors each auto save from like 1300 up until about maybe 1700.
    That might be when this game was "improperly saved" according to you.
    In fact, it must have been shortly before 1700 when it happened because it must have changed something else in-game: I don't think Germany flipped any cities after their spawn. I didn't think to double-check it or document it though, sorry.

16. serb1389

serb1389 Chieftain

I just tried that, got the blank menu to load again, clicked around blindly and it started as the Vikings this time. Again, just the map, although I can move stuff around and build cities, roads, etc.

Attached Files:

17. serb1389

serb1389 Chieftain

Clicked around some more in that game, presumably pressed the "new civ arose, want to play as Arabia box" and it moved there. There's the new cities, religion images, etc. so most of the mod is working for me, just not the text for some reason.

18. Leoreth

Ah okay, thanks.

Shift + ~ brings up the Python console in the game, and then you can just type the code there.

Yeah. Are you on Git or the installer version? If the former, an update should already solve this problem.

Please enable Python exceptions and screenshot them. The first post of this thread has instructions on how to do that.

19. DC123456789

DC123456789 Deity

TXT_KEY_CIV_PAKISTAN_DEFAULT seems to be missing.

20. sercer88

sercer88 Emperor

Leoreth, I have the 1.13 version which is linked in the first post of the "Welcome to Dawn of Civilization" thread.

I hear GIT is extremely useful so what I'm going to say right now probably won't be very popular with those of you who use it, but whatever:
    I think it's silly to have 2 (or more, if I understand the process behind the use of GIT correctly) versions of the game available.

If you want to use GIT, fine, then make your full releases bug-free. I know, easier said than done.
    If a bug/error is found, then please update your full-release version - don't only put it in the "play-testing" one.